Author Topic: Cheap shocks for 4 inch lift  (Read 2459 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Cheap shocks for 4 inch lift
« on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:53:29 PM »
I am SAS ing a 87 truck and I need some input on shocks that will have good trail and road ride. I have ran both bilstein and rancho rs9000 and for the money I prefered the bilstien. This time I am interested in trying something different/cheaper if anyone has some other brands that they have used----- that don't knock the feelings out of teeth. I am going to need about a 12 inch travel shock front and rear. Thanks
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap shocks for 4 inch lift
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »
pro crap, lol i mean pro comp

i run bils up front and pro comps out back.

you can also look at monroe shocks,

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/579352-cheap-shocks-2.html
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:47:54 AM »
I've had really good success with the Monroes or the Napa Gas Grande which is the same shock sold through Napa.

The part numbers I use are:

Monroe: PN 34678

Napa: PN 76687

L1/L26 ends so they are pretty easy to bolt up to typical mounts. I think you have to run a 1/2" bit through the L26 sleeve to fit  1/2" bolt. These are 18" compressed and 31" extended, 13" travel.  Moderate valving, gas charged, lifetime warranted.  They start a little firm but kind of break in after the first couple thousand miles, then they stay the same for years. Real nice medium ride quality. Not real stiff, not sloppy either. Great rebound valving. Haven't had one fail on me yet.  They just aren't real pretty, yellow, metal dust cover etc.

The best thing about these is that they take up a lot less space than a comparable bilstien or an adjustable because they don't have the extra few inches of shock body from the adjuster junk or floating valves etc.  You can fit more travel in a shorter package so your hoops don't have to live in the engine bay.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2015, 07:54:39 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »
pro crap, lol i mean pro comp

i run bils up front and pro comps out back.

you can also look at monroe shocks,

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/579352-cheap-shocks-2.html

Thanks man this is what I was hoping to find.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
I've had really good success with the Monroes or the Napa Gas Grande which is the same shock sold through Napa.

The part numbers I use are:

Monroe: PN 34678

Napa: PN 76687

L1/L26 ends so they are pretty easy to bolt up to typical mounts. I think you have to run a 1/2" bit through the L26 sleeve to fit  1/2" bolt. These are 18" compressed and 31" extended, 13" travel.  Moderate valving, gas charged, lifetime warranted.  They start a little firm but kind of break in after the first couple thousand miles, then they stay the same for years. Real nice medium ride quality. Not real stiff, not sloppy either. Great rebound valving. Haven't had one fail on me yet.  They just aren't real pretty, yellow, metal dust cover etc.

The best thing about these is that they take up a lot less space than a comparable bilstien or an adjustable because they don't have the extra few inches of shock body from the adjuster junk or floating valves etc.  You can fit more travel in a shorter package so your hoops don't have to live in the engine bay.

Thanks man.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:45:22 PM »
Has any one run Doetsch Tek shocks?

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/2.asp

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »
Has any one run Doetsch Tek shocks?

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/2.asp

I ran the pre-runners years ago when Downey had them.  The were pretty good stuff.  I would describe the ride as well damped, but not as much road feel as say bilstiens or other monotubes.  I want to say they felt like Rancho adjustables on one of the softer settings.  On par with the Monroes or Ranchos, Gabriels as far as quality.  I liked the KYB gas-adjust skinny white shocks better, although they are small looking.

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2015, 09:34:14 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »
I ran the pre-runners years ago when Downey had them.  The were pretty good stuff.  I would describe the ride as well damped, but not as much road feel as say bilstiens or other monotubes.  I want to say they felt like Rancho adjustables on one of the softer settings.  On par with the Monroes or Ranchos, Gabriels as far as quality.  I liked the KYB gas-adjust skinny white shocks better, although they are small looking.

Thanks again I like the price on these.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
I just run Rancho 5000's, though maybe its because I never had any cavities. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you