Author Topic: The all-new 1990 Daihatsu Rocky  (Read 69896 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: The all-new 1990 Daihatsu Rocky
« Reply #90 on: Oct 08, 2017, 04:47:33 AM »
More impressions from a drive to town.

I think that exhaust leak is really holding it back. You see, the manifold appears to have had coolant dumped on it while hot -- there are cracks everywhere and a couple reasonably sized holes. Also, while driving, there is a quiet mode and a loud mode -- the loud mode is when the exhaust leak gets too obnoxious from the engine having to pull hard. If I am driving down the highway, it feels pretty zippy until the engine gets just enough of a load to go into loud mode. Then I start losing speed and can hardly get moving again. It also tends to run well at the start of a drive, but badly after going at speed on the highway for a while.

What do you all think? I know I need to replace the maintenance stuff, but does it sound like the manifold is also a problem?

Thanks

Hi Lewis,

What do I think? ……  I think you are polishing a turd.  :smack:

Asking if there is a problem when you describe an exhaust manifold “cracks everywhere and a couple reasonably sized holes” is strangely scary.  Based upon your descriptions of the vehicles you have purchased lately, I question whether you have enough auto mechanic knowledge to truly understand what you are actually getting for your bargain deals.  :disturbed:

That Rocky’s life is used up and you have purchased the remnants of a carcass that you are trying to resurrect from the dead.  :thumbdown:

Unless you were to do a frame-off complete restore, after many hours and months and lots of money, you will still have a somewhat unique, worthless turd.  If you were to restore it (and that doesn’t sound like something you want to do), at the end of the day it will still be a historically unique, high maintenance, practically worthless, polished turd...…

..... Albeit perhaps a cute little turd.  :attention:

With that said, lots of guys out there enjoy polishing turds and do a great job of it, so I won’t hold that against you.  :gap:

I have polished a turd.  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls.  :spin:

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2017, 05:08:02 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein