Author Topic: HELP ME PLEASE W56 rebuild, chipped 4th gear on the input shaft side  (Read 8818 times)

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
updated...  put a SMALL chip in fourth gear.... like less then 1/8" of contact area lost on the far edge... should I polish it out and run it... or replace it? let me know what you think, I will try to post pics later
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010, 02:39:33 PM by billybobf »
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I made these tools todo it. I used long 12" bolts with nuts to pull it. Work great! Slipped the u-shaped plate behind and used the top end of another puller looks kinda like =====O=====!!!! Make sure you take the c-clip off holding it on

If you see it, its for sale.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile

I know there is a SST to pull the fifth gear off the output shaft... I dont need that one
sorry man... I figure that ones easy to make, Im trying to find out how to pull the clutch hub number three, its the one with the thin steel plate on the back of it, looks like an oil slinger or something on the back side but its to hold the little springs in place on the hub since normally there would be another synchro on the other side....

see the red coloring on the FSM pic? thats the part Im looking at pulling
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I don't think I had a part that looked like that on my W56B..........(unless mine wasn't exactly the same shape as shown)

I got away with using gear pullers, hammers and brass punch to get everything apart..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
hammers and brass punch actually work really well... lol
I broke my puller trying to pull it on my last tranny.
I will take a picture and get it on here as soon as possible

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
SO, got it all apart.... dont know where I was having the problems, I just remember damging that peice last time.. But I went out there... step by step and it came apart no problems... thanks for the help guys... will post up more when I need more help

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
GREAT!When i took mine apart that oil slinger was damaged and i had to use a hammer to reshape it. Enjoy!

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
no damage to mine at all.... mainshaft center bearing had .109" of "endplay"   craziness

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
new problem, chipped a gear... ALSO  still looking for the little reverse lockout pin as mine is broken, let me know if you have one you'd sell cheap

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I bought a crapped out trans from a scrap yard for $75, for hardware, and just used the best of both, anywhere else is big $$. ille look and see if i have any left, but prolly not.

boggerunner

• Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
ive got a w56b with a bad input bearing, id sell the whole thing for $50, or pull it apart and sell u parts, let me know.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Show a picture of the chip.

At the edge you just need to dremel it so it's smooth.

Also search for 'chip tran' , there's a couple of other threads about this........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
gotta love macro mode... lol

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Looks like it's not in the contact pattern.  (it's not a #5 above)

I'd just smooth them out with a dremel so there's no possibility of crack proprogation

(and get rid of the pits on the other side)

BTW, I don't think that's 4th.....  4th is direct drive, no load on countershaft
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
you know... your right.. that must be third... lol its whatever is the one ON the input shaft.... but your are absolutly correct. forth is the lock on the end of that gear 1:1 so no gears engaged

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I would never use that. You are putting the time, energy, money into why risk it. I would spend the cash and replace that broke ass gear. You cannt see the little micro fractures and the last thing you want is that thin edge to brake and destroy your hole trans.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
so what would you do? break in a new input shaft?

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Im kinda needing to get this thing done.... IF I am doing a new input.. I need to get it done. as well as find a replacement reverse lockout pin....

I may just CLEAN that bearing as it feels alright... and run it till I can replace it..... but who knows.. if I could find a new input for CHEAP I would run it

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Is the chip on the drive side or coast side of the gear?

Coast side I wouldn't worry.

Drive side, just for paranoia, I'd put some grease on it and run it thru and see how the contact pattern is and feel for any roughness at that spot.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
thing is on a helical cut gear like that.. you wont be able to feel it.... it probably makes up 5% of the contact area or less. that and I will have to put the entire tranny back together to test it out and I dont know that it comes back apart when you are done. I beleive that in order to get a good test of smoothness it would have to be reassembled with the new bearings (old ones were so far gone it wasnt funny)  once together that may be the ONLY peice that will come back aparts, although it might not come back apart. because you have to clear the synchro cone for fourth gear and I dont think stuff moves enough to do that

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
I would either leave it as is or replace it with a part from another trans.  It's too expensive to buy a new gear.  I would personally just leave it.  When I rebuilt my trans I busted up a 5th gear.  I just used a 5th gear from a spare trans.  But if I didn't have the spare trans then I would have just left it.