Author Topic: Yes, my Daihatsu Rocky engine is toast. I need your help, please  (Read 14465 times)

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 142
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Two thirds is better than the whole
    • View Profile
Where I got the motor quote, it's a 2wd so those axles appear to be worth avoiding.

I think the V6 axles are out of the muck, so I'll check again. Guy gave me a $300 quote for the axle, but I have to get it off...he told me to flip the truck like a turtle and take it off that way. Plus...it's in the woods with no road to it. :shocking:

Question again for anyone: if I need a w56 transmission, and I find one that matches the years Marlin's got on this site, does that mean if it's a non-turbo 22, a 1986 manual must be a W56, likely a B, but possibly an A?

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
V6 third is a little stronger than 4cyl but probably not enough to worry about in your case. 4cyl is cheaper to rebuild.
What is your wheel base? I streached the zuk out to about 85". I had intended to use a w56 but it was not going to fit. The 5speeds from a first gen are shorter, like 6". Thats what i went with and i wouldnt want my rear driveline any shorter.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
The Rocky stock wheelbase is 85-ish. What's the designation for the first gen , the L-series? And then what t-case works? I'm unprepared for this.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
A 2wd axle would be fine, and with it being 5-lug and spring under, one should be a direct swap.  You can also use an ARB RD90 in it for a selectable locker.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
You can run V6 gears and carrier in a 4Cyl housing, its just a few different bearings.
If you see it, its for sale.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
The Rocky stock wheelbase is 85-ish. What's the designation for the first gen , the L-series? And then what t-case works? I'm unprepared for this.

Yes, L series. I believe the L50 and L52 are the 5speeds? There is a 4speed side shifter (avoid this), a top shift 4 speed (fine if ok with 4speed)  and then the 5 speed.
All Toy 4cyl, manual transmissions, 79-95 can use the RF1A top shift Tcase (someone correct me if I'm wrong). 
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile

Yes, L series. I believe the L50 and L52 are the 5speeds? There is a 4speed side shifter (avoid this), a top shift 4 speed (fine if ok with 4speed)  and then the 5 speed.
All Toy 4cyl, manual transmissions, 79-95 can use the RF1A top shift Tcase (someone correct me if I'm wrong). 

I have a week off coming up; I'm going to have to get under there with a tape measure. In the 22re swaps for the Rocky, the W56 ends up being in almost exactly the same spot as the factory Rocky tranny and tcase. If the 22re and Ls and RF1A are 6 inches shorter, that puts me under the dash for the shifter. I don't know I can move the engine back that far to bridge the gap.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
I think, with a 6 inch shorter transmission, the transfer case will end up interfering with the cross member that supports the front torsion bars.

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Lewis, that's a very good point; I know I'll be into a fair amount of money here, so if I can keep t he front IFS to start, I would like to.

I already have a 2 inch body lift on it, and if I need to for the purposes of driveline alignment, to prevent dropping the motor mounts into the IFS, I will do that.

The front diff  (as with the rear, really) is a modified Toyota 7 inch anyway, and there is a locker and all that available, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I have to be wise where I put my money....at this point. This will not be a rock crawler for me, so I won't need insane articulation.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
You might be able to shift the engine forward enough for it to clear, but I don't know. My rear driveline is going to have a kinda steep angle that I don't like when all is said and done.

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Well, I just clicked on the turle and lost my post. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

This is the information from a swap on the WARFs site (Rocky fan site) to show what a "successful" swap used:

=> W56 Transmission from an 85-88 Pickup or 4 Runner with manual hubs. (I chose this transmission because it\'s known for it\'s durability and is widely available) Be sure to get one that is NOT forward shift. Forward shifted is where the transfer case shifter is mounted in the transmission and the transmission\'s shifter is moved forward on the transmission about 5 inches. This would put the transmission shifter under the dash in the Rocky.  Look at page 2 of this thread for more info. Pirate also has some good info.

=> RF1A Transfer Case. The RF1A is one of the best Transfer Cases ever made. It is a gear driven case (no chains). The one you want is a \"Top Shift\" unit from a 79-91 Pickup or 4 Runner.

Note on spline counts. There were 3 spline counts available on Toyotas during these years and of course they need to match. 21, 23, & 26 splines are what they used, generally the more splines the stronger they are which is why the 23 & 26 spline units were used in the turbo models and some V6 rigs. The most common units are 21 spline which is still highly durable.

This is a side by side to show you what the W56 and Rocky Trans/tcase look like side to side. This is an example of how well the things fit:

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Are you sure one of those is a rocky trans? Looks like a toyota top shift and toyota forward shift

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
Neither of these is a US rocky trans

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Yeah friend, those are both Toyota transmissions with rf1a Toyota cases. One top shift one fwd shift.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
Well, I just spent an hour looking for the picture that showed them (that post is labeled poorly, obviously) and can't. I simply know from the pics that the w56 behind the 22 lines up within an inch or less of the factory holes of the shifter and tcase holes in a Rocky

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
OK, so more looking (quickly) and I still can't "the money shot" I had found before, so I'll search the interwebs this week in case I had it at the wrong site. All of the good pics don't seem to be here, and the guy kind of just threw things in there without pics I wanted...or they're lost. So I did find these two:

This is the non-top-shift tranny and how it's too far back:

This is the Rocky vs. Toy tranny comparison, but still not the one I wanted with the Toy in place:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I can hook you up with a sammie 1.3 and trans. It will easily fit. Has a side draft intake with 44mm mikuni carb. Only thing you'll need is a coil, tcase, and hot wire to starter.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
This will sound like a dumb question, so feel free to tell me that: but, what sort of output can be expected for a carbed 1.3 from a Sammie? Myron at ZOR advised against the 2.0 or 2.3 due to them being fragile, so to speak.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
They certainly arent a powerful beast. But bullet proof as long as you dont overheat them. Super simple.
06 tacoma street truck

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
The 1.3 suzuki engine might be fine. I will say though, that the Rocky I had came with a 1.3 liter engine, and even after the cat was unplugged, it was SLOW. As in, after driving it for a little my Toyota felt zippy by comparison. On the other hand, they might fit better than a 22R with a W56 attached

To complicate matters, I later found a partial blockage further down the exhaust, but even so I think a naturally aspirated 1.3 liter engine might have to work kind of hard to move a Rocky around. If you can dig up torque/hp curves for both engines, maybe some of the experts here could give a better opinion.

utherjorge [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
i think you had that Charade 1.3, though, right? Those absolutely do not have the right curve for a 4x4 with 5.29 gears, methinks.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
i think you had that Charade 1.3, though, right? Those absolutely do not have the right curve for a 4x4 with 5.29 gears, methinks.

correct on both counts