Author Topic: Identify this bayonet  (Read 2877 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Identify this bayonet
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
Just found this in buried in my grandfather's toolbox. 

It is a bayonet, no sheath. 

I have no idea what it would go to, he served in Korea in the AF, and worked as a civilian contractor (mechanic) at the AF Academy until his retirement in 1984.  I doubt he would have bought it after that, unless it was a great deal at a garage sale. 

Its about an 8" blade, handle is wrapped in leather.  The guard has USM and UTICA stamped into it, on the opposite side of the barrel hole.  You can see the mechanism for locking on to the bayonet lug in one of the photos.

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Identify this bayonet
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
M1 carbine.

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
Yeller, knows, he carried one in WW2
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
Man, I completely spaced looking up the M1 carbine. I was poking around last night online looking, but that one never crossed my mind.

Oh well, time to go tell the g/f to keep her eye out for an M1 carbine to match my bayonet :gap:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
Yeller, knows, he carried one in WW2

:clap: . . . . :slap:  . . . . :yupyup:
except BACON

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
Does it say "Camillus" anywhere on it?  One of my favorite manufactures. If not anybody know who else use to have the contract besides Camillus?

A good find on the M4.
I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »
Not that I've seen, Im going to clean it up a bit, and give it a sharpening.  I'll let you know if I find anything else on it.

-Ronald Reagan

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
Not that I've seen, Im going to clean it up a bit, and give it a sharpening.  I'll let you know if I find anything else on it.

no restoration . . .  it devalues the bayonet, just saying :gap: or screw it and do it up all pimp and :pokinit:
except BACON

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
no restoration . . .  it devalues the bayonet, just saying :gap: or screw it and do it up all pimp and :pokinit:

It'll get a light cleaning, mostly to get the caked on automotive grease off of it.  Not going to do anything other than that.  The sharpening is a must, I don't believe in owning blades and guns that aren't functional.  :gap:

-Ronald Reagan

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
It'll get a light cleaning, mostly to get the caked on automotive grease off of it.  Not going to do anything other than that.  The sharpening is a must, I don't believe in owning blades and guns that aren't functional.  :gap:

Perfect.  :)
I like to Drive!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
Not all blades were meant to be sharp and if you do sharpen it, it will de value it
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2012, 08:29:52 PM by junya92toy »
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
Not all blades were meant to be sharp and if you do sharpen it, it will de value it

Pretty sure bayonet blades are meant to be sharp.  And I would rather use one of my grandfather's tools as he did, instead of putting it aside, and treating it as a museum piece. 

Not everything is meant to sit around and look pretty.  Why retire something before it has outlived its usefulness.  Why not pass on a piece of living history, rather than one that has been preserved as a part of history that is dead and gone?

Which would you rather see?  An old car or truck sitting in a museum, preserved for future generations, or one that is run and driven on a regular basis, and lovingly and painstakingly maintained for those same future generations. 

Financial value means nothing when you never have any intention of selling or trading it in.

-Ronald Reagan

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »

Financial value means nothing when you never have any intention of selling or trading it in.

dude I agree I have a collection of WW2 rifles and handguns (6) that I have recently inherited from Julies Uncle that will never leave my hand until my kids take them from me  :yupyup: cause they love them just as much as I do
except BACON

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
Pretty sure bayonet blades are meant to be sharp.  And I would rather use one of my grandfather's tools as he did, instead of putting it aside, and treating it as a museum piece. 

Not everything is meant to sit around and look pretty.  Why retire something before it has outlived its usefulness.  Why not pass on a piece of living history, rather than one that has been preserved as a part of history that is dead and gone?

Which would you rather see?  An old car or truck sitting in a museum, preserved for future generations, or one that is run and driven on a regular basis, and lovingly and painstakingly maintained for those same future generations. 

In the context of what was said before about no major cleaning, it will de value it, I was pointing out that sharpening it will de value it too.
And just because something will " never " be sold, doesnt mean you should take something worth a lot of money and turn it into junk

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
In the context of what was said before about no major cleaning, it will de value it, I was pointing out that sharpening it will de value it too.
And just because something will " never " be sold, doesnt mean you should take something worth a lot of money and turn it into junk

I wasn't aware that sharpening a bayonet would turn it into junk.  It seems that sharpening it would make it more effective, therefore increasing its value as a tool to me.  Seeing as I have no interest in ever selling it, it is of far more value as a blade then it is sitting on a shelf looking pretty (or not so pretty in this case).

-Ronald Reagan

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »
Again, context of its value in a market,

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
which in this case I care nothing about

-Ronald Reagan

*** YELLER ***

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2012, 11:33:30 PM »
I say do whatever the hell you want to do to it, its yours, if no one likes what you did to it then they dont get to play with it . . .
except BACON

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2012, 12:43:11 AM »
I say do whatever the hell you want to do to it, its yours, if no one likes what you did to it then they dont get to play with it . . .

:yesnod:

-Ronald Reagan

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2012, 12:49:01 AM »
A properly sharpened knife/bayonet will not lose value, just don't use the knife sharpener on the back of your can opener. I have an original WWII bayonet that was given to me by my wife's dad, this is not a surplus item it actually spent time in Germany gutting its way to Berlin. When he died I had it mounted along with his flag and medals.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you