Author Topic: New member, New project  (Read 6279 times)

XJ96

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • My Jeep
New member, New project
« on: Mar 16, 2005, 05:44:18 PM »
Hi, my name is Taylor and I'm from Pennsylvania. I'm 15 but this isn't my first vehicle. I also had a '87 Toyota Pickup which is now my dads, and a 93 Ford Bronco with 345,000 miles. Anyways, here is my new (to me) '96 XJ that I just bought on monday night. I plan on doing a small lift (3-3.5") and sporting some 31's, as this will be my daily driver, and will see mostly pavement but hit some trails on weekends.
-Taylor
'96 XJ 5spd

toyhunter

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 263
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since Dec '04
  • I Dont Brake For Queers
    • View Profile
Re: New member, New project
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:12:03 PM »
Your on the wrong board with that vehicle some people are definetly going to be putting you down with that :stopit: Jeep
Everyone starts off in life crawling but lots of us grow up and still are crawling around everywhere

MUDJUNKY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -428
  • Male Posts: 364
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:26:57 PM »
:welcome: to the board i have a friend that has a jeep on 33's does well but sell that jeep and try and find a yota
"I avoid myspace like the devil himself...  Nothing good can come from having teenyboppers and childmolesters mixed with emo morons hanging out in one place...." white trash.

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:47:51 PM »
Dude why do you guys have to bash on Jeepsjut let him be :twocents:

welcome dude.....get er done
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:58:53 PM »
 :beer:  :welcome:
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

MUDJUNKY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -428
  • Male Posts: 364
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:15:16 AM »
Dude why do you guys have to bash on Jeepsjut let him be :twocents:

welcome dude.....get er done
i wasnt tryn to bash on him im glad to see more people on this forum.  but it is a toyota forum
"I avoid myspace like the devil himself...  Nothing good can come from having teenyboppers and childmolesters mixed with emo morons hanging out in one place...." white trash.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2005, 10:05:08 AM »
:welcome: to the board
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

XJ96 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • My Jeep
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2005, 07:13:59 PM »
been there, done that.

I got sick of fixing it all the time: radiator, radiator cap, and hoses, water pump, oil pump, timing cover, head gasket, timing chain/gears/guides/tensioner, throttle Cable, e-brake cable. It's my dads problem now.
-Taylor
'96 XJ 5spd

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2005, 12:18:38 PM »
 :welcome: But I do have to admit your prolly gonna take a little bashin :yupyup:
I know I sure did when I went onto a heep forum :-\\
Anyway I dont care either way as long as ya wheel it :biggthumpup:
LOL
Roll me back over !!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2005, 01:59:05 PM »
been there, done that.

I got sick of fixing it all the time: radiator, radiator cap, and hoses, water pump, oil pump, timing cover, head gasket, timing chain/gears/guides/tensioner, throttle Cable, e-brake cable. It's my dads problem now.

thats all normal stuff you're gonna have to do anyway, if you keep a vehicle long enough, regardless of what it is  :hammerhead:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

XJ96 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • My Jeep
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2005, 02:03:46 PM »
It only had 140k on it, most yotas I know of last a lot longer then that without problems
-Taylor
'96 XJ 5spd

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2005, 02:15:40 PM »
140K miles is a lot of miles for any vehicle, especially if those were original parts.  That is the type of thing you can expect to have to fix, and the type of thing that would go out after 140k, and things that are more likely to go out under stress, like 4 wheelin.

-Ronald Reagan

XJ96 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • My Jeep
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2005, 06:43:01 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree. I have Bronco with 345k miles that still runs strong and nothing was ever done to the motor. That Jeep has 163k and runs perfectly.
-Taylor
'96 XJ 5spd

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2005, 08:20:43 PM »
Dude, you can disagree all you want, but no matter what the brand, abused engines are not gonna last as long as a vehicle that has been well taken care of

-Ronald Reagan

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2005, 11:07:25 PM »
Dude, you can disagree all you want, but no matter what the brand, abused engines are not gonna last as long as a vehicle that has been well taken care of

well said
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2005, 11:42:56 PM »
a perfect example of that my brother and dad both  the same truck. a 94 chevy silveraldo. the only difference is my brothers is standard cab and 4x4. which he has wheeled from time to time not beaten up on it at all but still put a little more stress on then my dads 2 wheel drive that he has absolutly babied since it was new. my brother has had to replace a few things that my dad has never had to worry about. your old toyota obviously  wasnt very well taken care. and if your going to be trashing yotas you are definetly on the wrong board
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2005, 12:57:34 AM »
i would ahve to agree my friend had a 91 runner with 150k miles on his and my runner has 130 on it and ive wheeled mine and he hasnt hes jsut driven it around he hasnt done anyhitng compared to what i hvae done!
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

XJ96 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • My Jeep
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2005, 10:12:44 AM »
140K miles is a lot of miles for any vehicle

and if your going to be trashing yotas you are definetly on the wrong board
As far as trash talking, I really am not the type of person to start :pokinit:, but I'm not going take it either. If you don't want me to trash talk, then don't do it to me. I was looking to make a few friends on the board, but I guess you're all to arrogant/ignorant.
-Taylor
'96 XJ 5spd

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2005, 04:24:36 PM »
Can't we all just get along :rivers:
$-runner with 220k miles orig. motor,trans and transfer case :gap:
I will have to agree that a babied truck will last longer than a beat one.
Just my  :twocents:
Roll me back over !!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2005, 10:19:10 PM »
Hey, no offense intended.  Personally, I think you are better off here at this board than any other board.  You will run into your arrogant/ignorant people everywhere, but they are fewer and further between here.  You have to understand that you will have to take some crap, simply because you are a jeep owner on a toyota board.  There are other jeep owners on here, but most are toyota wheelers.  I did not mean to step on your toes, but I do want to clear a few things up.  First, 140k miles is a lot, regardless of the engine, and I will stand by that.  Secondly, when I said abused, I did not mean that you were lacking in maintenance, I meant that it was beaten on a 4 wheeled.  I abuse my engine, and many others on the baord can prolly say the same.  Engines are not meant to be bounced around, and tipped on their sides, and dunked under water, and all the other things that wheelers do.  I was not attacking your maintenance at all.
So once again, welcome to the board, and hope you enjoy learning more about wheelin and wrenchin  :thumbs:

:beerchug:

-Ronald Reagan

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2005, 10:50:14 PM »
sorry if i upset you i was just tryin to make a point. i personally dont have a problem with you or jeeps. there not my favorite rig and personalyl think yotas are way better but thats just my opinion, im  just sick of pulling my friends jeeps out of the mud all the time. you can build them up pretty nicely though, so keep at. and if you were closer to washington id love to go wheelin with you. sooooo, to start over.............. :welcome:  :beerchug:
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »
 :welcome:

Even though this is a Toyota forum, I think its pretty cool we got people coming on here with Fords, Chevys, GMCs, Jeeps or people with no car at that. Even if you own one of those vehicles, it might be cool for them to just come on here and see what people do to Toyotas that may be way differnt then what people that own jeeps do to theirs (ie SASing a IFS rig). Come on now you guys, just let him be. He used to own a Toyota, that should count for something. If you get bored of the Cherocar then check out 4runners if you want the SUV type vehicle. And dont say we are all arrogant/ignorant. We all (well most) are not. You have to remember, about 96% of the people on here own Toyotas, so when something is said about them, we all tend to react. Just you really have to rember this is a Toyota forum and you own a Jeep. There is other Jeep owners on here like Infernal Jeep. He is cool guy. Hell, people on here have once owned a jeep.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:01:07 PM »
I just have gas :fart:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

XJ96 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • My Jeep
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2005, 03:19:28 PM »
Got my lift, wheels and tires.
-Taylor
'96 XJ 5spd

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 10:45:16 PM »
We need more pics.....also what kind of lift and tires did ya get :headscratch:

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2005, 01:28:18 AM »
:welcome:

Even though this is a Toyota forum, I think its pretty cool we got people coming on here with Fords, Chevys, GMCs, Jeeps or people with no car at that. Even if you own one of those vehicles, it might be cool for them to just come on here and see what people do to Toyotas that may be way differnt then what people that own jeeps do to theirs (ie SASing a IFS rig). Come on now you guys, just let him be. He used to own a Toyota, that should count for something. If you get bored of the Cherocar then check out 4runners if you want the SUV type vehicle. And dont say we are all arrogant/ignorant. We all (well most) are not. You have to remember, about 96% of the people on here own Toyotas, so when something is said about them, we all tend to react. Just you really have to rember this is a Toyota forum and you own a Jeep. There is other Jeep owners on here like Infernal Jeep. He is cool guy. Hell, people on here have once owned a jeep.
Thanx lilbudd!!!...Well said,couldn't have said any of that better than you did.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2005, 03:14:52 PM »
 :beer:
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 03:35:47 PM »
 :welcome: Welcome to the board, I have a Jeep too, some advice....... get that Yota back from dad once he fixes those little problems. :hahaha: 
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 05:05:51 PM »
yo,welcome to the board! and too all the guys saying that "this is a toyota board", where does it say that only toyota owners can join? you guys need too quit hating and telling him too get a yota,obviously he doesnt want one,he got a cherokee cause he wants one. anyway,theres no point in arguing with some of you. the rig looks nice by the way,what future plans do have for it. well good luck :thumbs:  :beerchug:
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2005, 05:28:39 PM »
 :welcome:     Should we take bets on how long before he puts the Jeep up fo sale???    Im just messin man, glad to see you had the guts to log on here.

A lot of us may give you crap because most of us used to own a Jeep, and discovered the Yota. Its pretty rare for someone to Go from Yota to Jeep, but its a 4x4 so thats what matters!

Keep us posted on the mods etc.... and dont be afraid of another Toy in the future just because you had some basic maintenace items come due on your old truck.  Even the best cant run forever!   

Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.