Author Topic: '93 Pickup V6 - Shifting/Clutch Issues  (Read 1102 times)

JD93TOY

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
'93 Pickup V6 - Shifting/Clutch Issues
« on: Oct 12, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Hi all,

Long story short, I need some advice as my truck is having issues shifting.

A couple years back I had the stock clutch replaced (by a shop) with Marlin's HD ceramic clutch (at the time it was spec'd with a 1600lb pressure plate) - unbeknownst to me at the time, the release bearing was not replaced. Everything seemed to work fine for a good period of time until the shifts started losing their smoothness. It eventually got so bad that I would fight to get it into gear, and if I was coming up to a stop, I would fight to get it out of gear. I then bled the clutch thinking that this may be the culprit - this seemed to help a bit but was still nothing close to normal. I then replaced the flex hose in the system as well as the master and slave cylinders while also making sure I was getting the full throw from the clutch pedal (I adjusted the pedal when I put the new master in while making sure there was no signs of metal fatigue). With everything seemingly up to par, things felt pretty peachy, still not perfect, but a far cry from what I had been wrestling with.
Upon heading out this past weekend, I was sitting in neutral at a red light and proceeded to put it into first. With it in first with the clutch pedal pressed, I could hear a worn bearing noise coming from what I figure to be the release/throwout bearing. The noise would go away once the clutch was engaged and I was moving. By the end of the day on my way home, things started to get rough again to the point where I was almost back to the point of grinding gears once again.

My question: Would a worn release bearing be enough to cause the problems stated above? I will be swapping it out regardless on one of the upcoming weekends but wonder if I should be replacing anything else while in there. I'm tempted to put a lower weight pressure plate back in but realize that really shouldn't be an issue here. The only other option I can think of would be to check the clutch release fork for fatigue....

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
Re: '93 Pickup V6 - Shifting/Clutch Issues
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
put a new pilot bering in your crank while your in there...if you dont have a puller to get it out of the crank (DO NOT HEAT THE CRANK) pump grease through the hole in the bering til it squirts back out at you then find a bolt the same size as the hole and tap it through.  when it pushes the grease it has no place to go so it pops the bering out.  Note: you may have to do this 2 or 3 times.
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours