Author Topic: Charge Light Relay fix  (Read 11617 times)

sjelite

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
Charge Light Relay fix
« on: Apr 28, 2014, 05:09:01 AM »
So I found this information on how to fix the charge light relay on a Toyota Supra/Celica forum. The 80s models Celica’s basically had the same charging system as first gen Hilux (in regards to the Relay).  It takes about 35-60 minutes (depending how far the trip to Radio Shack is) and about $1.00

I have upgraded my Alternator with a 1987 Toyota 70 amp ALT, other than that my charge system is stock. I highly recommend up-grading your alternator with a 2nd Gen Alternator. Its a pretty basic electrical modification.

Step 1:
go to your local electronics supply and get a Rectifier diode 50v (RadioShack PN 276-1101)

Step 2:
Bend the leads and crimp on some quick connect male terminals (whatever they are called)

Step 3:
The Rectifier Diode has a silver stripe, that end will go into the upper right side of the relay socket. (in the picture its labeled B)

Step 4:
The black or Un-striped side will go into the Upper Left side of the relay socket (in the picture its labeled A)

Step 5:
Toss your old Charge light relay aside

Step 6:
Enjoy the fruits of your Labor, revel in your triumph and glory, say goodbye to your evil charge light and hello to your happy once again functioning E-Brake light that will now go off now when you release your e-brake!!!!!!!

I put shrink tubing on mine just for a little protection.
I have the stock SR5 Ammeter to show me if my system is not charging. Im not sure if this modification will completely override the charge light warning circuit. But I believe it will still function properly.
In other words.... you should get an Ammeter installed if you don't already have one.

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2014, 05:34:44 AM by sjelite »

madginger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Charge Light Relay fix
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
Would this work with a stock '83 alternator? I assume I also need to run a ground on post C from your diagram.

I can't find anyone that carries a replacement part (Toyota has discontinued part) and I am trying to figure out why charging only kicks in once 3k RPM has been hit for the first time. After 3k RPM has been reached it charges until I start the engine again. Already replaced everything else in the charging system (voltage regulator, alternator, checked continuity on harness from alternator and grounds).

madginger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
Found a thread from a Porsche board that mentions the exciter may be the issue for my 3k charge start point, though the alternator is new.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum/675289-alternator-not-charging-after-start-until-3000-rpm-fixed-2.html

sjelite [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »
Hey Madginger
Hope you fixed the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it is relate to your relay. I would try this simple thing first. No the C post does not require a ground. Yes it will work with the stock 83 alt

Sorry for the late response.

madginger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
Issue turned out to be a bad alternator. Swapped out for a new one and is now charging correctly.