Author Topic: The wait is over! Now need to install.  (Read 26843 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: The wait is over! Now need to install.
« on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:21:08 AM »
Hey Hickory Nut,

Congrats on getting a nice long block for your truck!

My limited personal hands-on experience over the past 40+ years I’ve been around engines is a somewhat different and I seem to find that saying it or reading about it, is many times way different than actually DOING it….

Just to share another perspective....

Obviously, the range of abilities an individual may have to work with typical tools, equipment, and resources and all the aspects that go along with simple hands-on engine rebuild or a swap - including just basic maintenance skills - can be from zero knowledge to absolute genius.  And, in the top percentage of highly skilled mechanics, even top-rated engine builders - pick any automotive sport - there will differences of opinion and depth of knowledge.

Perhaps for some people they have the necessary knowledge skills, tools, time, money, and space to “Buy a roll of masking tape, a black sharpee, a note book and a cherry picker.  Label all connectors, take notes and pics ….and it will be “Super easy to do in a very short time”… my hats off to those who can do that!

This is nothing you don’t already know…. Deciding to do it yourself or paying someone to do it is an important decision.  You have just bought a really nice long block, arguably from one of the most reputable Toyota 22R/RE engine builders in the country.  From this point forward the ultimate success of your swap is up to you and whoever touches your truck and engines.

Before I decided to rebuild mine, I did a good amount of research *I should have done MORE* on local repair shops, machine shops, and parts sources. I also spent 25 to 30 hours on the web looking at sites who sell remanufactured short blocks, long blocks, turn-key, and used engines, and several of the popular Toyota forums.  I also looked at buying a healthy vehicle and pulling the engine.

Finding shop/mechanic that you absolutely trust and knows what they’re doing, has experience with a 22RE, has pride in their work, and will charge a fair price for a limited budget, is more than a small challenge in my experience.

When you start working on 30+ year old truck, you may, like me, find parts that are broken, will break, or rusted and are unavailable for replacement.  Even though I took lots of care when disassembling my engine, I still ended up with broken connectors and wires, parts that were rusted beyond use, some that are not available.  One part I had to actually fabricate and I had to drill and tap for rusted area on my frame.  The source of parts is also very important since there appears to be lots of poor quality foreign aftermarket parts.

I believe I have a fairly well-equipped garage, at least average DIYer automotive mechanical skills, and I still found myself scratching my head at times – as my rebuild thread indicates.

Not to pick on kneedownnate, as he appears to be a very confident, knowledgeable and experienced person…. “Buy a roll of masking tape, a black sharpee, a note book and a cherry picker.  Label all connectors, take notes and pics ….and it will be “Super easy to do in a very short time”… is an audacious, highly presumptuous, Pollyanna statement.

Of course I may be unclear on what his definition is of "Super easy" and "very short time"?

Why would a shop quote $2,500 to uninstall a used 22RE and re-install a fresh 22RE long block?

Why does it cost $3,000 and 24 weeks to buy a Stage 2 22RE Long Block from 22RE Performance?

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017, 05:40:40 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein