Author Topic: Newbie check in from so cal.  (Read 5699 times)

Davidyoung1377

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Newbie check in from so cal.
« on: Nov 06, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
Hi there marlin board. I'm a long time lurker first time member. I have an 85 4runner and am looking to swap in a 2rz. This truck has been in my family for over 12 years and was my wife's first truck. I am just now getting to where I can bring it back to its former glory.  I have gotten a lot of good info from the guys on this forum just by searching and now hope to get even more now that I can interact. Looking forward to being able to share some of my experiences with you guys after getting so much out of this forum.
You stay classy San Diego

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie check in from so cal.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »
I just realized I should probably give some vehicle info since that's what this site is all about

1985 4runner dlx with sr5 dash
22re Lce efi pro stroker
33x12.50r15 Bfg all terrains
Stock toyota axles with 4.88s and Detroit tru tracs front and rear
4:1 transfer case gear set in stock case
Ome 2" leaf springs

It's been a great trail rig but now I'm ready to start daily driving  her and just need to be a little more reliable.

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

monyman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
 :welcome: from Central CA. :turtle3:
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, Diamond axles, 5.29s, duals, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
:welcome:  II  :turtle:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's good to see so many of you involved. I've been on many forums where new people get flamed pretty bad or they just simply aren't treated with any kind of respect. Seems like you guys really treat the of road toyota community well.

88sasturbotoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since May '13
  • if it aint broke....add some rowdy to the mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
 :welcome: from the other side of the us in western pa
88 xtra cab pickup solid axle swapped 5spd swapped 4.7 swap turbo 15psi swapped = rowdy

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
I have a question. I am reading through the official 3rz info thread and most of the pictures don't show up. Is there a way to see them, or is the problem because I am viewing in a mobile device?

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »
Also I think I found a 3rz in a 99 4runner but it doesn't have the wire harness or ecu. Does anyone have those items for sale? I can't post in the classifieds yet and don't want to post about random stuff just to get my post count up. 

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies. It's good to see so many of you involved. I've been on many forums where new people get flamed pretty bad or they just simply aren't treated with any kind of respect. Seems like you guys really treat the of road toyota community well.

Marlin is pretty much all nice people.   Flaming people is just stroking oneself's ego.  "I'm smarter than you" type BS :blah:.  Everyone has to learn somewhere.

Welcome to Marlin.  Now, buy me a crawl box newbie. :ha_ha:

Your rig sounds nice.  Do you have pictures?   (I forget the required post count).
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
Hey Davidyoung1377 :wave: Thanks for finally registering & posting up! :turtle: :turtle:

What fuel mileage do you get with the 2.6-liter 22R-E with 33s in the 4Runner?

Regarding images check the original post date. It's possible the images simply are no longer being hosted remotely anymore. Any image that is uploaded to our forum should load just fine.

Finding a 3RZ-FE wiring hardness & ecu shouldn't be too difficult however they are specific. I can't say exactly how specific because I only have limited experience with changing harnesses, sensors, and ecus, but T100 harnesses are different than Tacoma's which are different from 4Runners. Also the ECUs are different. There are three main types (distributor [I believe 1995-96], twin coil [I believe 1997-99], and quad coil [I believe 00-04]) and auto and manual will also use different harnesses and ecus.

In your case what I'd do is go to http://www.car-part.com and search for a wiring harness (last option on the drop down list) from a 1999 4Runner. Then I'd go to the last page showing the cheapest price, and I'd start calling only the listings that precisely match a "1999 4Runner" (and with which ever transmission the one you found has). Just start calling up the wrecking yards and start asking useful questions about it, such as... Was the harness cut, Are the plastic clips good, How many miles were on the original vehicle, Was it involved in a front end collision, Was it involved in a front end fire, How greasy is it (might indicate if the donor vehicle was properly cared for), et cetera... Good luck!

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
Welcome! Headed to gorman this saturday to run the miller. Head out if you can/close enough
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
And yes. Not being able to view the pics is due to viewing from ur cell phone. Thats all i have as well. For me..when i click on the little blue box where the pic should be...it downloads to my phone and i can view it in my gallery. It actually kinda helps when ur working on the project and need a quick referance.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I love my truck but think I have to get to 11 posts I. Order to post pics. I have a hard time posting a lot cause I have limited experience. I try to answer all my questions reading what's already up and so far that's done me pretty good.

Big mike. I get between 10 and 15 average 12 with the 2.6. It is the best and worst part about my truck. I love the power but don't like the problems I've had. My father in law had it built when he had the truck and it has been problematic. I wish I was more familiar with the toyota stuff but I just am not sure where to start with it. When I got the truck the motor had been recently rebuilt having around 20k miles on it total and maybe 5000 since the rebuild.  (I was out with him when it popped).I was told not to hook up the o2 sensor since the previous failure had been due to it running lean. The mechanic who rebuilt it adjusted the afm and that is where I am at. It's burned a ton of oil since I got it and gets terrible mpg. I have only ever used it off road and lived with the problems cause the power has always been good and I don't put that many miles on it. I have always wanted to fix it but really don't know where to start and money has always been an issue since I know it was expensive. I wanted to go with a swap cause I like the idea of a completely stock engine and the reliability of it. I don't know if my problems have to do with the performance aspect of my engine or just a shoddy builder but I want to keep the power I have and be more reliable. I recently decided that since it hasn't been getting much attention and I love the truck, I am going to sell my commuter and use that money to get my runner more reliable and getting better mpg. So I can drive it everyday. I love this truck. I think the power is perfect(although a little more is always good) and just want to get it right.

Nation. I wish I could join you but I am busy working 6 days and worry about having to be towed home. Thank you though I appreciate the invite.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 06:14:48 PM by Davidyoung1377 »

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
And I will try using the computer and see if the pics show up. I have seen red "links" but they dot always load on my phone. Thanks again.

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
And it looks like if I get a couple more posts. I will be able to post pics.

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
I have another question. I have one 2" lift springs and there is a big lift shackle in the back that was there when I got the truck. It sits pretty high in the rear. I have 33x12.50r15s on 10 inch wheels and they rub really bad at full flex while turning in the front. They didn't rub nearly as bad with the old worn out springs when the rear used to sag (even with the giant lift shackle). I have banged back the pinch weld and then some and they still rub bad. How are you guys fitting 35s and 37s?  If I go to a 33x10.50 on a stock rim will it rub less? Should I just go down to a stock rear shackle? I need some help here too cause I have found myself bound up bad in some off camber situations and had to back up in spots where I really wanted to go forward so I didn't roll and feel like I got real lucky. Anyway. Any ideas on this would be great too. Thanks again

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »
And now for some pics

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
I've always liked the white body with the Black top, if mine had one I was going to paint the top of the cab black to match but I got white on white.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »
When were those pictures taken?

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »
They were taken about 2/1/2 years ago on a trail called deep creek just outside of arrowhead

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
Yeah I knew it was Deep Creek/Dishpan Springs, I was thinking it was a lot older since it shows you crossing the creek in the water and not on the bridge they built in 2003.

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2013, 06:59:03 AM »
Oh that's a tiny water crossing on the trail in from the Hesperia side. I've actually only ever been across the bridge. I heard that the water crossing used to make the trail a lot more interesting. It's one of my favorites. On that trip we had just got done watching a couple of h2s and a jeep with a winch climb through that section. It was pretty interesting to watch. You are good to be able to recognize it just from some random pics that we didn't do that good of a job taking. I remember the first time I went on that trail I was following my father in law in my mostly stock 2002 tacoma and couldn't believe that climb was part of the trail. We watched two guys on motorcycles walk their bikes up it.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2013, 07:08:57 AM by Davidyoung1377 »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2013, 09:33:27 PM »
I know the creek crossing you are talking about behind the Pinnacles OHV/Jeep Trail route leading to Deep Creek. I know exactly where the climbing pics were taken after taking a left turn at the bottom of a rock strewn hill you climb that water fall as it is known only to find more obstacles until you turn left again.  One of my favorite trails right there and I've done it at least 50 times (no joke). Haven't been there since 2006 though but I'm in the planning stages of a major trip from the Lytle Creek trail to Gold Mountain and maybe all the way to Yucca Valley if time allows. I've run from Silverwood to Gold and back many times but was thinking a massive trip through the entire forest and to the desert would be awesome. I'm going to draw out my plans and submit them to my club for discussion. It would be a 2-3-4 day excursion depending on who goes.

Davidyoung1377 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
That sounds like an awesome trip. I have run gold mountain a bunch of times (very interesting in the snow). I like John Bull too but have only run it the easy way. I have even run from the back side of big bear down to pioneer town and that was a good trip. Mostly dirt roads but still awesome scenery. I would love to run from lytle creek over to the yucca valley that sounds like an awesome trip. I have run a lot of those trails but never in one straight shot. I live right at the bottom of cajon pass and have only run cleghorn recently. I need to hook up with you guys sounds like you run a lot of the trails that I like. Sounds like I really need to get the engine in my truck figured out ASAP. Glamis season is here too and I want to be able to go play in the dunes. I like doing a little bit of all kinds of wheeling.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »