Author Topic: 88 Toyota Pickup 4WD Vibration issues shifting into 2nd gear.  (Read 5033 times)

beans20

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 78
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So I have slight vibration when shifting into 2nd gear from 1st or 3rd, doesn't matter which, also happens when I apply slight pressure to the brakes. You can also feel slight vibration when taking a right turn, not Fast and Furious 7 fast, normal speed. If I press the pedal a little harder it's fine. About 4 days ago I replaced all the bearings and seals in the rear diff along with drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders. Initially I though the rear brakes were catching to much on one side and not the other, but I have readjusted the brakes and the problem still persists. When I replaced my diff oil I used Lucas Synthetic 75W-90. Is it possible that I need to use the limited slip additive? I need some help. My truck does not currently have a lift either. I also wondered if I had a little axle wrap starting to happen but I don't think that is the case. It is also quite possible I did not do enough research to find out the problem but I did and extensive amount before posting here (about 2 days worth). Trust me this is the last place I turned to get answers to my question.

beans20 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
U-Joints are in good working order also.

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Could be the carrier bearing if you have an xtra cab?
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

beans20 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It's a single cab.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Where are you feeling the vibrations, steering wheel, seat, entire cab?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

beans20 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My seat which is really weird now that I think about it. I also have another question has anyone else replace their rear bearings themselves? (Obviously I know the answer to that question.) If so when pressing the new bearing in did you push your bearing all the way in with the lock collar? Or did you just run it in far enough to put the c-clip on, and then when bolting the rear axle shaft back together let the bolts push the bearing where it needs to be?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Vibrations in the seat are generally associated with the drivetrain, from the transmission output to the pinion, as it cycles through its movement under acceleration/deceleration.  The vibrations are generally caused from bad u-joints, or possibly out of balance/straight driveline, or misaligned drive shaft with trans or pinion flanges.  Some of the other times you are feeling the vibrations are likely not associated with the 1-2-3 gear shifts.

A little clarification on the bearings you replaced, do you mean the u-joints, pinion bearing, or outer axle bearings?

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

beans20 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Outer axle bearings. I put the additive in it seems to have done the job but I'm also going to go ahead and replace the trams fluid.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
The outer axle bearings(on the axle shaft), have to be pressed on, it is highly unlikely that they seated properly if you used the 4 flange bolts to try and seat them.

beans20 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No they were pressed in and not by some backwoods job either it was an actual press. But the guy that did it pushed the bearing and lock collar on just enough to fit the snap ring. I asked him if this was going to cause an issue he said it was fine. But once I went to put the shafts back in that's when I noticed they weren't pressed in all the way, but the flange bolts pulled it in the rest of the way. So I am wondering if there is still room for those bearings to be seated all the way in the bearing pockets.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I bearing should be pressed from the hub, not the outer ring.

Fully seating the bearing with the flange would have been seating it with the outer ring, and could have possibly damaged the bearing.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

beans20 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That is kind of what I thought but of course some people don't have a clue what they are talking about. This being my first time ever doing this type of job I should've gone with my gut instinct. But I guess I'm a dumbass just like that guy. Oh well though I know this for next time.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Jack up the axle, take the wheels off and see if you can hear/feel a difference side to side when you spin the axle.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

beans20 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

beans20 [OP]