Author Topic: flux core?  (Read 36037 times)

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: flux core?
« on: Apr 18, 2005, 08:18:42 AM »
well, today i bought a 90A 115v flux core welder to mess with from harbor freight.  it actually doesn't work that bad, but has .030 wire, kinda likes to pop around at first.  would i be better off getting a good spool of some NR211 innershield in .035 diameter?  would that still be suficient for buzzing on smaller stuff, or should i stick with the .030?

it's kind of wierd getting used to using a gun with controls other than amperage(im a certified stick welder, well, until my cert lapses in a couple months :rivers: ). the more wire speed the hotter the weld, right?

i just had to buy one of these things after i could never find anybody to say anything but hearsay about them.  if it doesn't melt down after a few more welds it'll be a nice addition to my tools, at least until i can get 220 ran to my garage(detached) and buy a real 220v buzzbox :ladys-man:

The wire you have now is as big as you want to go with that size welder. Any bigger you will not burn hot enought there for you will not get enough penetration. You don't regulate the temp buy your wire speed. That is done by your amprage, the wire speed regulates how well the welder will perform at that speed. If your sticking your wire in you tip and can't get a bead started than you either need to turn you amprage down or your wire speed up, but actually bolth depending on how thick you material is.  The most import thing is to have the right temprature for the material you are tring to weld. (by adjusting amprage). Then you must adjust your wire speed so that the welder will perform at that temp.

:flamer:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED