Author Topic: cs130 gm alternator swap Charge light problem  (Read 1137 times)

GreenYoterKrawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 225
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
cs130 gm alternator swap Charge light problem
« on: Apr 28, 2015, 11:47:59 PM »
Problem: charge and sensor lights stay on, reman'd cs130 alternator is charging system fine (had alt test done) normally the charge and brake light come on together but is an 81 ca so the charge and O2 sesnor light are tied together for a charge system fault.

Mounted the cs130 gm alternator to my 1st gen using TG bracket, had to oval the holes to line up the pulley, which i robbed from my stock toy alternator.
Deleted external regulator, was left with Yellow, red, and the 2 white wires. hooked up my original large white charge wire to my power junction powered directly from alternator + stud. The original smaller Sense wire i just attached to my power junction, i tore open another harness and it runs all the way back through and ties to one of the 3 main power wires off the + terminal.
Alternator connections:
(S) sense: wired to power junction block
(F/I) "field?"/ ignition: wired to Red Ignition wire from toyota harness; goes to switced 12v+ engine fuse
(L) lamp: wired to Yellow charge light wire from toyota harness; that runs to the charge light relay
(P) stator/accessory: not used

Runs and drives fine Putting out a steady 14.2v @ idle
12.50 vehicle off.

Gm wiring says to take 12v switched power supply and run it to a light then to the (L) terminal on alternator.
^^^^ I ghetto wired a sample as above
and the light goes on and off like ot should with alternator charging. What did i need to change?
Im thinking the toyota alternator is the (L) circuit + supply, and the relay and diodes act as the brain to switch power to the lights.
The sensor light has an additional grounding curcuit to trip the light, after xx,xxx miles, it needs to be functional for smog in Ca.

I read the wiring diagram and saw if i removed the charge light relay and jumper wired the alternator charge to yellow, to the Yellow white wires it would run the + 12v feed from the dash lights to the alternator.
Charge and Sensor Lights turn on and off with alternator charging, and the sensors switch circuit is still working.
 Could Not find the info to delete the charge relay Anywhere for a 1st gen. EveN after reading 100s of posts
hope this helps 1st gen owners get rid of th e outdated external voltage regulator

Old post with other info.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94676.0

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015, 05:03:54 PM by GreenYoterKrawler »
I blame the automatic transmission for the wussification of America
If Its got tits tires or electronics, your gonna have problems
I drive a jeep cuz toyota doesn't make strollers