Author Topic: I want to know about dual Transfer Cases.  (Read 3352 times)

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
I want to know about dual Transfer Cases.
« on: Mar 13, 2005, 07:49:02 PM »
Can someone help me understand what the hell to do??? I have a 89 4runner with a v6 and really want to get into whellin hella bad. I know that I need to change out the gears when I get bigger tires. I was thinking like 5.29's. BUt the real question is after I do do a axle swap will it really be worth it to put in a dual transfer case??? What will it help with and how does it work. One last question...about how much money will it cost me to do that?? Should I do a locker first or should I do the transfer case???????? Thank you for helping me. I am so new to this.
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: I want to know about dual Transfer Cases.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:24:32 PM »
Weld the rear, spend the money for either the dual cases or the axle gears, or both would be great.  dual cases are one of the best things you can do to a truck.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2005, 09:26:07 PM »
dual cases are one of the best things you can do to a truck.

foxrider, go here: http://www.marlincrawler.com/video/index.php, watch all of the videos, and then come back here and after you clean the :drool: from your keyboard post back and let me know why you want one so bbbaaaaadddd!

I would only recommend 5.29s if you are planning on running 37s or taller. If you are going to stay at or under 35", then go with 4.88s. I know everyone says 5.29s are good for 35" tires, but I hate it. 3500rpm to "cruise" at 75-80 MPH is not my idea of an ideal gear ratio. I can't wait to get the 37s this summer.

A rear locker is definitely a great help.
Then when you get a front locker, its like 100 times better.
Then when you get a Crawler, its like the same jump from single rear locker to dual lockers, times 10.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »
How it works....the transfer case from 4cyl toyota trucks has 2 halfs. The rear is the 4wd section that sends power to the front wheels. The front part is the low range gears. By using 1 complete t case, and using a marlin adapter, you can mate the front low range section from a donor case. This gives you 2 low range box's to choose from. 1 is stock, 2 is oh my god it'l climb anything.
My marlin crawler was the single best mod i've ever done to my rig. You can wheel without lockers, but if you have big tires, you need good gearing, or you'll just burn up clutchs.

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2005, 06:52:48 PM »
You approach a steep acsent, you shift your foreward case into 2.28. You ease into 1st and notice the rocks may be a little to large to idle over without slipping the clutch etc...

no big deal- try shifting the front case out of 2.28 (stock) and shift the rear (if equipped with 4.7 gears) into 4 low, keep in mind you can do this in 2wd.

The gear reduction alone of the 4.7 gears is so low, your truck will most likely idle over most large rocks without too much complaints.

Now if this is not low enough, you can ADDITIONALLY shift the front case back inot 2.28 and have an overall gear reduction of nearly 226.1!!

This means that no matter what your truck encounters ie: tree stump, wall, dirt mount, other vehicles, the tires will continue to turn AT IDLE with zero throttle input. I tested mine out with both axles locked, and it simply dug four large holes  (roomate was p^ssed but still laughed a bit) in out back yard.

The gear reduction is so rediculously low you feel unstoppable and you wonder why  you didnt do this sooner.

Keep in mind you still can row through the five transmission gears if you need to speed up a bit. But I hear it is unwise to go beyond fourth since the gears get progressivly weaker (less teeth on the gear)

The reduction is of added benefit because you are greatly increasing control of the truck, and greatly reducing the likelyhood of breaking parts, or body damage. Birfs would be fairly vulnerable if your running larger than 33's and are locked up front. I upgraded mine just for added insurance. And i run 33's with 4.88 gears.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask anything you want, thats what this site is here for.
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:14:38 AM »
When you are crawling over big rocks and stuff if you go to fast you are bouncing around hitting your head and beating the crap out of you rtruck.  With stock transfer case even low isnt slow enuough to stop the bouncing.  So you start using your clutch to slow down a bit, but it is hard to use the clutch and the brake while still applying a little gas, and you burn through your clutch. With dual cases you go so slow you arent getting bashed around and you can take your time and get the best line up the rocks...no more bashing you r head or your truck and you dont burn through the clutch.

I know this wasnt the most technical post but if you are just starting it gives you a feel of why it is so important on the trail :thumbs:

844x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »
Sorry big newb here.  But what years of transfer cases will work?  I have been reading many posts but haven't seen a list of what years.  Or how do you tell a chain drive from a gear drive case?
It takes a long time to achieve "instant" success.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2007, 05:53:27 PM »
Sorry big newb here.  But what years of transfer cases will work?  I have been reading many posts but haven't seen a list of what years.  Or how do you tell a chain drive from a gear drive case?
start by reading the tech articles here and search harder

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/support.htm
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »
theres a link on the main website  that deals with identifying the gear drive versus chain drive

here ya go  http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/tcaseinfo.htm

i am 99% sure all  79-88's  had  gear drive,  after 88  V6's had chain drives
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
7 Bolts!   :yesnod:

He forgot the magic word.   "Revive"    :rofl2:
I like to Drive!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2007, 10:06:53 AM »
wow a major thread revival haha. go to the marlincrawler main page and look at the t-cases. they have a list there of what t-cases came in which year behind each motor. you will need a top shift gear driven t-case for the rear, or the conversion parts to turn a foreward shift into a top shift.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

844x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »
I found the transfer case bible from the main site.  Will any top shift case work with my 11/83 front shift case?
I might have a line on an 89 top shift case from a 4cyl will it work?  Or did something change in 89?? 
Yeah I know this is a big revival haha!
Should I create a build-up  topic and post my questions in there?  I have already posted an intro in the newb section.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007, 09:20:12 PM by 844x4 »

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »
you have the type 2A transfer case in an 83 pickup 4cyl correct? (marlin crawler main page, t-case, dual t-case page there is a link that provides you with the information about what t-cases came in each year) if so then all you need is the gear reduction part of that case (front part, this case becomes your crawl box) and a top shift t-case for the rear case.

USAF EOD tech

844x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:35:18 AM »
So as long as I can find a top shift gear drive case I should have no problems?  I just want to know before I buy a $100 paper weight. 

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2007, 11:14:06 AM »
:yesnod: that should be all you need besides the dual t-case adapter from marlin.

when you get around to doing this you will need to pull your stock t-case apart and will only need the gear reduction half of the case.

USAF EOD tech