Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 570715 times)

cbielat

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 86
  • Member since Mar '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Lastly, a bit on fuel mileage and RCV's new boots.

Corrected my speedometer using Hypertech Module P/N 730123
I didn't document or take pictures of this, but I tried and tried and tried to get a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to work and I finally gave up. I don't think it's compatible with the CAN Bus network we have. So I painstakingly went with the expensive Hypertech 730123 in-line speedometer calibrator which works great. The software is a bit clunky but no worries as you only need to use it once to configure it and then done. I don't have any pictures of this or even what date it was that I installed it. It was sometime in March.

Fuel Mileage

But now that I have corrected my speedometer (iPhone GPS verified), I can now share my Fuel Mileage with 40s :D Of course at this time I've only been doing 60 MPH on the freeway for a month straight, but good news I've been getting over 18 MPG! So here is a pro tip: If you want better gas mileage just slow down! hahaha

With 40" tires at 60 MPH in 6th gear, engine RPM is about 1,800. (That's almost 500 RPM less than stock!!)

RCV's updated boots
Well guys. All the hype with the new, smaller profile RCV "version 2" boots was for naught. With only around 500 street miles and staying under the speed limit on highways they have died!! :'(

So I've requested new boots and have an idea that might help which is to scrunch the replacement boot as close to the CV as I can before banding it to the axle. I also have plans later this summer that will help a lil with CV boot angles, but more on that later.

I run these axles and had just recently replaced my outer boot two days ago from the original boot design.  I thought they had sent me the wrong boots but they said they had redesigned them.  So, now looking at this post, I'm not feeling so good about the new boots.