Author Topic: Anyone else like me?  (Read 2060 times)

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
Anyone else like me?
« on: Dec 28, 2015, 06:50:55 PM »
.....who can't keep a rig for more than a couple years?  I swear every time I "finish" some vehicle and start to just enjoy wheeling it I am compelled to get rid of it and start over.  In the last five years I've had about 6 mild to moderately built 4x4's.  I think if I'd just kept the first one the whole time i'd have saved a lot of time and $$. 

Maybe i just enjoy building things..... :dunno:

of course as i get older and have more children, they take far longer to build!!

85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Anyone else like me?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »
No lol I am on my 2nd rig in 16 years. Pretty much because of a kid. It is taking much longer than I wanted but that is ok family time is better
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »
Nope, bought my first gen in 99 and my first toyota 2wd in 95.  Still have both, mostly cause I can't bare to let go of my first toyota.  Used to buy and sell 1 every year or two till I got one I liked and kept it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:46:03 PM »
Bought my new toyota truck in 1986....................

:yupyup:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2015, 09:14:22 PM »
I can't keep a rig for more than 6 months. It's more about building for me. I get bored easily.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:00:35 PM »
For a buddy buying/building/selling is almost a disease, in the 20yrs I have known him, he has gone through 16 rigs, which range from slightly modified stock to custom built Rangerover on portals, and includes a '14 Rubicon that he wheeled for 6 months before got tired of wheeling something he was making $700/month payments on.  Only one, the Ragerover, was totaled, everything else was still a clean daily driver when he sod it.

I have my original rig I bought in '90, and my '91 I picked up in '05, however to satisfy my need to build something new, or try out new ideas, i just buy a  rig headed for the scrapyard, restore and mod it.  This way I am never w/o a rig to wheel, nor in the hole after selling a rig.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

SKULLYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
I manage to find something wrong with every rig i complete...pickups can't haul my family, the Samurai was too small, etc. 

I currently have a dual cased 85 x-cab and am building a FJ55. Theoretically the FJ55 is the closest to what I need....four doors, V8, auto. 

but it's rusty, so im sure i'll get rid of it too :(
85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2016, 07:28:42 PM »
For a buddy buying/building/selling is almost a disease, in the 20yrs I have known him, he has gone through 16 rigs, which range from slightly modified stock to custom built Rangerover on portals, and includes a '14 Rubicon that he wheeled for 6 months before got tired of wheeling something he was making $700/month payments on.  Only one, the Ragerover, was totaled, everything else was still a clean daily driver when he sod it.

Pat wheeled the hell out of that rubicon. 1985crawler and I wheed with him few years ago on fordyce with the jeep. Well 2014 on Memorial Day
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »
Pat wheeled the hell out of that rubicon. 1985crawler and I wheed with him few years ago on fordyce with the jeep. Well 2014 on Memorial Day

That he did. I think it was the last Fordyce run that made him decide wheeling something that new wasn't worth the risk. 

It was funny, I swung by his house about two weeks after he picked it up, and he was cutting the fender flares and considering what sheet metal might be needed to get trimmed to clear 35's. :laugh: 

I guess the dealership freaked out when he returned it, he traded it in, then they called him all upset the next day, demanding he come back.  IIRC, he said they were mad because the undercarriage was beat up.  What did they expect, it is sold as Rubicon certified, can't get upset when someone uses it as it was designed.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

AlohaDave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:32:27 PM »
Aloha Skullyota

Man do I feel ya ! ! !   In the past 28+ years I've only had 4 rigs.  Still have 2 of them but that has not stop me from looking , designing , dreaming & pricing things out.   

That's the wife's job ! !   And bless her heart , she is damn good at it , too ! !

She says I have a  "want to"  problem ! !     Not sure I  "want to"  know that means ? ! ? ! ?   

I think that's why I enjoy working on friends rigs.  It let's me play with a new rig every now & then and with someone else's money !

😎🌴
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2016, 10:38:59 PM by AlohaDave »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
I've been through a few rigs over the years, like about 10 to 15 as a guess but have had the 85 4Runner for quite a few years now. I've been thinking about selling it. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you