Author Topic: Medical Marijuana  (Read 11032 times)

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Medical Marijuana
« on: Apr 23, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
And discuss

the reason I post this is to find out what I have no idea about, Im in constant pain with my knees everyday, I have been told that this could help me, well Ive never done it and dont know what to expect so I refer to the experts on Marlin to advise me on what they think of this treatment option.

NO HATERS

just a good discussion on the good or bad of this possible treatment

lets keep it friendly and helpful Im in need of pain relief and Im tired of the pills the VA keeps giving me . . . .  and GO.....
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »
No offense, I really don't know. What do you weigh?

I smoked an awful lot in the olden days...in my experience, (while I am pro legalization and anti medijuana) you have to watch out for...a certain lack of ambition. Once I got going I was cool...it was the getting going that was the problem.

I would rather see a naturopathist for nutritional direction or get surgery, than smoke weed on such a regular basis.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

*** YELLER *** [OP]

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
No offense, I really don't know. What do you weigh?

I smoked an awful lot in the olden days...in my experience, (while I am pro legalization and anti medijuana) you have to watch out for...a certain lack of ambition. Once I got going I was cool...it was the getting going that was the problem.

I would rather see a naturopathist for nutritional direction or get surgery, than smoke weed on such a regular basis.

none taken  :gap: 350lbs, the pain keeps me from doing allot of things, I cant walk 2 blocks with out extreme pain in my knees and the swelling is awful, my knees look like grapefruit when im done doing anything physical, Im tired of all the pain and inflammation pills the VA gives me for this. I was hoping that it would take away the pain so I could do more if that makes sence.

except BACON

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »
Sorry to hear your hurting so bad buddy. That sucks.

About pot. I think it is an awesome drug for pain, but more in the aspect of it passes time very quickly so you don't really realize your in pain. If that makes sense. I smoked it for about a month after I had my knee rebuilt and it was waaaay better than the pain pills. But for that month I was also couch bound.

I don't know if it would really help your situation, because the anti-inflammation pills are trying to correct your swelling. But pot would just cover or mask the pain, possibly causing more in the long run. It would be better than vicodin or any of those for laying around in the evening.

Hope that helps some.
You'll never take me alive

*** YELLER *** [OP]

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Sorry to hear your hurting so bad buddy. That sucks.

About pot. I think it is an awesome drug for pain, but more in the aspect of it passes time very quickly so you don't really realize your in pain. If that makes sense. I smoked it for about a month after I had my knee rebuilt and it was waaaay better than the pain pills. But for that month I was also couch bound.

I don't know if it would really help your situation, because the anti-inflammation pills are trying to correct your swelling. But pot would just cover or mask the pain, possibly causing more in the long run. It would be better than vicodin or any of those for laying around in the evening.

Hope that helps some.

it does help thanks Austin
except BACON

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »
Well I havent tried it myself. Ive looked into it as well for crohns.
One thing that appeals to me is its natural.
Hard core drugs will most likely cause organ damage over time, pot not so much.
I feel that because it is natural it would be the first step to try, why go big, and risk problems later.
Not to be  a jerk, but what about losing some weight, that might take some stress off the knees?
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

*** YELLER *** [OP]

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Well I havent tried it myself. Ive looked into it as well for crohns.
One thing that appeals to me is its natural.
Hard core drugs will most likely cause organ damage over time, pot not so much.
I feel that because it is natural it would be the first step to try, why go big, and risk problems later.
Not to be  a jerk, but what about losing some weight, that might take some stress off the knees?

weight would be a good start you are correct, im trying to lose weight now its just tough to do when i cant move around much
except BACON

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
My old man uses it for his broken back. He quit taking painkillers almost all together. We are both huge advocates on Medical use of Marijuana.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »
what I think is really stupid, society says o ya its ok to take very dangerous medications, but its not ok to use pot.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2012, 07:56:46 PM »
I'll try and give you some direct answers to the best of my ability. MMJ has a lot of legitimate medical uses, including pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties. Unfortunately, the Feds have been running rampant in CA under the Obama Administration and almost all of our MMJ dispensaries have closed down because of threats from the Feds. There are still plenty of doctors that write prescriptions under Prop 215, but access to legitimate MMJ diespensaries is limited now.

For starters, there are 3 main types of cannabis within the genus Cannabis. There is Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, and Cannabis ruderalis. C. Ruderalis is small and not commercially or really even privately grown, so if you come across it in your research just remember its not grown for MMJ or other uses. This leaves C. sativa and C. indica.

There is an incredible amount of genetic diversity now. Basically, crossing different sativas and indicas has yielded what are usually called different strains. Much like members of the species Brassica oleracea (wild cabbage) which have been selectively bred for different traits resulting in the foods we know as kohlrabi, broccoli, kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower; Cannabis is the same way. Sativas are more of an upbeat, energetic head high that stimulate appetite, where as Indicas are a more "couch lock" and typically more pain relieving and anti-inflammatory. By crossing different strains, you can select which traits you want and don't want. Most strains available today aren't pure sativa or pure indica but the desired traits of both can still be obtained through breeding. There are other compounds in cannabis besides THC which have other medical effects, like beta-carophyllene which is a natural anti-infammatory substance found in cannabis and other plants as well. Many breeders have been experimenting in trying to improve concentrations of these compounds and reduce THC levels to provide strains that when ingested lend their anti-inflammatory or other attributes without heavily intoxicating the user.

Most MMJ doctors are very familiar with strains that are better suited for certain medical uses, so if you go see one, make sure to emphasize pain relief and anti-inflammation as your primary concerns. Compassionate Health Options employs many very knowledable doctors across the state of CA.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/compassionate-health-options-san-francisco

Also, there are many ways to ingest MMJ. You don't have to smoke it. There are vaporizers, tintures, oils, lotions, edibles, etc etc. Again this would be another thing to discuss with a doctor when you meet with them.

Here are a few good links that talk about different strains and their uses, as well as other properties of cannabis that have medical uses. UC Davis actually has it's own Medical Marijuana Quality Control test lab in West Sac, where they analyze samples and provide a stamp of scientific quality approval for medical use. Unfortunately, until the Feds change the Schedule 1 status of Cannabis under the Controlled Substances Act, further advances in medicinal cannabis will be slowed down and prevented.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/business/medical-marijuana-testing-lab-opens-in-w-sac/

http://www.patientsmarijuana.org/Sativa_or_Indica.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080720222549.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080624-marijuana.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/24/health/policy/24veterans.html?pagewanted=all

Good luck and I hope you find something that will help. At the very least, maybe you can use MMJ to cut out the pain pills, if not the anti-inflamatory pills. I am a big Cannabis/MMJ/Hemp advocate and have several friends that have undergone chemo or have conditions such as Muscular dystrophy who most likely would no longer be with us if it wasn't for Cannabis.  :smokin:
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2012, 09:01:36 PM by 46&2 »
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »
Give it a shot. Worst that's gonna happen is you go to sleep. Beat that's gonna happen is you will be off pillS with good quality of life
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »

none taken  :gap: 350lbs, the pain keeps me from doing allot of things, I cant walk 2 blocks with out extreme pain in my knees and the swelling is awful, my knees look like grapefruit when im done doing anything physical, Im tired of all the pain and inflammation pills the VA gives me for this. I was hoping that it would take away the pain so I could do more if that makes sence.

So, you're totin around a lot more than you knees were meant to deal with.  I've had both my knees cleaned out...but, the best thing I've done for them was to lose some tonnage...and get really good shoes.

A couple of years ago...I had some pretty severe surgery (gangrene in my gut)...oddly enough, I became aware of the...short comings in the average American diet and medicine. Find a hairy legged woman, follow her to the health food store...pick up some turmeric capsules. They are as good as most NSAIDs with out the damage.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2012, 09:15:31 PM »
I just finished watching a program on this drug and they say is does work since it disconnects the receptors from the nerves temporarily. Works for around 4 hrs. smoked and 6 if you remove the active ingredients cooking it in butter and then using the butter to make like cookies, brownies, cake, etc. You can get a card through your Dr. from the state for $66.00.

Not a current user but can honestly say that it definitely has a numbing effect, ah my youth, as much as I can remember of it that is.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2012, 09:31:23 PM »

Not a current user but can honestly say that it definitely has a numbing effect, ah my youth, as much as I can remember of it that is.

Throw on Fillmore East and gel out.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2012, 09:57:50 PM »
Throw on Pink Floyd and gel out.

fixed it for ya
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:08:50 PM »
fixed it for ya

fixed it for ya

Throw on Yes and Gel out

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »
Yes! (I don't know where it is anymore....but, I wanted the puke smiley here) Hell, while you're at it...might as well break out the Air Supply.

I'll stick with the ABB, BOC, Molly Hatchet, etc.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
Don't knock what you don't understand or are jealous of, best heard live then you would understand. 3 chords just don't cut it for me.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
Now look what you've done Yeller, bringin' on the flashbacks. :rofl: :thud: :smoke:

:reg: :puke: :puke3: :puke4:

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
:smoke:

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:05:36 AM »
Back on topic... you've already mentioned the weight, the pain, the VA pills. Do you know what's actually wrong with the knees? What kind of pills did they give you?

As to MMJ, it's my semi-uneducated opinion (no direct knowledge) that it probably does help with some chronic pain. It wouldn't necessarily be my first choice but certainly worth a try when other meds haven't worked. At one point when I got hammered by rheumatoid arthritis, I thought I might have to consider some form of MMJ, but other meds got it under control. As for being OK because it's natural, well, poison oak & rattlesnakes are natural too.

Depending on where you live, it can be a legal gray area -- even if it's state-or-local legal, the feds see it differently. Doesn't help that so many recreational users & profiteers hide behind a 215 card, it only makes it worse for people who can really benefit from it medically.

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
My step sister has lost over 150 in less than a year on Medifast.  http://www.medifast1.com/index.jsp  My step mom has lost over 100 pounds.  Both of them had ass's like Mack trucks, and now, they both look great and feel great.  Both has had knee issues due to weight, and now they are feeling so good that they walk a mile each night. 

As for MMJ, most the people that have cards, have them because now they can legally can smoke it.  So, I have a bad taste in my opinion about it. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
poison oak and rattle snakes might be natural too but lets not be stupid.
We dont directly use them for medical purposes.
Certain medications can and do cause serious side effects, even death.
MMJ does not.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
Marijuana can be used with Zero negative aide effects. I don't know of any prescription painkiller that can say that. Much much safer than the alternatives in my opinion. The legality is moot, of it helps you screw the feds

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
poison oak and rattle snakes might be natural too but lets not be stupid.
We dont directly use them for medical purposes.
Certain medications can and do cause serious side effects, even death.
MMJ does not.
Stupid?  My point was simple enough -- I have heard that things are good for you simply because they are natural. Had one guy tell me cocaine couldn't hurt you because it comes from natural sources. Believe what you want but let's not be stupid.

Obviously many meds can have side bad side effects, nobody disputes that. I would never say that pot has no bad side effects. Have you never seen someone too stoned to drive safely? I didn't say don't use it for medical reasons, in fact I said just the opposite. But be realistic about it, it's not a totally benign panacea.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
No it was a stupid  comparison.
I never said it was good for you, I was stating the side effects are what makes the difference.

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
you know my stand on this
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »
there are so many different strains of marijuana now they have specific kinds just for pain. I say try it. if you dont like it then stop.

On a side note check out the movie "Fat sick and nearly dead" you can find it on netflix. my brother watched it and tried the "diet" he was around 350lbs and is now 270 and still loosing weight only after 60 days.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

*** YELLER *** [OP]

• Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
you know my stand on this

:yupyup: I sure do

now let me say this .. . this is not a new problem, I have had this issue since 1986 so its not a new issue, I agree the weight loss would be a great idea and would probably help the issue, but at the same time its hard to do allot of excersize programs, a simple walk down the street will have me on the couch for the rest of the day due to swelling and pain that never really leaves the knees, i use 1000 mil of Ibuprofen and 800 mil of generic Vicodin every day sometimes twice a day depending on pain level and activity. But I thank all of you for your input and advice, I will look into it and decide for myself if its something I can do to help.
except BACON

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

As for MMJ, most the people that have cards, have them because now they can legally can smoke it.  So, I have a bad taste in my opinion about it. 

It shouldn't have been illegal in the first place. The plant was outlawed to protect William Randolph Hearst's investments in timber/paper, petrochemical, and the cotton industry. He used his newspapers to spread racist propaganda and pushed to make it illegal. Hemp has the potential to destroy all three of those industries if it was legal to grow. If you compare Cannabis to alcohol or any pharmaceutical you see there is no comparison. Its the safest, healthiest drug in existance, and the plant itself has so many legitimate uses its retarded. Corporate interest and government profits from keeping it illegal are what continue to make the plant illegal on the Federal level. Prop 215 was the biggest victory for Cannabis in a long time. I don't want recreational card holders to take away from people who need it for legitimate medical reasons, but as far as I am concerned, the more people with MMJ cards, the more middle fingers to big government and a failed war on drugs.

85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting