Author Topic: Alistair's 1982 dual cab Hilux from Australia  (Read 25712 times)

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Alistair's 1982 dual cab Hilux from Australia
« Reply #60 on: Jun 11, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
Well I have never really paid much for head before but now times have changed:

These are the new heads I will be using for the rebuild. The old Corvette LT1 heads that were on this engine were unfortunately cracked, so I bought these brand new alloy items. They are not an especially hot head but they flow fairly well and will allow the engine to comfortably run on 91 octane fuel, which is what I wanted. With my piston combination I believe the compression ratio will be around 10.8:1. And yes they are currently stored under my bed  :shades:

Unfortunately that is the extent of my engine progress at this point. But since the car is coming off the road I keep thinking to myself that I should just do as much as I can in one go. So when a friend of mine who paints cars on the side was explaining to me that he was quite interested in a spare 13B rotary engine I had, I happened to mention that I wanted my Hilux painted and a deal was struck.

Keen eyes will spot the large amounts of the original red paint coming through as a result of the terrible paint jobs it has had before, but also the yellow front guard from the single cab parts Hilux from the previous page. The tub was a lot of work to get straight, and whoever originally did the black paint job had prepped some parts really well and not really bothered with the rest of it. On the plus side though the only rust patches were a small section in the A-pillar and a pinhole under the windscreen, and by the looks of things this has never had repair from a bad accident.

This last photo shows how much the tyres protrude past the guards. In America this doesn't seem to be an issue but out here it's the first thing the police check if they pull a modified 4wd over so once it is painted I will be fitting some rubber flares to keep it legal. I am hoping that I can have the engine rebuild completed by the time the car is painted so that I can bring it home and drop the engine in. After that I will need to sort out which gearbox I will be running, make an exhaust, and then think about trying to start it!
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating