Author Topic: Marlins springs  (Read 1924 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Marlins springs
« on: Feb 17, 2005, 05:18:24 PM »
Well I Orderes a skyjacker 3" lift from some really unorganized online store (4wheelparts.com) And after three weeks and a lost order Im going to cancel and go with the marlin 3" springs. Any of you guys running these yet? I know the rear springs are still new. Im confident they will do just fine considering the reputation of the other products, just looking for real world feedback.

Luke
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Marlins springs
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »
I had 4wheelparts (Tacoma, WA) install my 4.5 inch Superlift a couple of years ago.  The only problem that I had was they destroyed my rear shackles when they took them off and I ended up with extended shackles that made the truck way to high and caused vibration.  I had to find some stock shackles and install them myself.  I currently have Alcan rear springs on order, the Superlift rear springs are terribly rigid.

The Marlin springs are longer than stock and will require you to move the foward mount and the shackle mount, the Superlift springs wouldn't require this.  I opted for an Alcan spring that uses the stock locations to avoid the added install problems.  The cost is similar when you consider purchasing mounts and fabrication work.  I'm sure the Marlin springs are great quality if you are willing to do the work.

Something to consider.

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2005, 01:01:30 PM »
i didnt recall moving my shackle location with my mar springs. they are uber soft. also there isnt a bunch of work to make them work. u could easily do it in a day. better flex to, stock length sucks
Im an OG

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2005, 03:49:16 PM »
does mar make 4 inch springs, stock length, but move the front axle 2 inch forwerd?
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »
nope
Im an OG

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2005, 06:30:36 PM »
well wut do they make that comes close to wut i want?
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2005, 10:21:19 PM »
why do u want stock length...thats just silly :crazy:
Im an OG

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2005, 07:05:47 AM »
Everyone has different goals for their trucks.  For me it is important that I can drive my truck cross country and since I have a limited budget and lack in fabrication skill, it is best to keep things as simple as possible.  I don't plan to relocate the shock mounts, other than the lower mount for the u-bolt flip kit, so the amount of travel will be limited making long springs less important.  Right now my truck has about 2 inches of travel in the rear from full compression to full extension (Superlift rears are horrible) and it has not stopped me from going anywhere I wanted to go yet.  I think that Alcan can build me a spring pack that will give me adequate flex for my level of wheeling and they will handle better on the road.  Alcan makes a 5 inch longer spring application, but advised that I get the shorter configuration for my purposes.  Most people think that Alcan is the king of springs so I am going with his recommendation.  Yes, in general longer springs have better flex, but they are not the best option for everyone.  I will post before and after pictures once I get them installed.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved