Author Topic: Stupid things to do with your wife!  (Read 4589 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Stupid things to do with your wife!
« on: Mar 27, 2005, 09:40:04 AM »
Here is a story of my stupidity for everyone to enjoy.  Last night my wife and I were out shopping for some sports equipment (I'm sure you don't care) and I found myself in an empty parking lot.  It had been raining so I choose to attempt to kick-out the tail on the parking lot exit.  I had been using my V-8 Tundra earlier in the day pushing the tail out slightly a couple of times.  Since I have 33 inch tires and a Detroit rear locker I thought that I might just get it to slide a bit.  I cranked the wheel and dropped the hammer.  The ride was exciting, but instead of sliding out, We ended up driving on the two passenger side tires with the drivers side one to two feet in the air  :hammerhead:   I managed to correct and bring it down on all fours without any further excitement, but my wife was very upset  :dunno:  Actually, I must admit that I understand completely.  I told here that I might have considered what happened a possibility on dry pavement; however, on wet pavement I didn't expect it at all   :smack: This is just fair warning to avoid doing something similar and proving your stupidity as I did.  Anybody have any similar stories?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid things to do with your wife!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2005, 09:46:01 AM »
My old lady yells at me every time I spin the tires on my Supra.  Its just way more fun to drift thru a corner than to drive thru it like a sane person.

On a similar note, I installed a Detroit TrueTrac into a supercharged Tundra at work the other day.  The customer has a custom crank pulley to spin the blower faster, a Level 10 valve body upgrade to the trans, TRD headers and Exhaust.  The truck flat out hauls ass, and now will leave 2 black stripes  :eyebrow:   

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2005, 10:00:59 AM »
Yup - about three years ago, in the climax era of my SuperCharged MR2, I had exchanged vehicles with my friend for two days. He wanted to see what it is like to drive a powerful car and I wanted to learn how to drift. My friends car was an '86 Toy Corolla GTS with an engine that we had installed cams, adj cam gears, header/exhaust, and intake. It was pretty quick for a NA car.

Of course the GTS came from the factory with a limited slip diff, and the AE86 Corolla is considered as one of the best and most famous drift machine every made.

So I was with my ex-girlfriend - who, from previous experiences in my MR2, was a bit anal about driving and cornering fast (I'm sure you know the type) - and I don't know what made me do it, but the very first day I was driving the Corolla I was able to loosen up the rear end a couple of times around corners but not drifts. Then on the last corner before my home, something just told me to go for it, so I braked late and pumped the clutch and gave it a good turn.

This corner was on terrible multilayer pavement and it also bottlenecks at the entrance such that it is sometimes difficult to pass two vehicles at the same time.

But for some STUPID reason I thought I could drift around the corner, but when I hit it, I drifted wwaayy sideways and paniced and turned back into the corner which of course caused the car to overcorrect again and now I was heading straight for the curb with all fours locked up.

And to make matters worse, our new asian neighboors who speak little english were out walking their granddaughter RIGHT IN FRONT of my car on the grass and this old guy had to move as quick as he could to move out of the way as I slammed into the curb and bumped up in about a foot or so into the grass.

I hit the front of the frame right against the curb and broke a chunk of the sidewalk off. It's still missing to this day even. I don't know how the front suspension/steering system survived because my wheels were turned at full lock when I hit the curb. I should have bent a rim or broke an a-arm but surprisingly nothing happened to the car.

After I did it I was like WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!! :smack: and my ex was EXTREMELY PISSED OFF :maddest: and she said that she never ever wants to ride with me ever again in my MR2 in the mountains as we used to go up into the mountains and I would enjoy the drive while she enjoyed the scenery.

Man that is one of the stupidest things I've ever done in an automoblie and my exgirlfriend was with me. Double whammy

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2005, 10:05:19 AM »
It takes a while to learn the limits of any car....sounds like you came out pretty lucky on that one...

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2005, 10:09:45 AM »
I know :yupyup: I had picked up the car, then went to pick up my ex, then went home and did that. I did that from about a 10min learning curve.  :nonono:  :slap:  :reg:

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2005, 03:37:42 PM »
But for some STUPID reason I thought I could drift around the corner, but when I hit it, I drifted wwaayy sideways and paniced and turned back into the corner which of course caused the car to overcorrect again and now I was heading straight for the curb with all fours locked up.

you should really practice driving on ice, you have to know that when you loose control DON'T step on the brake pedal, remove any foot from the pedals and correct the direction without touching any pedals. Braking only make a thin film of liquid rubber under the tire making you loose control even more. Try to slow it first but if it doesn't hapen , get of the brake pedal and steer it in the good direction.

As for trying a power slide on a locked truck that's a  :nonono:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8421
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2005, 03:53:58 PM »
As for trying a power slide on a locked truck that's a  :nonono:
Why not ? I power slide most of the corners on back roads in the rain on my way to work & back daily.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2005, 04:08:19 PM »
Cause in many situation the truck ends up on his roof or side, I'm not saying it's gonna happen every time just thar it's shouldn't be attempted and even more on dry road.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
solid axle'd

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8421
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2005, 04:15:49 PM »
Cause in many situation the truck ends up on his roof or side, I'm not saying it's gonna happen every time just thar it's shouldn't be attempted and even more on dry road.
I have been driving like this since I put the detroit in the rear in 98. Haven't rolled or even come close in all those years lol. Don't ask how long my back tires or my engines last though........ :yupyup:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2005, 04:19:48 PM »
I was out driving one of my turbo 280Z's and was pulling out onto a busy 4 lane road when I saw a souped up Mustang going by. ( I really hated those 5.0's) Anyway I hit it and just caught up with him in first gear and pounded second when the tail came around 90* to the right. Then I backed off a little to correct and hit it again when the rear came around to the left 90*. This went on about 3 more times before I decided to give it up. The whole time I was rite beside the Mustang and never went out of my lane. It scared the crap out of me and the whole time my wife ( girl friend then ) was sitting beside me holding on.

Another time we were comeing back from WV. towing the trailer in rain so heavy you could only see the end of the hood and maybe the lights of the rig next to you. This was at about 75 mph and the whole time she is hitting me to slow down. I just kept on saying I know where the road is, but now that I think about it that was pretty scarry having that 10,000 lb trailer behind you going that fast next to truckers that could have been going off the road and you rite beside them not being able to see a thing.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2005, 04:19:56 PM »
I have been driving like this since I put the detroit in the rear in 98. Haven't rolled or even come close in all those years lol. Don't ask how long my back tires or my engines last though........ :yupyup:

that's right if you ever want to do it put the pedal to the floor. :yupyup:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
solid axle'd

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2005, 04:34:03 PM »
BigMike, before my brother built up the mr2 motor I sent you the link for he had an AE86 and it was a blast in the corners.  Whenever I drove it I never tried anything funny (like he did when he drove my trucks) but we went to the mall one time cause he wanted to show me how quick the thing would 360.  I figured he was overexagerating, but he revved it up and dropped the clutch and it seriously spun like a top.  He's trying to get the mr2 tuned right cause of the work he did, and with any luck will get a chance to do some autocrossing.  

Possibly the dumbest thing I've done in a truck was alone though.  Went for a late night drive to blow off some steam, went down a road I'd never been down, enterred a very tight left turn way too fast, touched gravel on the side and started to spin.  Dunno how that truck didn't just lay over on it's side but it just kinda drifted to a stop sideways, I laughed for a few seconds then decided to leave before anybody came out to see what happened.

Dumbest thing my brother did was try showing off in front of people on a wet road several years ago in his 79 corolla.  He slid straight sideways into a curb at a decent speed hard enough to completely ruin a set of mini lights(he searched forever for ones with the right offset) and bent his axle and warped the rear leafs.  Wait, no, he did one better.  Shortly after we moved here he pulled out onto the street from our driveway one night, the car behind him was tailgating him with their high beams on so he pulled into the highschool parking lot real quick looking over his shoulder at the same time and ran smack into a big planter which was made of 2 stacked railroad ties.  He essentially totalled his beloved mgb.  Yea, that was dumber.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2005, 04:45:09 PM »
Another time we were comeing back from WV. towing the trailer in rain so heavy you could only see the end of the hood and maybe the lights of the rig next to you. This was at about 75 mph and the whole time she is hitting me to slow down. I just kept on saying I know where the road is, but now that I think about it that was pretty scarry having that 10,000 lb trailer behind you going that fast next to truckers that could have been going off the road and you rite beside them not being able to see a thing.
What about the trip TO WV.  :driving:
We were towing the trailer going down a steep grade. Doing probably about 70-75 mph passing a log truck, as we passed, the air pressure started the rig iinto a fish tail.
MrW was taking up all of two lanes in front of the log truck with the trailer trying to pass us.
He was using the trailer brakes to try to get it under control, he tried tapping the brakes, speeding up, by that time we were probably using up three lanes trying to get it under control. We must have been quite a sight.
Finally he opted for slowiing down, and got it back behind us. The whole time, I'm sitting beside him, holding on to the arm rest, knowing full well he would get things under control, he knows his stuff, but not realizing till he related it later to Wayne, the owner up at Twin Hollow Campground, how scared I should have actually been. :rofl:
Actually, I only get scared when I get that feeling of immenent danger, women's intuition and all that hoohah, which I got when we were driving in the rain. (the story MrW related) I knew we had to slow down and right then. Something would have happened, I still have no doubt.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:54:32 PM »
I would have to say the dumbest thing I have done behind the wheel of a car was driving my cousins Acura on a two lane road in dense fog.  I had stopped for gas and was trying to catch up with someone that was ahead of me.  I was passing cars consistently and staying near the speed limit, but when I came up behind a car, can't remember the type, that didn't want me to pass I pushed him up to about 85 mph and then pulled the car down a gear and passed him doing around 110 mph.  It wasn't far down the road that my buddy noted that I had passed a cop going the opposite direction that looked to have turned around.  I held my previous driving speed and he never caught up.

Another dumb one was a trip in my 00 Camaro SS with 7 other muscle cars.  Some of them were passing 10-15 cars at a shot on two lane roads, kept it to about 4 or 5.  At one point we had 6 cars going over 130 mph, I hit about 140 mph and was passed by a guy that claimed he pinned his 155 mph speedo.  He almost caused an accident because he didn't start breaking in time to stop before he caught the lead car and had to use the oncoming lane to slow down.  It was a three wide event.  The group never went out of town again together.  I have sense traded the Camaro on a new Tundra to be the "family" ride and chose instead to keep my 85 Toy.

Keep your wheels on the ground!   :hammerhead:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2005, 11:30:43 PM »
When I was 17? I think I was heading out to a buddies house in a 360 dodge ramcharger.  I took a 20mph corner at 50, and thank God the road was wet, other wise I would have wound up on my roof.  I slid off the road, and took out two of the corner signs  :scared:  and almost rolled into a famers field. 

:smack:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2005, 02:54:46 AM »
I slid off the road, and took out two of the corner signs :scared:

If you take out the corner signs then does the corner still exist?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »
 :yesnod: city put them back after another idiot went through thefence right there, and wound up on his side in some farmers field
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2005, 10:51:40 AM »
Hey this is supposed to be Stupid things to DO with your WIFE.  :slap:

Any how....

My wife and I went to Myrtle Beach for Bike Week and some guy's were racing red light to red light and of coarse I did not want to be left out so I joined In... with my wife on the Back :smack:  and when the light changed I dumped the clutch and hammered it. Dam near threw her off the back.  :slap: she was  :maddest:  Needless to say when we got home I got her a back rest :yupyup: so I wouldn't get a :spankbutt:
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2005, 04:05:29 PM by 03HDFATBOY »

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »
If you take out the corner signs then does the corner still exist?
LOL! if a tree falls in the forest....very existential BigMike! You bring this thread to a new level. :rofl2:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2005, 05:25:09 PM »
LOL! if a tree falls in the forest....very existential BigMike! You bring this thread to a new level. :rofl2:
Wifey's fav. is "if a man talks in a forest and theres no wimmins around, is he still wrong"?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »
Wifey's fav. is "if a man talks in a forest and theres no wimmins around, is he still wrong"?
:yupyup: it's a given, he's always wrong.

Where is the Mammoth?

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »
yes he is :yupyup: