olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
desmog
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:38:36 AM »
What all is involved with a de smog? One of my buddy's suggested this. There are no smog laws in my area. cats arent even required for my truck. I am gonna keep the cat, but do I need the egr and coffee can?
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: desmog
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:52:03 AM »
jsut because you want to justify breaking the law doesnt mean it is proper.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:55:05 AM »
There are laws, just no enforcement....... and what are you talking about Jim, your junk has most of the smog equipment either removed or plugged.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:03:54 AM »
most, not really, its a 22r, there are a lot less things on it smogwise than a efi equipped truck. my truck also passes the strict dyno smog 2 system in california.

and since i have tuning issues with it, everything is connected in a hope that fixes it, however it hasnt yet, at least in my testing applications....

hey thats my opinion, you breaking the law has no bearing on me, except it gives offroaders and enthusiasts a harder tiem when they try to pass their stuff legally because the one bad apple ruined the bunch and a legislator saw it....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:23:41 AM »
the coffiee can won't hirt a thing, leave it. egr , well it has good and bad. can help stop pinging.
the rest is not going to hurt power, so leave it on. well the air pump will rob a litle bit, butt not so much that you'll ever know. :twocents:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

olemisstoy88 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:17:52 PM »
But thats the thing, legality. In Mississippi there are no smog tests, an inspection of your vechile involves seeing if you have 1 mirror, exhaust past the headers and one set of working turnsignals. I am not trying to break the laws,I just wanted to know what all is done. I run a test pipe in my other truck, and it has passed inspection tests in my state for the past 5 years, not saying much thought
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:18:32 PM »
I doubt my stuff would pass smog, and I'm not embarassed to say it.  I have a smog pump, but it's not hooked up.  I have 2 vaccuum lines, brake booster and vaccuum advance.  My truck doesn't have to have a cat, and it passed just fine without one anyway.  I've been parked on the wrong side of a gate with a couple of departments on the other side, asking them to open it for me, and my smog equipment was the last of their concerns.  They were far more concerned with how I got there.  The smog requirements for my truck are so lax that I don't think my setup is really an issue.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:20:55 AM »
It's all a matter of enforcement and who is responsible for it. Most PD don't know and don't care to, but don't let CHP or DOT officer under your hood. Even though you don't have to go smog your truck every other year, can still be wrote up for not having the proper federally mandated equipment. So the next time you get pulled over for speeding, be nice, take your ticket and say thank you. You don't want to piss 'em off if you don't have your smog equipment hooked up and he decides to check. :rivers:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

fellowsped

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jun '05
  • sh*t or get off the pot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:51:52 AM »
if there's no smog check wehre you are rip all that crap off. just leave on the brake booster and the vacume advance. it's just power robbing, problem causing crap that you don't need and probly don't want.  regaurdless of what people think it don't pollute that much.  oh and don't worry about a cop checking they ain't gunna ask you to look under your hood to see if you have the proper smog crap as long as you got an inspection sticker they don't care.
remember no matter how bad life gets there's always beer.

money is for rich people

85 toyota p/u, lincoln locker rear, debating on lincoln locker front, 22r desmoged, 31 bfg a/t (worn out but came with truck), the plan; 35 super swamper boggers, duel t-cases, buggy leafs, crossover steering, internal roolcage, rocker bars, a winch, and a few other little things.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:03:52 AM »
If I was you, I'd rip out the Evap canister(coffee can), smog pump, cat, and restrict the egr valve opening.  You can do this by making your own gasket out of a coke can and just punch a smaller hole in the center smaler than the factory gasket had.  This will help limit the amount of carbon being blown into your intake, but still lets the hot air/gases in to reduce pinging.  riping all the other stuff out just gives you more room in your engine compartment, less weight and less stuff to go wrong.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Mtrdud

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2014, 04:26:24 AM »
Get rid of it ALL