Author Topic: 22re new clutch slipping  (Read 8571 times)

tyes

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
22re new clutch slipping
« on: Dec 26, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
installed a new clutch and now its slipping only after 4x4 double low on the dual transfer case. it has new flywheel, pressure plate and throwout bearings. this kit comes with everything already resurface. when i do drive around town it will not slip one bit and drives as it would. after 4x4 it begins to slip on and pulls really slowly... here are some specs that is related to drive train: 86 runner SAS, dual case 2.28x4.70 (MC), 55k mi 2wd motor, 5.29 f/r, ARB f/r, 38.5 SS sx. please help! thanks.
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe

tyes [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
Re: 22re new clutch slipping
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
tttt
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »
what clutch you runnin?
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

tineye

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
I'd say if it's a stock clutch kit, that maybe the problem... time to upgrade.

Did you clean the new flywheel with cleaner/degreaser to make sure a coating wasn't on the flywheel to keep it from rusting?
: Great minds discuss ideas : Average minds discuss events : Small minds discuss people :

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Is the clutch pedal adjusted right? 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
installed a new clutch and now its slipping only after 4x4 double low on the dual transfer case. it has new flywheel, pressure plate and throwout bearings. this kit comes with everything already resurface. when i do drive around town it will not slip one bit and drives as it would. after 4x4 it begins to slip on and pulls really slowly... here are some specs that is related to drive train: 86 runner SAS, dual case 2.28x4.70 (MC), 55k mi 2wd motor, 5.29 f/r, ARB f/r, 38.5 SS sx. please help! thanks.
sounds to me like the clutch is fine and you just arent used to those extremely low gears.  if its the clutch it would slip the worst in 3rd or 4th gear.  NOT in double low
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
i have to disagree 79coyotefrg, my 87 stock 22re stock trans would slip in low when climbing steep hills, in first gear, so i talked to a few Toyota guys that told me that Toyota designed the weak link or "fuse" if you will into the clutch, so i upgraded to a centerforce 1 and solved the problem. the guys i talked with might have been talking out their butts, but the centerforce does not slip.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
I agree with Glen...There's more load on the clutch in High range with the trans in 3rd or 4th than in any of the Low ranges in the T-case. It's just isn't possible that the clutch would slip in low and not in the high ranges while street driving....UNLESS, you're referring to downhill descents in low with no throttle input and the vehicle could move faster than the engine can brake via the clutch.

and just to clarify....Manual transmissions don't slip, clutches do.  :psss:

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
hhmm, i do believe there is more torque in lower gears and torque will cause the clutch to slip before HP, look if you are Toyota guys and know the 22re, you slip a brand new clutch in 4th or 5th, you need to start looking at installation mess ups.

and that the stock clutch was never meant to have a double down low load attached to it.

the other problem he might have is a miss adjusted push rod on his clutch, or if he has a master cylinder from a cheap auto parts store it might not be releasing his clutch all the way, but your torque is going to spin the clutch before your 4th and 5 th gears just driving down the road.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »
More torque, YES! But that is to the wheels not against the clutch. Think about it...

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
it has to go through the clutch to get to the wheels, i understand where you are coming from, but think reverse from the wheels to the clutch, if your tires are getting good traction, what then is the weak link, if your clutch is slipping, the clutch or clutch system is the week link. so in my case i did not have but stock trans and transfer-case and a stock engine, and i also had a friend with an 88 stock truck including tires, my tires were 30x9.50 15, and he had the same problem on steep hill climbs, miner if you had weight in the back.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
Then maybe you can explain why it is that I have a stock clutch with nearly 100K on it with duals and lockers without slippage of any kind.

When you shift gears, everything in front of the component where the gear shift took place has a reduced torque load on it. Everything after the component where the gear shift took place has an increased torque load.

If your thinking is true then you should have no trouble taking off in 5th gear and not even smoke your clutch.

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
hhmm, i do believe there is more torque in lower gears and torque will cause the clutch to slip before HP, look if you are Toyota guys and know the 22re, you slip a brand new clutch in 4th or 5th, you need to start looking at installation mess ups.

and that the stock clutch was never meant to have a double down low load attached to it.

the other problem he might have is a miss adjusted push rod on his clutch, or if he has a master cylinder from a cheap auto parts store it might not be releasing his clutch all the way, but your torque is going to spin the clutch before your 4th and 5 th gears just driving down the road.
I agree with Glen...There's more load on the clutch in High range with the trans in 3rd or 4th than in any of the Low ranges in the T-case. It's just isn't possible that the clutch would slip in low and not in the high ranges while street driving....UNLESS, you're referring to downhill descents in low with no throttle input and the vehicle could move faster than the engine can brake via the clutch.

and just to clarify....Manual transmissions don't slip, clutches do.  :psss:
the topic of the thread is about a slipping clutch, to me that means a manual not auto trans

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
for every action there is an equal or greater reaction.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
Preaching to the choir...

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Then maybe you can explain why it is that I have a stock clutch with nearly 100K on it with duals and lockers without slippage of any kind.

When you shift gears, everything in front of the component where the gear shift took place has a reduced torque load on it. Everything after the component where the gear shift took place has an increased torque load.

If your thinking is true then you should have no trouble taking off in 5th gear and not even smoke your clutch.

with the center force i can take off in fifth gear with no smoking of the clutch, but it will buck jump a few times and then kill the engine, with your thinking, you have more torque in fifth gear, if that was the case you would not need duel cases,  all i am saying is Toyota designed the stock clutch to slip so you would not break axles or any thing major. and i am just repeating what i was told, i do not know if what i was told is true and i said that in my first post all i know is what i went through with my clutch, and i say if the OP went to a center force his clutch would not slip!

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
Oh lord no wonder you are arguing with me, you want you toy to become a Cheby!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
Well, you were certainly misinformed! NO CLUTCH is designed to slip! Designed to withstand more slip than some others maybe...this due to the fact that not everyone is a pro at driving a stick. I'm sure that's what was meant by the engineers or by that statement.

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »
then why doe your stock clutch smoke if you try to take off in fifth gear and mine does not?

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
Makes no difference whose junk it is, the clutch serves exactly the same purpose and there are only a few choices of materials for a clutch. The only thing will make any of the$ slip is a damaged pressure plate of fouled surfaces. What you see as an arguement has nothing to do with helping out the OP

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
Plenty of variables here...different clutch materials, different conditons of clutch wear, tire size, diff gears,... All these things could answer that. But I'm notdumb enough to do that just to prove a point

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
wrong i used and have used the same fly wheel, un turned the only difference is the centerforce clutch and fly wheel, the fly wheel is what makes the difference. Google centerforce.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »
Ok, I'm wrong, you win! Bye

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
i am not here to make anyone mad, i am talking about what i experienced.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
Your experience may be with one vehicle. Mine is with many since I've made my living working on this garbage, beit Toyota, Ford, Chevy....or whatever. I'm not mad, I'm not that shallow to be mad at this. But I won't make it a point to continue when it clearly is going to make a difference in anyone's understanding of what I'm expressing. I have head bolts to torque now. :beer:

toy4xfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
man the centerforce clutch has been in three different trucks and about five engines, sorry you think that i was only talking about one truck, also i went to Lincoln tech, years ago and worked in the trade. i am now an electrician, but i still work on my toyota.

tyes [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:24:22 PM »
what clutch you runnin?

stock autozone clutch kit with new FW / PP
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe

tyes [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
could it be the clutch not broken into yet?
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe

tyes [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
Is the clutch pedal adjusted right? 

funny that u ask, just the other day car wouldnt go into gear, found out fluids were out. dont know why it would run out.. added more fluid and pumped a number of time and i was back on the road..
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe

tyes [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »

im curious as well, i have 4 buddies with stock clutch with no issues....
86 T4R V8 1UZ-Fe