Author Topic: First Gen Bumper Ideas - Update!  (Read 27422 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: First Gen Bumper Ideas
« Reply #30 on: Jul 14, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »
I am not much for tube bumpers, but I like the new All Pro design.  I would have them drop the stinger though.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #31 on: Jul 14, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
I agree! it's the best of both worlds as far as bumpers go... Little bit of plate with some DOM looks really good
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 15, 2016, 12:34:37 AM »
Except their website says it's for 84-95.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to see one that mimics the shape of the stock bumper, just with more protection for the fenders and space for a winch.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »
I am not much for tube bumpers, but I like the new All Pro design.  I would have them drop the stinger though.

That is how they should have always been, the plain tube ones have always looked unfinished to me, similar to the single hoop tube doors vs half doors.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 15, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
That is how they should have always been, the plain tube ones have always looked unfinished to me, similar to the single hoop tube doors vs half doors.

Have you seen my tube doors?  They have a plate that covers the hinge area and gives a cleaner look.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 15, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »
Except their website says it's for 84-95.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to see one that mimics the shape of the stock bumper, just with more protection for the fenders and space for a winch.

The design could still be used as a guide when fabricating is an option.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 15, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
Have you seen my tube doors?  They have a plate that covers the hinge area and gives a cleaner look.
Don't believe so, though anything more than something like this has to be an improvement.
http://vvcap.com/img/kODlSIGCdh1.png
This one here just looks like the fabricator took the time to design something for more than just function.
http://vvcap.com/img/EyNkFixYA3T.png

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 15, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »
Don't believe so, though anything more than something like this has to be an improvement.
http://vvcap.com/img/kODlSIGCdh1.png
This one here just looks like the fabricator took the time to design something for more than just function.
http://vvcap.com/img/EyNkFixYA3T.png

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af205/garrett84/cb2d4a47.jpg

It cleans up the look a bit.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #38 on: Jul 15, 2016, 03:07:25 PM »
Diamond that's a good lookin door.. did you make that?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 15, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
Diamond that's a good lookin door.. did you make that?

That is a Google picture of the Shafer Off Road doors that I have. I really like the look for a tube door.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:42:43 PM »
The design could still be used as a guide when fabricating is an option.

I have thought of doing something similar, though it'd require equipment I do not have.  My friend has a dodge powerwagon and I love the hidden winch idea.  But again, after said deer encounter, I am looking for whole front end protection, not just a replacement bumper
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Sep 30, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
Any other bumper ideas? Planning to add a winch on the front of my 82
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #42 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:10:37 PM »
Any other bumper ideas? Planning to add a winch on the front of my 82

Here's a pretty sick weld-together kit from a buddy in Vancouver. I know the guy that owns this place, and he's a pretty cool dude.
http://nwtrailinnovations.com/bumpers/toyota-bumpers/toyota-pickup-bumpers/Toyota-Pickup-1979-1980-1981-1982-1983-Winch-bumper

immi.jfreeman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Oct 03, 2016, 06:47:30 AM »
Here's mine. Built the center out of 3/16 and 1/8 sheet metal. Tubed from 1¾" and 1½" DOM.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 20, 2016, 09:13:25 PM »
Here's a pretty sick weld-together kit from a buddy in Vancouver. I know the guy that owns this place, and he's a pretty cool dude.
http://nwtrailinnovations.com/bumpers/toyota-bumpers/toyota-pickup-bumpers/Toyota-Pickup-1979-1980-1981-1982-1983-Winch-bumper

I like that one ok, but sky has one very similar that is already welded, and I could make an excuse to go up there to visit my brother.  I guess it would boil down to how much you value your time welding it together vs. cost difference.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #45 on: Nov 20, 2016, 09:19:32 PM »
I like that one ok, but sky has one very similar that is already welded, and I could make an excuse to go up there to visit my brother.  I guess it would boil down to how much you value your time welding it together vs. cost difference.
I've since become a sales rep for NWTI. There's a $20 off sale right now on all bumper kits.

You could spend time with your brother welding together this bumper!  👍 Haha

I hear ya though... Time value of money is important. I bet if you had a shop weld it, you'd still come out cheaper.. I'd be surprised if it wasn't

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »
3/16" plate with a little 1/4" where needed. Stupid heavy, stupid tough.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
Do you have a better picture?
RIP KYOTA

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »

Here's my allpro I finished last year

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:32:44 AM by Mac33 »

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
Here's mine I finished last year

Nice looking rig
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »
Looks a lot like the all pro bumper to me  :dunno:  And thanks for the pic, I was on the fence about repainting my truck in red again or going desert tan. 
RIP KYOTA

Mac33

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:44:23 AM »
Nice looking rig

Thanks, I sold it and regret it every time i see a photo of a first gen

Looks a lot like the all pro bumper to me  :dunno:  And thanks for the pic, I was on the fence about repainting my truck in red again or going desert tan.

It is an allpro bumper, that's why I pulled the quote from Blackdiamond

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »
A coworker screwing around on craigslist on my computer lead to me finding a bumper  :wink2:
RIP KYOTA

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: First Gen Bumper Ideas - Update!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »
Pics??
Time to go wheelin!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »
Not yet.  Still needing to plate the frame and get my bumper mount, plus I have the bumper wedged tightly between one of my motorbikes and the wall in my garage.  Hopefully taking the motorbike to a shop to put it on consignment soon and will regain a little working room in the garage.

It is a warn bumper off a 90s hilux, so it'll need a fair bit of modifying to fit the 80.  I will do my best to chronicle what I do and post pics
RIP KYOTA

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »
Do you have a better picture?

Man how did I miss not replying til now? Some of the build pics.

R.DesJardin

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:58:02 AM »
I like All-Pro's Baja style bumper for a tube style.

There is alot of really nice looking bumpers, but it boils down to what works.  Do you want lighter bumper to keep weight down, or do you want to take out a wall with that heavy plate bumper.  I kinda like the power I have and don't want to loose much to a bumper. 

But at the moment, while working on my engine right now, I am glad I don't have a big bumper to be leaning or stretching over to do motor work.  I think this is one of the reasons I haven't committed to a bumper idea outside of OEM.  But I know an Elk or Deer would change that idea. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
There is alot of really nice looking bumpers, but it boils down to what works.  Do you want lighter bumper to keep weight down, or do you want to take out a wall with that heavy plate bumper.  I kinda like the power I have and don't want to loose much to a bumper. 

But at the moment, while working on my engine right now, I am glad I don't have a big bumper to be leaning or stretching over to do motor work.  I think this is one of the reasons I haven't committed to a bumper idea outside of OEM.  But I know an Elk or Deer would change that idea. 

Yeah, sucky part of a Toyota is the low hp stock motors. My bumpers weigh 100# each, plus the front winch. I do find myself using it to push broken trees out of the trail quite often. No worries about bending or tweaking it. It's all about trade offs, and I don't drive mine except to wheel so I give a crap about highway power. :)
R.DesJardin

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
You guys are talking about horsepower and losing it with plate bumpers, but I have plate bumpers front and rear, with an 8274 winch and 150 feet of cable on it. I'm still passing up 22REs and 3.0s with tube bumpers or stock bumpers. My buddy is also on 33s but instead of stock gearing like I have, he's got 4.56 gears. He doesn't have bumpers front or rear and I beat him off the line and in the long stretch on the freeway I can still pull on him... Not to mention tube bumpers aren't exactly dot legal.. But that's just my $.02

YooperYota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
You guys are talking about horsepower and losing it with plate bumpers, but I have plate bumpers front and rear, with an 8274 winch and 150 feet of cable on it. I'm still passing up 22REs and 3.0s with tube bumpers or stock bumpers. My buddy is also on 33s but instead of stock gearing like I have, he's got 4.56 gears. He doesn't have bumpers front or rear and I beat him off the line and in the long stretch on the freeway I can still pull on him... Not to mention tube bumpers aren't exactly dot legal.. But that's just my $.02

Did your comment have a point?