Author Topic: Charge Light/Lamp Relay is a lie  (Read 7202 times)

Granddaddy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Charge Light/Lamp Relay is a lie
« on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:27:35 PM »
U.S.A. model, July/1988 PLAIN AS CAN BE Pickup, 22RE F.I, automatic, 2WD, A/C, regular cab, manual windows/locks.
New alternator, new alternator connector, P.S. deleted including brackets.
Checked all fuses and fusible links.
Serious problem here. I have read approximately 11 web forums all about the Charge Light/Lamp Relay cuz my red Charge and Brake cluster lights are staying on. I've tried every suggestion............except for the Charge Light/Lamp Relay because I CAN'T FIND IT! And I can prove it's not at the driver's side kick-panel or the passenger-side kick-panel cuz I took photos!

I thought I had this thing licked because I found out about the diode fix and I read about the green relay connector and the relay having "Charge Lamp Relay" printed on it, it being grey and about the size it is, but then when I started pulling stuff apart to find it, it's not there! How the friggy-diggy is this possible???!! Wouldn't the relay have to be there somewhere in order to set off the cluster lights?? Please help!
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2015, 09:05:07 PM by Granddaddy »

Granddaddy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Charge Light/Lamp Relay is a lie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »
Ok so I paid a visit to my buddies at the local Toyota dealership, Parts Manager, and head-honcho mechanic.
The following is strictly in regards to my Pickup; I am not making any references to any other model. For whatever reason, other's situation may be different.
For my Pickup they said there is no Charge Light/Lamp Relay and it just so happens that this started in my year Pickup, 1988. Prior years did have the Charge Light/Lamp Relay. Just for shifts & giggles, I asked Parts buddy to check 1989 and sure enough there still was no Charge Light/Lamp Relay.
Someone had mentioned a diode, so I asked Parts buddy to check that. The only one that came up was somewhere in the middle of the dash. So armed with all this new info, I went to talk to Mechanic buddy. He said very quickly that it's a bad diode attached directly onto the back of the instrument cluster, and he has dealt with dozens of them and that one had just been in the other day. He said most customers just live with it because the dealership's remedy is they have to replace the instrument cluster/gauge assembly box and that it's too expensive in most customer's eyes. The dealership won't just R&R the diode.
But that doesn't mean I won't try! If I feel like I can de-solder the old one off and solder in something that will work, I'll do it.
Then again I don't need babysitting by some idiot lights. I keep a close eye on my brake-fluid reservoir and I know when my emergency-brake handle is drawn (DUH) so I can do without that brake warning bulb. I can install a voltage meter on/under the dash or with an A-pillar mount and know what's going on with my charging-system so I don't need that bulb either.
And screw you, Toyota, for making customers buy a whole new instrument cluster just because of a little goldang diode!
I just might sell this thing!

GRW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Apr '06
  • 425-903-6392
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:50:49 AM »
I am having the same problem (1984).
I was told the "Charge Light/Lamp Relay" could be the problem, but I was also told they have only went till 83 (the relay).
I have yet to find it yet, still need to remove the lower part of the dash and the vent tube so I can see by the columb (I was told thats the location). Anyone know the location?
Anyone have a picture of what it looks like (eyes are not getting any better)?
If no one has a picture I will take one if/when I find it.
84 XTRA CAB 3RZ
01 Tundra for sale
11 TDI Sportwagon
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=274806

Granddaddy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
I am having the same problem (1984).
I was told the "Charge Light/Lamp Relay" could be the problem, but I was also told they have only went till 83 (the relay).
I have yet to find it yet, still need to remove the lower part of the dash and the vent tube so I can see by the columb (I was told thats the location). Anyone know the location?
Anyone have a picture of what it looks like (eyes are not getting any better)?
If no one has a picture I will take one if/when I find it.

I'm not absolutely saying this is it, but it could look like either one of these(?)

http://shop.cruiserparts.net/images/27790-57010.jpg

http://shop.cruiserparts.net/bmz_cache/8/83135218feac0f7a4a6a9ce404fd0ac4.image.733x550.JPG

Apparently, it has a green socket..........
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/toyota-truck-4runner/53370-charge-brake-lights-stay-charge-l.jpg

Search engine "Toyota charge lamp relay pickup" and then click on "images"

My research shows that for the pre-1988 models, the Charge Lamp Relay could be located on the PASSENGER-side foot-well metal surface behind the vertical plastic kick-panel which is immediately in front of the passenger door frame opening,
OR
on the DRIVER-side foot-well metal surface behind the vertical plastic kick-panel which is immediately in front of the passenger door frame opening,
OR
is sometimes plugged into interior fuse-box/panel,
OR
is inside the dash on the passenger side of the glove-box (towards the outside of the vehicle) mounted on a metal bracket which is mounted onto the metal surface in front of the passenger door frame opening.  It's a pain to get your hand in there through the glove-box opening, but you should be able to slide the relay off of it's metal mount.  If not, use a 10mm socket with an extension bar to reach and loosen the bolt that holds the metal mount to the metal surface area in front of the passenger door frame opening.

Kinda wish the Toyota engineers would make up their mind where to put a relay and leave it there.  Maybe the different locations have to do with right- or left-hand drive?  Many times people post in forums without making it clear which they have or which country they're in.

If it is definitely the Charge Lamp Relay that is the problem, there is a diode fix for it.  You'll need to search for specific instructions, but basically you do away with the relay and plug in the contact-legs of the diode into the socket/connector that the relay used to plug into.  Be careful of which end of the diode with the stripe goes where.  The socket/connector has 4 females so you need to know which ones the contact-legs of the diode goes into.  Search engine "forum Toyota charge lamp relay diode"
This web-page might be what you need for instructions.......
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96661.0

Best of luck!