Poll

For those who run/have run the new MTRs, what is your opion of them?

Best Tire Ever
Awesome, huge improvement over previous design
Comparable to old design
Almost as good as the original MTRs
They suck bawlz

Author Topic: New MTRs with Kevlar  (Read 55226 times)

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Re: New MTRs with Kevlar
« Reply #180 on: Sep 05, 2012, 01:45:25 AM »
So i went from 37/12.5/15 old mtr to the 37/12.5/17 mtr kevlar. Right away i noticed they are WAY heavy. My truck felt the weight. My mpg went down from a solid 27 to 16.8 once i added the new axles and stuck them out further i see 14-15. They are much louder then my old tires. Again sticking them out made that worse. My first trail run i hated them. Couldnt get them to bulge at all. I was with a guy from the tire shop and he said they need to be broken in. Run em low pressure. so i dropped to 3psi and 5 psi and still hated them. I drove the 20miles home aired down trying to get them softer. The ride was rough as hell on the trail. From the shake down that i hated i went to the CO 4unner jambo. First trail was wheeler lake. They did ok. Super stiff still. I dropped to below 10psi and i thought they were pretty rough. They grabbed ok. The trail isnt a super hard trail but has some spots that require a fair amount of traction and a few where the soft sidewall would be awesome. Day 2 i ran Chinaman and went to 3 psi. Hardly a bulge but they were starting to. This trail has a few harder spots and i ran this trail with my old set up a bunch the year before. This year i had issues where the year before i walked stuff. On smooth rock in a dusty area traction wasnt a thought. I could get on the edge of stuff id make a foot over the edge and with a little but of spin the tires would stick and go the year before. I think at one point the new mtrs were hot and felt slick. I left the event really sick of the tires. As for my feelings now...They bulge a little they are softer but i kinda like they are not super soft. i hate the weight and i hate the lower mpg. I will just say this..Im thinking that if discount doesn't stand behind what i was told when i got them and my wheels i will be selling them and going to something else.. The issue is not tire related its a service issue. ...I dont love em like i did my old mtr.

some old pics...

some new

If I walk away happy from the store i got them i just hope they are worth a crap in the snow. I will keep em and see if they really do need to brake in.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0