Author Topic: Protect your vehicles! 2011 USA Auto Theft Report  (Read 5116 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Protect your vehicles! 2011 USA Auto Theft Report
« on: Aug 07, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
It's not 'new' news, but I thought I'd post it anyway, Source: http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ten-worst-cities-stolen-cars-tilt-toward-west-180309401.html

The 20 worst cities for stolen cars tilt toward the West Coast, again

Car and truck thefts nationwide fell in 2011 by 3.3 percent, according to the FBI data released just last week, and thanks to a platoon of modern technology, car thieves haul off fewer vehicles today than at any point over the past two decades. But there's still more than 730,000 vehicles swiped every year -- and a new report released today pinpoints the 20 cities where thefts are most likely. If you live in California, you might want to invest in some vehicle security.

The National Insurance Crime Bureau calculates the rate of vehicle thefts for 366 cities based on registration data and insurance reports. That rate means even small cities can rank high for auto thefts if they suffer a breakout or two of wheeljacking in any given year. While 50,671 vehicles were reported stolen in the Los Angeles area last year, it only ranked 23rd-worst for overall theft rate, while the New York-New Jersey metro area and its 29,135 vehicle thefts ranked 193rd, between Canton, Ohio, and Ocala, Fla.

And while this year's top four cities are the same as last year's, some police departments have shown how to fight back successfully. Laredo, Texas had the nation's worst auto theft rate in 2009, but ranked 53rd this year, cutting thefts by more than half to 849 in 2011. The secret: More police officers, more public announcements about the problem and the purchase of two mobile monitoring towers that allow police to scan parking lots for suspicious behavior.

2011 Top 20 cities for auto theft

1.Fresno, Calif.1 (2010 rank)
2.Modesto, Calif.2
3.Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.3
4.Spokane, Wash.4
5.Yakima, Wash.10
6.San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont, Calif.   9
7.Stockton, Calif.7
8.Anderson, S.C.33
9.Vallejo-Fairfield, Calif.5
10.Visalia-Porterville, Calif.8
11.Detroit, Mich.12
12.Seattle/Tacoma, Wash.13
13.Sacramento, Calif.6
14.Riverside-San Bernardino, Calif.21
15.Albuquerque, N.M.20
16.San Diego, Calif.15
17.Oklahoma City, Okla.25
18.El Centro, Calif.27
19.Las Vegas, Nev.17
20.San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.18

Of the 20 worst cities, California accounts for 12, mostly in central California, which has struggled to fund police departments and has cities choked with vehicles. Fresno police say they're already making progress on cutting auto thefts this year, telling The Fresno Bee that through March, thefts had been cut by a third. Washington State accounts for two cities among the top 10 with the highest theft rate, with Spokane fourth and Yakima jumping to fifth from 10th. The only East Coast city in the top 25: Anderson, S.C., a town of 25,000 which saw auto thefts jump 30 percent to 911 vehicles in 2011.

The least likely place for a car thief to strike? State College, Penn., with Elmira, N.Y., and Harrisonburg, Va., close behind. Rural cities tend to dominate the bottom of the list, simply due to less opportunity for a thief to strike. The full list can be found on the NICB website.

To prevent thefts, the NICB recommends every car get not just an alarm, but a tracking device -- such as General Motors' OnStar or the LoJack add-on systems -- and an ignition override, like smart keys or hidden shut-off switches. Other tips: Have some form of visible security, such as a steering-wheel lock or alarm window decal. And don't leave the car unlocked, a tip that should be common sense by now -- but given how sophisticated some thieves have become, every extra step could be the one that protects you.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

cen-cal crawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Sadly we just dropped to #2 as of yesterday. Chif jerry dyer has been cracking down on chop shops and theft rings here in fresno county. the stolen cars are usually stolen and "cut up" as soon as they are stolen.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Sadly we just dropped to #2
Great news, still better than being #1! Progress in the right direction :beerchug:

helipilot77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I am now APRS capable!  :woohoo: I will be hiding this baby in the dash and sleeping much better knowing that I can check the location of my truck whenever I want. Took me all of two minutes to be sending a signal that showed up on googles APRS map. 

-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ok that is cool! Details, links, product info, thanks :beerchug:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
APRS Automatic Packet Reporting System. Must have a HAM license to broadcast the GPS signal along with your identifier (call sign). All of us who wheel in the back country should have that anyways. If you don't have a HAM license they are easy to get. Classes are often offered by amature radio clubs for free. Here is the link to the micro tracker that I bought.
http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg
Once you have the equipment there are no service charges and signal reception is likely better than cell phone coverage. We are going to start using this in search and rescue so we can see where all our units are. 
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2015, 09:06:12 PM by helipilot77 »
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Reviving this thread...

For APRS to work, do you have to have a dedicated HAM setup in your rig? I don't mind paying $30 for a Baofeng, but wondering how you keep it charged while it's in your rig? All I can find are the base chargers, nothing like a cord charger or anything..
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Reviving this thread...

For APRS to work, do you have to have a dedicated HAM setup in your rig? I don't mind paying $30 for a Baofeng, but wondering how you keep it charged while it's in your rig? All I can find are the base chargers, nothing like a cord charger or anything..

Nope you don't need any other equipment. If you get the one in the link you will have everything you need. It comes with a cigarette adapter but I hard wired mine and hid it. All that can be seen is the GPS antenna and the radio antenna.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Right on! Kind of spendy but would you say it's worth it? Any downsides?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Right on! Kind of spendy but would you say it's worth it? Any downsides?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I think it is one of the best solutions to recovering a stolen vehicle, which to me makes it worth it. Of course a hidden kill switch should be the first line of defense though. The only downside is that it doesn't drop breadcrumbs quite as often as I would like it too for other uses but it is often enough for theft recovery.

BoG-ToY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I wonder if you can change that setting, the problem would be when more and more people use them and it actually clouds the area, also I am unfamiliar with packet radio as I joined just to have access to the repeaters. I do wonder if I could have a receiver in my remote location that might help tracking. I am just a couple dozen yards from a major highway that connects a big city as well as I-5 to the coast/101
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.