Author Topic: Anyone own the vision x headlights?  (Read 4212 times)

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Anyone own the vision x headlights?
« on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »
I am thinking about buying a set of the vision x housings and superwhite bulbs for mine and my dads trucks.  Id like to know just how bright are they? I do NOT want to be one of those guys blinding oncoming traffic with some crazy headlights :shocking: :shocking:. Besides, we are generally following one an other on dark mountain roads and we dont want to be blinding each other. If you own a set let me know what you think.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Anyone own the vision x headlights?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
You'll probably get more light adding relays............

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
I've thought about going to Marlin's upgraded lighting.  But my Sylvania Silverstar sealed lights are already super bright.  Even brighter than the brand new housings, and fancy super bright lights I have in the minivan.  They suck!!  But if I need a little extra light, I have some tractor style lights with the pencil beam.  That I rarely ever use. 

I like the idea of using relays for everything.  But here in the PNW with all the rain we get, they all short out eventually, and then your stuck.  I've been thinking about going to the old Ford style solenoids, but with continuous duty rating.   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »
What started me thinking about this is that the headlights on my 80 pickup are a dim yellow light and its hard for me to see at night sometimes. As far as I know they are the original lights from 1980. I need a xmas gift for my dad and thought Id get him a set as well but I dont want to wast money on something thats not much of an improvement.  Maybe Im just seeing the results of 34 year old wiring. 
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
Honestly..  i bought the housing assembly and vision x bulbs. Im not impressed at all. The brights are ok i suppose, but I have been looking into other options.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
I am thinking about buying a set of the vision x housings and superwhite bulbs for mine and my dads trucks.  Id like to know just how bright are they? I do NOT want to be one of those guys blinding oncoming traffic with some crazy headlights :shocking: :shocking:. Besides, we are generally following one an other on dark mountain roads and we dont want to be blinding each other. If you own a set let me know what you think.

I think theyd work well for you for what you want... For driving on the freeway, terrible.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »
Nation, What makes them terrible on the freeway? These trucks see a fair amount of road time.

Honestly, you guys have about talked me outa the idea. Sounds like I can probably get just as good or better light by making sure Im getting enough power to the stockers.

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »
I was impressed with mine. Have the ones from marlin. They replaced a set of old stockers, and I can finally feel safe and see the road not just the lines reflecting the dim yellow hue from the stockers. They are not hid's tho

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
i got mine from MC as well. I installed them and wasnt impressed at all. I like that you can swap bulbs and the housings arent sealed.... I think the color is too soft..  In my situation, a street light is more helpful for seeing the road.  I have been thinking about how much these lights suck for some time now lol. sorry to bash, but yeah.....

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »
You'll probably get more light adding relays............

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

X2, had cibie in my old nissan and they are amazing
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:23:28 PM »
X2, had cibie in my old nissan and they are amazing
Cibie is arguably the highest quality lighting available. Materials are top notch and beam patterns very well controlled. Standard 55/60W clear bulbs are more than adequate for back roads or open highways.  :thumbs:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
From what I've seen, I'd agree, though the only complaints I've heard or read of on the cibie is the glass is a little thin.  I had a set of 7" round cibie I pulled from a parts truck but have no idea what I did with them.  The seal needed to be re-done on both and the glass fell out one day when loading groceries, so in my infinite wisdome (and ignorant youth) I may have thrown away both housings.  Knowing what I do now, I'd have kept them.  I search all headlights I can when in the wrecking yards to see if I can find another pair  :crossed:

I am on the fence between round eyes and cibie now, the former being considered due to having a polycarbonate lense.  Wiring will definitely be upgraded for better benefit, and since Stocker did his and added relays, I'm thinking he will be able to help  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »
^ Yes he will   :D

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
I love the old style glass lenses.  I'm sick and tired of the polycarbonate lenses out now.  They haze up and the reflective material inside fade bad.  I spent almost $300 for new housings for the wifes van.  And they are going bad too.   :tantrum:  I hate having to buff them and clear coat them every couple years.  The OG style glass lenses are the best.  And cheapest.  Want a better wiring setup, look into upgrading your wiring.  Yeah a 30+ year old rig will have wires that are corroded and lose voltage. 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:39:21 PM »
I'm hoping the poly they use on roundeyes is better than the foggy junk they've put on cars and trucks for years, but suspect any of it will degrade over time. 
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
I'm hoping the poly they use on roundeyes is better than the foggy junk they've put on cars and trucks for years, but suspect any of it will degrade over time. 
I wonder why some degrade so rapidly while others last much longer. Our old ZJ had plastic lenses and they held up very well over the ten years we owned it. Just passed nine years with our Tacoma and those lenses also appear virtually as new.  :dunno:

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
I just ordered some flush mount LED bumper lights off a pirate vender.  Shipped to my door they were 90 bucks.  Thats another option.  Get a discreet light bar or pods that you can flip on and light everything up when you are in front, but if you are behind someone or in traffic just turn em off. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:42:57 AM »
I have the light conversion kit from Hella.  I don't know if they make it anymore.  It has nice glass headlights and this way you can replace just the bulbs.  The light output is almost as good as my 07 cummins. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
I agree with the Hella comments.. I had them before, they were nice!

Summit says these will fit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-003427291/applications/make/toyota/model/4runner

although the dims are different that what Marlin advertises ....

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
Just had one of my lenses go bad.  And of course, nobody in town is really carrying the old style housings anymore.  They all had their "House" option for the H6054 lights for my 2nd gen.  So, I had to go with some Wagner BL series.  I would of gone with the H4 series bulbs, and be done.  But by the time I ordered the lenses, got the bulbs, and then made up a upgraded wiring harness, I would have been in it at least $200.  So, I just stuck with the standards. 

But I have decided that, I will do a headlight conversion when I get some extra spare coin.  And I will go with the Hella glass lenses for sure.  Just need to read up on what will do best for the wiring relay setup.  Since most basic relays don't last long here on the coast.  But for some reason, the relays in the stock fuse breaker/relay block works forever.  So, I may find a used Toyota breaker/relay block to make this work.   

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »
I replaced mine with bosch motorcycle headlamps, glass with a nice sharp cut off. Replaced the bulbs with 55/130 aftermarket bulbs. Those things reach out far with the high beams. I can see a half mile out in front of me.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes