Author Topic: Help, I'm stumped!!  (Read 2141 times)

glocksucker

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
Help, I'm stumped!!
« on: Apr 13, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
Hey everyone, I've done searches online but really haven't found what I'm looking for so I turn here.

'83 Hilux 20r/22r, Weber, New starter, new batt, new alternator

Symptoms: 90% of the time the engine starts fine without a hitch, occasionally while attempting to start all I get is a click, as if there is not enough juice to the starter to turn her over. Starter does not engage turn over, just click. I've noticed that it tends to happen after jumping back in after a quick errand stop but it does also happen on cold starts. I can usually get her to turn over after about 5 minutes of intermittent attempts.

So, anyone got any ideas. I'm not real well versed on the electrical systems, such as are there relays to check?

any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

GS

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I'm stumped!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »
there isnt an external solenoid like on fords..

i think though, you might have an ignition switch issue......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »
Sounds like a bad spot on the starter. Hot starters are harder to get to work too. Mine did that sometimes and a few month later it could hardly turn over the engine. Put in a rebuilt from NAPA, more than enough power now. Make sure your connections are clean.

Id say pull the starter and take it to a auto store and have them test it. They're pretty cheap to replace too.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
i would rebuild your starter if it is oem..... rebuilding the oem starters is actually a lot better than the remanufactured ones you get from the auto parts store

www.4crawler.com has the contacts

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

glocksucker [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and input so far. Originally I thought it was a bad starter too which is why I just replaced it with rebuilt from a local reputable "starter/alternator" place.

After installing the rebuilt starter it seemed to have fixed the problem but since it is intermittent I was unable to actually determine if it fixed it or not. In any case it did not as the symptoms seem to keep coming back.

and since I have your attention, anyone know of the proper lube and points to lube the steering column to stop that squeak we all get when we turn the wheel. I'm tired of just blasting hoping the lube will find it's way.

GS

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
blasting?

no proper lube is blasted out of a can......

look into the slip joints on the shaft, also look at the ragjoint near the box -- the ragjoints are worn out lots of times

double check that your wiring is good... i would check all your ground connections, bad grounds are the most common electrical issues

i actually run grounds from the battery to the motor, the frame, and the body, just to make sure i don't get a ground break somewhere

~ John F. Kennedy ~

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
sounds like it could be a wiring issue.  I had a similar problem on my 80.  The wire going from the key to the starter had just warn out over the years.  When I pulled it, there was signs of it getting hot probably from extended periods of cranking the engine over.  Put in a new wire and never had the problem again. 

glocksucker [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
Okay, thanks guys, I like the suggestions and I'll give 'em a try. It may take a while but when I do find the problem I'll be sure and post it up

GS

glocksucker [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »
As far as the squeak. It was the backing plate behind the steering wheel which comes in contact with springloaded post for the horn. Seems it has a plastic head which rubs against the plate.

Took off column housing shell and dabbed white lithium grease with a cotton swab and done. No more squeak. Until next winter that is.

GS

Now onto that pesky failure to start problem....

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
replace the starter contacts
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

El Jefe

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »
Check the cable from the battery to the starter for corrosion or loose connections.