Author Topic: TC with new input gear and old counter shaft gear.  (Read 1144 times)

hamish_18

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
TC with new input gear and old counter shaft gear.
« on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »
Hi All,

I was searching around, and couldn't find much about my question..

But I am starting to build a dual transfer case setup for my 4runner, and will be getting the 23 spline input shaft for it. But I am a little weary with putting the new input shaft gear with the already well used counter-shaft gear? It just seems to me that this could be bad for the 2 gears? I don't know maybe I am thinking about it to much.

Please let me know if you guys have had those concerns, and have or haven't had problems from it?

Thanks!

Cyberman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
I just put a new input 23 spline shaft in an old tcase, no worries.  But, I'm sure someone will take your money, if you want to buy a new 2.28 gear set.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

'91 Xtra cab 3.0 SAS, 5.29s, single 4.7 transfer, locked f/r, 35s
My Frame-up Rebuild Thread

hamish_18 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
I guess the new one will just wear in with the old gear? I just look at it like ring and pinion gearsets. I would never put a used pinion gear with a new ring gear. To me you're just asking for trouble. But these gears are not the same type, so I didn't know if the same applied.

btw I know what you are referencing in your response, and I didn't even know they had those until after I pulled my reduction housing out, and saw a chipped tooth on one of the countershaft gears.
Thing is I can get another TC for 40 bucks tonight and just use it's countershaft with the 23-spline input.

Another thing is I don't see many failures posted between the input shaft gear and countershaft gear, so I assume this isn't an issue for many.

Can anybody out there that has ran a 23 spline input for awhile now comment?

Thanks,
Chris