Author Topic: Inherited a 3RZ swap...have ?  (Read 6028 times)

onemanarmy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 87
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Inherited a 3RZ swap...have ?
« on: Sep 17, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
Ok, this board has been a tremendous resource, and I've read through most of the 3RZ swap threads here, starting with the 37 page BigMike swap.  Some of my questions were answered there, but I still have a few.

This is where I'll ask and document my troubles (nothing too bad).
I recently purchased an 85 4Runner (was a 22re/5speed) that has had a dual coil ( I think 1999) 3RZ swapped in.  The install was done pretty clean, but not that clean.  Some of the wiring has me puzzled, but I'm working on that.   A lot of the swaps documented here have started with cleaning up the wires and just using the bare minimum, but it appears that a good bit of the 22re wiring is still there, so I'll be working on that and asking questions.   I do not have a 22re or 3RZ wiring manual, but will soon.   

The truck cranks, runs, drives fine, but the idle when warm is low (600 rpm)  What is the correct warm idle?   I can tell it is a bit low due to the vibrations at idle.  Drops to about 500 when turning the steering wheel, but never cuts off.

First things first, I have some questions about the EGR system.    I believe I am missing a few parts, but don't know how negative this affects the vehicle.  I have asked this in another thread here, but will ask here for further clarification.

The EGR valve has been taken off and capped off, but everything else is still there, including the charcoal 'box'  The truck runs good now, but I did get a check engine light today.  I've been driving it for 2 days now, and haven't checked the code, but since I don't have inspections to worry about, I want to get everything hooked up properly and then check for codes.   With the CEL, nothing changed in the driving characteristics.  I have done some reading about some people thinking about deleting the EGR system and trying to fool the computer, but have not seen a completed job.    I'm thinking i'll be best suited to find a EGR valve and hook everything up correctly, unless someone has found a way to get around all this without a CEL.    I just don't want the light on, I don't have to pass emissions.

This i'm not sure about......The hose on top of the intake and the hose coming out of the intake are capped with bolts.....are these critical and are they part of the EGR system?

I've seen a diagram of the charcoal box and the hose routing in another thread, but am still a wee bit confused.

Can someone point out which hose is supposed to go where?

Now, some electrical issues......my diag box has 2 of the wires cut.   How many wires are needed for this to work properly?

AND, there is only 1 wire coming off my T case that I believe is for the 4wd light on the dash, but there are 2 wires that are running near it and appear to be from the 3RZ harness.  What do I need to connect together so this light works?

I know just enough to be dangerous with all this, and can get some more pics and clarification if needed, just let me know.

The level of knowledge here is amazing and if you guys could help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Inherited a 3RZ swap...have ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2014, 07:48:49 AM »
And because everyone likes pics....yes, thats my 55 beside it.  it needs love too.

85 frame, 86 body, 99 3RZ, front axle moved forward an inch to help clear the oil pan.  And the front is lifted about an inch.  IFS rear axle.  4.10 gears.  IFS Hubs and vented rotors/V6 calipers up front.  Some sort of dual electric fan setup.

fit the IFS wheels by grinding the outside of the caliper a bit.  Basically just the raised rib portion.

Plans:
Rear bumper/tire carrier
Proper springs for the rear (block there now)
winch
...the usual

m44offroad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 94
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • 1987 4Runner build
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »
the vacuum ports on the manifold that you have plugged are for a valve on the pressure line of the power steering that increases rpm to accommodate the load from the power steering at idle which explains the idle drop when turning, on my swap I capped those lines off as well.

For all intents and purposes the diagnostic connector on the intake is useless, the OBD2 port to hook a scan tool to should be wired inside the cab. 

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
Not all of the wires on the DIAG port are used when doing the swap. That port is only for a Technician to be able to check engine signals and scope things on the engine without having to back probe connectors on the engine.

I would get an EGR valve and get it on there, IDK why people are always trying the delete the EGR, it is better to have it on any car that you are running on the street, especially if you are running 87 octane fuel.

He is correct the plugged line is for the PS idle up valve. Most are deleted when the swap is done, I will eventually get mine hooked up. 600 RPM is about normal on mine, and yes the 3RZ at low idle will vibrate the truck a little more than the 22re did. I would not worry too much about that, as long as nothing is hitting and it is running ok.
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I do have the OBD2 connector inside the cab and was told it works.  I have yet to check and see though.

It appears that there are 2 block off plates that have been used on this motor.  One is for the EGR valve, is there another tube or valve that connects to the manifold?

The low idle never really bothered me, the truck never dropped below 600 rpms and everything seems to be operating normally, so I'll leave that as is.

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2014, 05:34:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I do have the OBD2 connector inside the cab and was told it works.  I have yet to check and see though.

It appears that there are 2 block off plates that have been used on this motor.  One is for the EGR valve, is there another tube or valve that connects to the manifold?

The low idle never really bothered me, the truck never dropped below 600 rpms and everything seems to be operating normally, so I'll leave that as is.

There is a tube that runs from the exhaust manifold around the back of the head to the EGR valve. I would try a junk yard or something for the valve and tube, because in the end the junk yard used part will be higher quality and cheaper than an aftermarket part. I kept my EGR system in tact and still need to find a charcoal canister for my swap. We do not have smog in South East Virginia, but we have an annual state inspection. Missing or modified emission equipment will fail inspection. Although I am not utterly concerned since I am a State Inspector, I still want it working correctly, that way when the check engine light comes on, I know there is a problem.
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2014, 08:17:54 AM »
Ok, so I've been looking at this a little more....

What does the port closest to the front of the vehicle on the charcoal 'box' connect to?   All of the other ports are connected properly.

The only thing missing on my motor is the EGR valve.  Everything else appears to be connected.  Block off plates have been installed.  Should I be getting a CEL due to this?   

Also, is there a temperature sensor for the engine computer near the back of the motor?   The guy I bought this thing from mentioned that there was and the connector that he used may cause some trouble so Im trying to check that out.     I've tried to locate this and see what is going on, but don't know exactly where to look.   Where is this located and what is the best way to get access to it?

Tungsten Slayer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Its going to be on the back of the head, pretty much dead center.   You might be able to reach your hand back there, but I don't know.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
i find it easy to access the sensor from the passenger side.  I have broken mine a few times haha. oops. its easy to access/replace.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »
found the temp sensor.   not easy at all to get to.  I'm not sure what you would have to do to replace it.  Mine was just unhooked, so that took care of the CEL. 

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »
Its a pain, broke mine after i got the engine in. Had a new one in the 22Re, so i robbed it and put it in the 3rz. I used a wobble extension and a deep socket.
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
Are the upper/lower radiator hoses 3rz part numbers?   I like to have some spare hoses and would like to know some part numbers or which vehicle the hoses relate to, but don't know if there are multiple to choose from.

Crunchy Taco

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Flexiest leaf sprung taco I kno
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
Should all be the same for 3rz tacomas. 2rz lower hose is shorter than 3rz cause of the stroke difference. But yea I believe 3rz hoses 95.5-04 are all same.
98 Tacoma ex cab, Garrett T3 turbo 7psi, w56, 2.28 duals, ceramic sprung puck clutch, toyota solid axle, Tacoma rear axle w/ e-locker, plated frame front and rear, fuel tank raised with custom armored cradle, 1 ton steering 35" general grabbers wheeler/DD built from stock http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95652.msg1066733#msg1066733

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
thanks.  ill check on that.   didn't know if some funky hose combos needed to be used when swapping a 3rz on a first gen 4runner (from a 22re)

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
yes! you will need hose  Gates 20850 I believe the interchange is for a 2002 tahoe lower hose or something..
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the hose info.

Just been driving it around, seems to do ok.   Keep getting a CEL due to no cats.  Its supposed to have a URD?  plug wired in to take care of that, but I guess not.  Thats about the only issue.

Finally found an answer for the open element air filter.  Can't stand the things, and the one I had was a knock off Specter...who knows how good it filters.   Airbox came from a 1993 Civic, fits like a glove with some generic intake hose.  Battery is on the driver side.

and got a winch installed with Trail Gears winch plate, cut the stock bumper as to keep the cleaner look and turn signals

dropzone

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Drive a 1st Gen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »
You might consider remounting that winch control box.  Kinda vulnerable sticking out there like that..
81 Toyota Trekker 221:1
build thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=86346.0

1994 4Runner - Long Term Expedition type Build

onemanarmy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »
good eye.  just have to get some time to make a better bracket and move it (as much as the wiring will allow)

not in the way for my commute to work.