Author Topic: Hit and Run  (Read 6262 times)

Greencorey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hit and Run
« on: Sep 22, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »

Somebody hit my daily driver / tow rig during MCR11 and did not have the courtesy to leave a note.  :smack:  It's a 93' Dodge W-250. It was parked connected to my trailer off the road going into the Rubicon staging area on the Tahoe side. This is what we all have insurance for. Accidents happen and can be handled. Luckily, I didn't have to drive back to Canada or somewhere far. I live in the Tahoe area and was able to call a friend in Tahoma and leave my Toyota / Trailer at his house. We took a chance driving the Dodge back home and we made it home okay. It doesn't look like much but it drives like it has a flat tire the steering wheel is 180* off of the normal position. The fender can be fixed but the bumper is real bad. Yesterday my friend and I noticed the frame was cracked by the steering box. He was kind enough to weld it closed for me. We could not tell what is exactly wrong with it besides the cracked frame. I need to get it to my mechanic to find out how bad it is and what needs to be replaced and repaired. I would hope the person who did this would come forward and let the insurance companies (that we all pay so much money to have) take care of this. I will keep coming to the event. I have been going for seven years now but may have to find somewhere else to park for now on. If anyone has any info regarding this please PM me. Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2012, 05:05:03 PM by Greencorey »
"If you don't live for something you'll die for nothing"
-Hatebreed

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: Hit and Run
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2012, 05:07:04 PM »
 :thumbdown:

That sucks. Hopefully someone mans up. Used to this kind of thing in public but I try and hold fellow wheelers to a higher standard. Good luck man, hope someone comes forward before the karma train gets rolling.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
wow thats some gnarly damage to the steering system from a tire hitting your rig..... looks like a bigger mud tire..... sometimes i wonder if people who drive some of these vehicles even know when they hit things.... these people definitely knew it...
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

Greencorey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »
:thumbdown:

That sucks. Hopefully someone mans up. Used to this kind of thing in public but I try and hold fellow wheelers to a higher standard. Good luck man, hope someone comes forward before the karma train gets rolling.

I remember waiting for a lady for 30min. to let her know I bumped her car in a parking lot. It was windy and I didn't want to leave a note. Hopefully I can get lucky and find a bumper for cheap.

wow thats some gnarly damage to the steering system from a tire hitting your rig..... looks like a bigger mud tire..... sometimes i wonder if people who drive some of these vehicles even know when they hit things.... these people definitely knew it...

They must have hit me going fairly fast because it moved the the truck and trailer forward. They were driving out for sure. I know the type you are talking about. The ones who drive by Braille.
-Hatebreed

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
Wow! I saw this on our way out Sunday morning.  I hade someone run into the front of my rig last year and take off with my license plate.  Hope someone saw them and they get caught.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
Wow serious bummer! :down: I'll ask around to see if anyone we know has any info on this...
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Greencorey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2012, 08:23:47 AM »
I got my truck back from the mechanic. :gap: He said my alignment was real close to being right on. That means all my rod ends and linkage are good and not bent. The impact was absorbed by the steering box. So here the damage so far. Cracked frame, bad steering box, steering coupler, bumper, fender needs to be buffed and straightened, and the humility of driving around with my truck looking like this. :rivers:
-Hatebreed

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »
That sucks so bad man. Come back by when you can and we'll finish fixing the frame. Any luck finding the updated steering coupler?

Greencorey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
Wow! I saw this on our way out Sunday morning.  I hade someone run into the front of my rig last year and take off with my license plate.  Hope someone saw them and they get caught.

Damn, hit and run, with a license plate theft! Two other friends of mine saw it the night before with no damage.

Wow serious bummer! :down: I'll ask around to see if anyone we know has any info on this...

Thanks, all help is much appricated at this point. I'll keep my head up and press on.

That sucks so bad man. Come back by when you can and we'll finish fixing the frame. Any luck finding the updated steering coupler?

Haven't found a coupler yet. Most u-joint rplacements I've found are 36 splines. The computer a NAPA says it may be a 32 spline. Until I have the new box or take mine apart I will not know what I'm looking for.
-Hatebreed

Greencorey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
 :gap: I would like to start by thanking Ninja Turtle for hours of hard work put into fixing my Dodge. I think he deserves turtle points for helping a fellow wheeler in need.  :thumbs:  :turtlehead:  :thumbs:
We removed the radiator and noticed it had a slight leak. So off it went to be rebuilt $90. I bought a new gear box and thermostat at NAPA for $100+ dollars. I won't say exactly how much because I work there. Tear down went well besides the pitman arm giving 4 hrs work to be removed. Ninja Turtle noticed a few cracks. On top of the frame, on an ear of the mounting plate for the steering box to the frame, and the front spring hanger.  He welded all the cracks and plated the top of the frame and threw in a gusset for more strength. It's now back together and ready for a new bumper $150? and a fender massage.

-Hatebreed

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2013, 10:51:25 PM »
That sucks man!  Never found out wjo did it?

I have a 91 w250 and i should check my frame I guess.  My wheel is off and it somewhat pulls to the right after a few seconds now.  I did just replace my tie rods and center link and alligned it to 1/8"toe in.  :dunno:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »
Wow thanks for the update! Looks good
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Greencorey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2013, 06:57:15 PM »
Wow thanks for the update! Looks good

Thanks to Ninja Turtle it looks that good! Thanks for all the support! Let's get Ninja Turtle some more turtle points.  :turtle: I've been driving it and it feels great too!

That sucks man!  Never found out wjo did it?

I have a 91 w250 and i should check my frame I guess.  My wheel is off and it somewhat pulls to the right after a few seconds now.  I did just replace my tie rods and center link and alligned it to 1/8"toe in.  :dunno:

Never had anyone come forward yet with any info.  :inthedark: Look around there is probably some cracks. My truck drove great until this accident. I'm still looking for a bumper if you ever get ride of your front bumper. I've looked at one off an 90' Cummins but I like the 92'-93'step bumper.
-Hatebreed

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:05:11 AM »
Glad it's driving good. Good thing we live so close to the trail or that could have been expensive getting it home. Just another reason I want to make my rig street legal.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
Thats flipping lame
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Danimal415

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
I haven't been back to the Rubicon in a long long while, sadly. One of the main reasons is because of sh*t like this. Sorry this happened and I hope you find out who did this. One time my buddies rig broke down on the trail, he pushed it off to the side off of the trail as to not cause anyone any issues for passing, etc. He drove out with friends got parts made it back in 2 days and some a**holes pushed his rig off the side of the trail and over a cliff! Luckily some Pirates helped him out and they winched it back up and fixed it and drove out of there. I only wish we would have found those jerks! I have no patience for trail freaks. I hope in your case you find out who did this!

Greencorey [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »

I haven't been back to the Rubicon in a long long while, sadly. One of the main reasons is because of sh*t like this. Sorry this happened and I hope you find out who did this. One time my buddies rig broke down on the trail, he pushed it off to the side off of the trail as to not cause anyone any issues for passing, etc. He drove out with friends got parts made it back in 2 days and some a**holes pushed his rig off the side of the trail and over a cliff! Luckily some Pirates helped him out and they winched it back up and fixed it and drove out of there. I only wish we would have found those jerks! I have no patience for trail freaks. I hope in your case you find out who did this!

Thanks for bringing this back up and your concern for my situation. Wow, you went through a lot harder situation.  I never got any feedback on who may have hit my parked vehicle.  This won't keep me from MCR12. I'm leaving today after work and planing on parking in the same vicinity of this accident. I've been enjoying the Rubicon trail for 13 years and MCR for 8 years now. I won't let this stop me from going.  I just hoped if I put it out there someone may help fix this accident. My bumper is still twisted but the vehicle is safe to drive.  I recommend to get back out to the Rubicon  on a non-busy week. The area is to beautiful to miss out on.
-Hatebreed