Author Topic: Hello from San Luis Obispo  (Read 4627 times)

worthingtontw

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello from San Luis Obispo
« on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »
What's up Marlin Crawler! I'm from San Luis Obispo, CA and I recently purchased a 1980 Toyota Hilux which I have some big plans for. I'm planning on using it for the base of an expedition truck. Plans included a frame stretch, conversion to long travel IFS as we will mostly be seeing washboard roads with some mixed terrain not really rock crawling, a quad cab conversion, and a MB OM617a swap. There's alot more other small support systems and such and it all sounds like a tall order, but I come from a family of racers where custom fabrication is the name of the game so I feel I am up to the task.

Which brings me to why I am here. I still have a lot to learn about off road component and systems design philosophy. I feel that while it's always good to look at a wide variety of place for ideas and inspiration, but being on a forum that focuses on your brand and activity is equally important for the best quality of info for your application.

So a bit about the goal. My girlfriend's family every year has a family reunion in Death Valley. Again I come from a racing back ground and was in the process of setting up a Subaru for rally cross car which we brought with us. There was three of us in my Subaru and we were packed to the gills with camping gear, tools, 2 full size spares, etc, not a very comfortable or efficient way to travel. When we got to the camp ground which required about 2 hours of travel down wash boarded dirt roads her whole family had vehicles that were way more up to the task. Vehicles ranging from a highly modified 4runner to a Unimog 1300L with Alaskan camper on back. Spending a week out there with them I was hooked on the idea for traveling long distances off the beaten path. Instead of wasting a huge amount of money on racing which while fun was not really taking me anywhere, I'd get out and see everything that most people only look at in photos. So that basically lays out the ground work for the goal. Build a vehicle using a solid base platform that can carry 4 people long distances in relative comfort with the support systems to make the prospect of breaking down and setting up camp every day appealing.
1980 Toyota Hilux Expedition project (_______) 0% done, just starting out

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from San Luis Obispo
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
welcome from paso robles i would say stick with the solid axle and link the front
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
Welcome from A Town. Having the vision of what you want to have is more than half the battle. Go for it!!!(Bob)

firealj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 113
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
welcome from a-town as well.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
Welcome from Slo, well most of the time I'm in Slo lol. Seems like a pretty ambitious plan, if you stick to it should turn out pretty sweet. Are you starting with a 2wd or 4wd?

cencalwheeler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
Welcome from Fresno.
87 money pit....

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2012, 06:19:47 AM »
:welcome:  II  :turtle:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Toy-Cra-Ze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
Welcome 2 Marlin.

worthingtontw [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

welcome from paso robles i would say stick with the solid axle and link the front

With the intended purpose of this truck, I'm hoping anyways that I really won't be in any situations where I can break anything. If I am, considering it will be intended as an expedition vehicle that means I'm in a lot of trouble. Worst case scenario I can't see us going through anything more difficult than some of the passes in death valley which when out with my girlfriend we have seen seemingly stock park service expeditions go through. With that in mind, my main goal with the suspension is to be able to go down wash-boarded roads with a certain level of comfort, which is why I want to go IFS.

Having said all that though, is there something I don't know regarding solid axle setups to make them ride more comfortably? Passenger comfort is one of my goals but not before durability when there's high risk of breaking components.

Welcome from Slo, well most of the time I'm in Slo lol. Seems like a pretty ambitious plan, if you stick to it should turn out pretty sweet. Are you starting with a 2wd or 4wd?

I'm planing on staying 4wd. Basically I'm trying to avoid the need for recovery gear but my girl friend and I are talking about doing trips to Canada in the dead of winter and there's always a good chance of exploring local trails and such, so 4wd as far as I'm concerned is a must. I just don't intend on putting the vehicle through anything where we either can't carry the tools and parts to fix a problem or requires a tow home if we break something.

As far as staying 4wd I'm currently looking at using a similar design to what Total Chaos is building for the gen 2 caddy kit, but with a couple differences. Right now I'm looking for a complete knuckles with hub's, rotors, and calipers, and a 1st gen IFS 4runner diff and until I get those parts I'm kinda stuck on development. Also not really sure if I want to go with a drag link steering setup or rack and pinion. Opinions?

I should also add I plan on this being a very slow build. Right now I've got to many projects I need to wind down first but I'll start a build log probably sometime next week introducing the vehicle as well as what has been done so far.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »
I see. Asked if you were starting with a 2wd because it seems like it would be easier to start with then a 4wd frame. But I guess if you're doing that much work it really doesn't matter.

What kind of other projects are you working on?

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

worthingtontw [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »
I see. Asked if you were starting with a 2wd because it seems like it would be easier to start with then a 4wd frame. But I guess if you're doing that much work it really doesn't matter.

What kind of other projects are you working on?

Yeah... It's alot of custom fab work but your right, realistically I could have started with either. Really the big thing as far as I'm concerned is as long as the major components are easy to find replacements for in a pinch and I have a high level of redundancy I should be fine.

Well the three big ones right now are helping my dad finish up a 1974 Lotus Elite he's prepping for autocross. Tracking down a post auto to manual trans swap electrical gremlin that's causing CEL's so I can't pass smog in my Impreza which is my DD. And god knows why but I decided to build a new platform bed and dresser for my girlfriend and I's new place. Plus the usual little things that come up. I've got some stuff done on the truck like shocks, rebuilt the hubs and wheel bearings on the front just to get it mobile while we were moving. But It probably wont be till mid August that I can get the ball rolling on the truck really.

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
Welcome, I think all of us SLO locals should meet at the beach one of these days to meet one another?

worthingtontw [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2012, 01:12:41 PM »
Welcome, I think all of us SLO locals should meet at the beach one of these days to meet one another?

Agreed, it would be cool to meet all of the local members and check out their rigs. Even just an in town meet and greet would be cool but playing on the beach sounds fun to me!

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »
I'd be be down for a meet when I get back to town. Need to finish up my rig though, I swear it never ends haha.

firealj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 113
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
im up for it.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »
sounds good to me
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

worthingtontw [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
Well, I'm trading my front axle for a complete IFS setup later today so I guess starting a build log will be in order! Very excited to get started on this project. The girly wishes I would finish building the new dresser instead of dropping the axle though...

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »
 :welcome: from Davis. Just spent some time in SLO in June, beautiful area.

Are you running the 4x4 Labs adapters for your OM617 swap? Plan to do that swap eventually myself.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

worthingtontw [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
:welcome: from Davis. Just spent some time in SLO in June, beautiful area.

Are you running the 4x4 Labs adapters for your OM617 swap? Plan to do that swap eventually myself.

I haven't done the swap yet as I want to get the front suspension sorted first but I think will use the 4x4 labs adapter as they pretty much seem to be the only ones that make one for Toyotas sadly. I've found adapters as low as $300 for jeeps so I find it a bit disheartening that the 4x4 labs is $625 but that's one thing I am not equipped to make so I guess that is what I will run. Having said that the quality of the kit looks top notch so with that in mind I guess the price is less daunting.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
I haven't done the swap yet as I want to get the front suspension sorted first but I think will use the 4x4 labs adapter as they pretty much seem to be the only ones that make one for Toyotas sadly. I've found adapters as low as $300 for jeeps so I find it a bit disheartening that the 4x4 labs is $625 but that's one thing I am not equipped to make so I guess that is what I will run. Having said that the quality of the kit looks top notch so with that in mind I guess the price is less daunting.

Yeah, you pay a little more with the Labs but I can assure you first hand, the craftsmanship is top of the line. I am friends with Luke the owner and he is a stand up guy. When I built my 4runner he lent me his shop welder - no questions asked - for a weekend when my buddys took a crap on us.

He is also a personal friend of Marlin, and likewise, has many of the same traits. He sees you broken down he won't hesitate to help. There are only a few outlets I spend my money at when it comes to my Toyotas. Marlin and 4x4 Labs are two that will always have my business. You won't be dissapointed going with the Labs adapter.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

worthingtontw [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Yeah, you pay a little more with the Labs but I can assure you first hand, the craftsmanship is top of the line. I am friends with Luke the owner and he is a stand up guy. When I built my 4runner he lent me his shop welder - no questions asked - for a weekend when my buddys took a crap on us.

He is also a personal friend of Marlin, and likewise, has many of the same traits. He sees you broken down he won't hesitate to help. There are only a few outlets I spend my money at when it comes to my Toyotas. Marlin and 4x4 Labs are two that will always have my business. You won't be dissapointed going with the Labs adapter.

Well I guess that's the route I'll be going then. For now though I just go my hands on the front suspension parts I was after less the T100 axles and the IFS steering box so I should start designing the suspension next week.

OK stupid question time. If I were to start a build thread on here, where should I put it? I'm guessing in vehicle specific but I didn't really see any build threads there. I'll primarily doing the thread over on Expedition Portal but I figured I'd mirror it here because there is a lot of talent and as I said before, having people from different backgrounds critiquing my work and offering ideas is a very good thing. Never know what great idea someone has! Also I feel it will probably be fairly relevant to those of us who are not going hard core in one direction.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »

worthingtontw [OP]