Author Topic: 22R Desmog Tutorial  (Read 19363 times)

kawazx636

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Feb '14
    • View Profile
    • 1983 Toyota Pickup Build
Re: 22R Desmog Tutorial
« on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »
A couple of notes before I let you guys have at it:

1) You can make your own block off plates, but I would highly recommend going with LCE's products.  They are the front runners in performance Toyota parts and they provide quality parts and service.

2)  Like I said earlier, this can be done with a factory carb in a very similar fashion, but it does not work nearly as well (trust me, I've done it).  Quit being cheap and buy a Weber, you'll thank me later.

3) The reason I recommend the complete desmogging like above is because those little rubber plugs have the tendency to crack and cause vacuum leaks.  So when somebody says "my desmogged truck is running like crap and won't idle," 50% of the time, it's from those damn little cracked plugs.

4) These instructions are for a manual choke.  You can desmog with an electric (or "water choke"), but my experiences with an electric choke are annoying.  You will need to leave the appropriate sensors and wiring attached in order to use an electric choke.  You also have to ask yourself, "am I really that lazy that I can't just pull the choke knob when I start my truck?"

5) Again, don't be scared, you don't need half the equipment under your hood.  Pop the hood of a hot rod some time... notice what IS NOT under their hood and what IS under your's.  That'll give you a good indication as to what you really need or don't need.  The easiest way to look at it is to remove anything that is not your Weber, intake manifold, head, block, distributor, water pump, timing cover, oil pump, headers and valve cove, but remove anything attached to those parts and cover the hole.  Sounds simple huh?

6) DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR SMOG EQUIPMENT!!!  For two reasons.  One, you may need it later on down the road.  And Two, there are people out there doing the exact opposite of what you are about to do and they would LOVE to have your parts.  I personally sold my smog equipment on eBay for $290.  If you can do the same then that brings your desmog cost down to the neighborhood of $250; especially for those people who are trying to cut corners by being cheap.

7) I will attempt to answer any questions that I can on here, but please use the appropriate terms when talking about the smog equipment.  I posted the diagrams above for that very reason.  I don't know everything about 20R engines, but I know that they should be close enough the the 22R to follow similar procedures. 

8) Stupid questions will receive stupid answers.

9) If I missed anything I will try to go back and edit the write up.

10) Try not to fill this thread with a bunch of BS.  I would like this to be an easy source to smog procedure questions. 

Questions, comments?
DAVE
*1983 Toyota Pick 4WD (Under Construction, see YT build threads)*

Rebuilt 22R, TG Rock Ripper stainless header with 2 1/8" exhaust, Restored chassis, Rebuilt front and rear axles, OME 2" medium duty springs w/ TG 5.5" shackles, Bilstein 5125 shocks, GM rear disc brake conversion, Sky Manufacturing HD tie rod, Ion Style 171 wheels, Falken Wild Peak Tires, replaced floorpan and more to come