Author Topic: 4 banger vs six  (Read 13089 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
4 banger vs six
« on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:33:07 PM »
Well guys I made up my mind to buy a newer- 1990-95 toyota pickup. My dilema is this- 4cyl or the six.  I have talked with a few owners of the six, and they have had zero trouble. A few had the recall work done for the head gasket but there was no timeline on that recall so im not too concearned with that.

The trouble is in my location; there are MANY six cyl available out there and very few 22r-e's.  I love the little engine that could, but Im willing to go the larger engine route.

Now, I have also heard a few gripes about the 3.0's lack of power. How does it stand up in comparisson to the 22re?  Is it night and day? Is the gas consumption much higher???  I will be only running 33's and perhaps 35's  after the 33's go bald, I currently have 4.88 gears.  Also, will my 4cyl third member work ok with the v-6 power????  I will be doing a sas swap as well.    Your opinions count!  I need a truck asap cause right now im on foot. So any truck is better than no truck.

I have found a 1990 six with 133,000 miles, a/c....bergundy 4x4 and clean condition. carfax checked out. with a price of 5500
second truck was a 94 4cyl 174,000 miles, unknown engine history and a price of 5800  but very clean

thanks in advance!     :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2005, 01:05:29 AM by guywithuglyyota »
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

tanman2003

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 225
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Feb '05
  • The Tan Man
    • View Profile
    • My 4Runner
Re: 4 banger vs six
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:58:36 PM »
the v6 is lame, under powered for what it is. poor gas mileage, crappy transfercase, the 4 cyl is pretty easy to work on, but the v6 has a good rear axle.

imo id get a 4cyl 5 spd.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2005, 07:05:45 PM »
Well, I own a 91 pickup, 22RE, and I love it.  Of course, I'm a little biased, but in my opinion that little 4cyl gets my truck movin pretty good.  I've got the stock 4.10s and like 225-75 15 tires.  I can hit 85-90 mph on the freeway with still alittle left in the motor.  Mileage is good, great on the highway, and reliablility is great also.  Aside from the oil leak, I have had zero trouble with the motor, It has about 135000 miles.  It even passed emissions tests, 2 speed idle.  I'd imagine that a V6 in the same truck would be a little quicker, I'm not sure what the mileage would be like, probably not that much different.  Personally I would go for the 22RE, one major factor is that from what I've seen, there seems to be more aftermarket parts for the 22RE and it's drivetrain than any of the V6 motors.  The four cylinder will also be lighter in wieght which will help with weight distribution.  Just remember, horsepower isn't everything...Hope this helps!
Welders Hold the World Together!

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2005, 07:36:24 PM »
id go with the 22re also i just think its a much better engine, if you have to have a v6 you can do the 3.4, its far better than the old 3.0 :beer:
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »
cool thanks for the input guys, thats the thing I dont have to have the v6 at all. I would much rather do the 4cyl, but like I said they are sort of hard to find with low miles around here. Does anyone have any experience with the v-6???? I have seen a few on autotrader with over 250,000 miles, so it cant be to bad an engine.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:54:25 PM »
Ive seen yugo's with 250k does that make them a decent car?  The 3.slow is an abortion of an engine, I love yota's to death but that engine is garbage.  Just something to think about.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:02:18 PM »
I personally like the 4cyl engines, but have never driven a v6 toy.  As far as ease of maintenance and mods your way ahead with the 22r.  As far as the 2 trucks you found I'd hafta say the prices are a little high, but value depends on the area, what's a $4000 truck here might be a $5000 truck where you live.  I do hafta say that 90 burgundy is quite possibly one of the best colors they've used, and the color I wanna spray on the 80 or 86.  Since you're gonna sas it then that kinda erases the worry of the ifs crap, and I don't think you need to worry about the strength of the 4cyl third behind the v6, but if you ever feel like regearing you could just go with the v6 gears.  Keep lookin for other trucks, and be picky if you have the time.  I kept losing trucks when I bought the 91 and jumped on this one when it came up, and now I kinda regret it cause of the fading paint and the fact that I can't sell it to save my life.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:12:04 PM »
WT posted while I was writing, and I would listen to what he says, I hafta respect his opinion, he's done a lot with these things.  On the other hand I was just talkin to a guy that owns a local yard the other day and he was tellin me that0 the old toy flatbed they have with the v6 was purchased by him new in 88 or 89 and has almost 300,000 miles with no real problems.  He said it is a little surprising, and I know they aren't easy on that truck.  With every vehicle made by every manufacturer there are always exceptions to the rule, some toyota engines have all kinds of problems, and some fords don't have any problems.  I don't think toyota would have expected my 22r to have lived through the abuse and neglect that I've subjected it to, let alone last to nearly 350,000 miles(it's still tickin too), and would gladly let the toyota techs have it back to do some testing.  I really wanna buy a new toyota truck and do proper maintenance and see how long it will last, but don't particularly like the tacomas, nor can I afford one either.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:24:14 PM »
Those are some harsh words WT!   Can you give me a little insight on why??  I heard a rumor toyota equipped many 90's trucks with them just to get rid of them! Perhaps this is why im having such a hard time finding the 4.  I will be swapping my 4.88 gears from my 81, so power should nt be too much an issue with my 33's.  Ok then, what trucks have the  3.4?? most articles state v-6 and thats it. Is there a vin number code to tell the diff?  I willl have to change my duel ultimate to 23 spline if I do the v6.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:33:13 PM »
The 3.4 came out with the tacoma in 95.5.  The 3.slow is a v6 with 4 cylinder power and v6 economy.  If you flop on the passenger side and once righted you try and refire it there goes a couple rods.  They have an issue with oil pooring into the passenger side back of cyl's when off camber, so when you flop it gets hydrolocked with oil.  They are extremely hard to do routine maintnance on.  The water pump is ran by the timing belt which is hidden behind the whole front of the engine.  The spark plugs are a cruel joke to change, the driver side isnt too bad but the passenger side is a nightmare.  If you need any more encouragement go price a distributor cap for one. ;)

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »
Ok some of what you have said it true and some not the 3.0 is ya slow especally if you have an auto they are gutless whores but with a 5 speed they are more powerfull then a 22re. The v6 is a reliable motor if you take care of it it will last FOREVER and thats comeing from a cert toy mechanic, they are really not that bad too work on the timeing belt aint that hard too do, its just if your used too a 22r then ya you will think ohh :pokinit: when you take a 3 appart but its not hard, a good thing about the v6 is say you break a timeing belt no big deal take off the frt cover and change it out when they break it dont hurt your valves like a 22re will if you break a chain you better just give your wallet too the shop where you take your head too get all new valves and stuff so thats a plus there. as  for plugs they are not that hard but ya more difficult then a 22re where there is nothing there but exhaust crap.
ive heard some rumors about the hydrolocking oil but ive never seen one thats came too our shop and ive worked on prob 30 v6's and around the same or more 22re's worked on 2.7's in the new tacomas 3.4's and even have been into the new iforce v8 got one of those sittin in the garage even :)
On the v6 get the vin numbers and call toyota and tell them you want them too run a VO6 recall check on that set of vin numbers, if it is one on the recall then buy it and take it too toyota they have too install a brand new shortblock as part of the recall, just dont remember what the recall was for.
I would go with the v6 my self and im actually in your shoes right now looking at 2 diff v6 toys now but if all you have ever owned and worked on is a 22r then go with it because if you have never worked on a v6 toy before you will prob be scared when u open the hood and go inside.
good luck whatever you choose
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:02:57 PM »
Thats what im talking about! I appreciate the detailed response. I think I will go with the silver 4cyl. The guy says its extra clean (like that will last with me) and apparently he was told the engine was overhauled???? I may run a car fax on it to be sure. He did not have receipts for this but it has zero leaks and 175,000 miles. He is near Arizona and there is a lot of highway out there so they should be easy miles. its completely stock except for a toyota installed a/c system.  Bad part is he wants 5500 for it.  Which is rather steem but kbb books it at over six!   The up side is my t cases will bolt right up, and like you said WT its lawn mower easy to do maintinance on.  Ok does it sound like I talked myself into the 4cyl???    :haha:

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:04:32 PM »
I know a guy that has killed 3 3.slow by flopping them.  

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »
hey thanks for the advice adam. I think toyota has done a great job engineering all of there engines to some extent, granted the 3.0 may be sort of a b*std in the OFF ROAD crowd.  The oiling problem does concearn me, is this the same motor the camry's had? I heard they had oil sludging issues but im not sure if this is the same engine. I would love to have more power with the 3.0 (granted not much more) but I have not even driven a fuel injected 4 cyl, and I hear they have a bit more pep and better driveability. These are good posts I appreciate this
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2005, 10:17:46 PM by guywithuglyyota »

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:19:59 PM »
Buy the 4cyl truck and don't look back......but take a close look at the paint, is it factory or repaint?  If it's factory it's either peeling or gonna peel soon, the clearcoat on them isn't good and they all fade out or peel eventually.  If it's aftermarket check real close for bondo/imperfections and poor paint work.  Ask him if you can pull a spark plug, my 91 runs great but the plugs cake up with deposits on one side within 5,000 miles.  It's not necessarily a problem but makes good bargaining fodder.  If it's super clean I'd low-ball the guy with $4800 and see what he says.  Remember, low-ballin is always easier when you take out a wadd of cash in front of the guy and then make the offer.  I always keep my extra cash in another pocket just incase they won't come down, and I always act really embarassed to make the offer so they don't get offended.  Strangely it seem to work pretty well.
RIP KYOTA

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:27:37 PM »
yeah Nate, you read my mind!   :yupyup:   My next post was "the psychology of being a cheapskate"  I DO NOT want to pay too much. And I will definately take a look at the plugs/paint etc... believe it or not im having a hard time finding one of these trucks in decent shape, most have over 200,000 miles on them, and are beat. Any reputable dealer does not carry a used truck of that age (i cant believe 94 is old now!) and I simply do not trust the small parking lot salesman. I will be discriminating since i have not been in the past and I got   :flamer:   for it. (96 grand cherokee, did zero research). Now here is a question, yes I know im thinking waaaaaaaay to much into this but..... I noticed some of these trucks were manufactured in Japan (vins start with J  )  and others with a 4. Im assuming some were assembled in the states?   This does not effect my decision really, but I figured I would throw in a little toyota trivia.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2005, 11:01:48 PM »
I work at a dealership and totally agree with WT.  The 3.0 is a stupid engine.  Buy the 22RE for no other reason than simplicity!

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2005, 11:19:28 PM »
Luke:
I know this may not be exactly what you are looking for but it is a 22re, close to you and really clean. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=7297.0  ;)
SAS it with your parts and you are set for your new assignment. :usa:
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2005, 11:25:56 PM by Shoyrtt »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2005, 11:25:52 PM »
hey thanks for the link!  its an old post but that does look like a good deal, especially with the work hes done to it. You brought up another decision I was making, to pickup, or to 4runner.  I love hte idea of packing stuff into an enclosed truck, the rollbar etc....hmmmm 

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2005, 02:59:18 PM »
Save yourself the hassle of the 3.0 and the 3.4 and just put a 2.7 in. End of story.  4Cly reliability and gas milage with V6 power
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2005, 03:32:08 PM »
2.7?  is that stroked 2.4 from LC???

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2005, 05:45:34 PM »
Nope 2.7 is what BigMike put in his rig.  Its a 3rz I think is what its called.  They came in the newer taco's t100's etc.

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2005, 06:04:37 PM »
so I would need a wrecked taco, for the computer and harness... I think I know where one is. it still had dealer plates! 

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2005, 09:36:38 PM »
If you don't pick up that taco lemme know, that's pretty tempting.
RIP KYOTA

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »
I have 2 v6s and I love them.  They are under powered but they do have more power than the 4's.
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »
have any of you guys heard anything about the LC engineering stroked 2.4's???  Looks like they stroked em to 2.6. Bu the short block price is over 3,000!   :smack:

Thanks for the info on the v-6! Well see if this guys truck can pass smog.  I pulled up a carfax and it failed a few times, then passed then failed, then it looks like he just said forget it and registered it for Arizona (he lives pretty much on the border)   The ad said new cat so maybe thats why he failed. Im always skeptical of a vehicle that fails smog, sometimes its only visual, sometimes it can mean a bad motor....     :crossed:

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »
I know a guy that has killed 3 3.slow by flopping them. 

but you would think that after killing 2 of them he would know about it and remove the spark plug before starting it. :hammer:

of course if I didn't had a 3.slow from the beginning I'd probably have something better but it's just a matter of treatting it with respect.

And the 3.slow is slow but don't try to fool people saying it as the same power then a 22re that's totally false.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2005, 10:52:01 AM »
I you go with the 3RZ aka 2.7  you have the option of getting a TRD supercharger for it.  Which I think boosts the motor from 150hp to 190
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
i will more than likely not be doing the tacoma swap any time soon, just because im moving and all. What I would really like to do is a turbo diesel swap! I wonder how hard it would be to do that. Apparently the VW TDI engine is an awesome candidate

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:25:55 PM »
but you would think that after killing 2 of them he would know about it and remove the spark plug before starting it. :hammer:

of course if I didn't had a 3.slow from the beginning I'd probably have something better but it's just a matter of treatting it with respect.

And the 3.slow is slow but don't try to fool people saying it as the same power then a 22re that's totally false.

Not this guy, he's truely an offroad idiot.  Nice guy just stupid.