Author Topic: 22R Desmog Tutorial  (Read 19523 times)

kawazx636

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Feb '14
    • View Profile
    • 1983 Toyota Pickup Build
Re: 22R Desmog Tutorial
« on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
For the port in your valve cover that sits just behind the oil cap, you can do one of two things:
1) Slap a 5/8" inlet breather filter on it and plug the hole in the Weber filter housing or,
2) Run a 5/8" hose from the breather port to the fitting in the Weber filter housing that comes with your Weber

I recommend #1

Don't forget to hook up your heater core and brake booster vacuum.

The vacuum switches and sensor plugs that come from the wiring harness on the passenger side fender wall can either be plugged or taped off with electrical tape OR if you're feeling froggy, you can track all of those wires back to the Emissions Control Computer located on the driver side kick panel and completely remove all of the emissions electronics.  I plan on removing the wiring from my truck when I get to the body work on the cab so I'll do a write up on that as well later.  Meanwhile, it does not hurt to just have the wires and vacuum ports plugged or taped.  The emissions equipment only "communicates" to its self so if there is no emissions equipment then it's talking to nothing!  If you used all the block off plates mentioned above and removed all the smog equipment attached to the engine and manifold then THERE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO CAP OFF.

FILL YOUR ENGINE WITH COOLANT BEFORE STARTING!!!

After you complete your desmogging you WILL need to time your engine and adjust your carb.  IT WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY if you do not do this!  The timing for a 22R should be 5*BTDC at 700-950 RPM WITHOUT the Vacuum advance.

Now your engine is officially desmogged!
DAVE
*1983 Toyota Pick 4WD (Under Construction, see YT build threads)*

Rebuilt 22R, TG Rock Ripper stainless header with 2 1/8" exhaust, Restored chassis, Rebuilt front and rear axles, OME 2" medium duty springs w/ TG 5.5" shackles, Bilstein 5125 shocks, GM rear disc brake conversion, Sky Manufacturing HD tie rod, Ion Style 171 wheels, Falken Wild Peak Tires, replaced floorpan and more to come