Author Topic: Spam from federalreserve.gov?  (Read 5212 times)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Spam from federalreserve.gov?
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »
I just got a quarantined (by my ISP) email which I have not opened. Says it's from alert @ federalreserve. gov (I inserted spaces for your protection :)) and the subject line says "Wire transfer was canceled".

Are spammers now using .gov addresses? I know it should indicate government sites. I am suspicious because I have not sent (or requested) any wire transfers from anyone, including the government. So I'm guessing it's not legitimate at best, or spam, or phishing....??

Wanted to see what people think before I delete it. If I could somehow report it, I would.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Spam from federalreserve.gov?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
That address will just get bounced to the "real" address where they will get what they need...if, in fact, the act of opening the email doesn't get them what they want.

But...you know me...I have a natural, healthy distrust of anything to do with gubmint
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »
But...you know me...I have a natural, healthy distrust of anything to do with gubmint
As do I  :yesnod: but I'm quite sure they aren't the instigator this time!

I had not considered a redirect. Of course, I am a babe-in-the-woods when it comes to computer stuff...  :eek:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »
I don't even think the FR has a .gov address...they're private, are they not?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:06:04 PM »
I got an email the other day from a company called nasda or something like that, said a recent transaction from my bank was rejected.  Almost coulda thought it was legit since I just made a large transaction to pay off dell, but a look at theirs and my transaction numbers and a quick call to verify my payment had gone through made it obvious it wasn't real.  A quick google search came up with much evidence of it being a scam.

Anyway, it sounds like almost the same scam, and I bet a quick search confirms that.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »
A lot of those type of emails have a link embedded in them that looks legit in the EMAIL

But if you look at the actual linked to site, it's NOT legit.   (in hotmail, if you hover the mouse over the link (DON"T CLICK) you'll see the actual site in the lower left corner of your web page if you're useing IE)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »
I don't even think the FR has a .gov address...they're private, are they not?
A quick Google search proved you to be correct, sir... kindly move to the head of the class.  :thumbs:

I don't feel too terribly foolish for not knowing, as it is apparently a common misconception that the Fed is a branch of government.  :redface:

emsvitil -- after reading your post, I went back to my ISP's spamblocker quarantine. I could view the email (without opening it?) and a bunch of other stuff. It looks official but contains a link to click (har har, nice try spammer, no f'n way!). I also looked at message details and they aren't good -- it actually came from some so-and-so at gmail.com and is identified as an illegal IP address, plus a bunch of other stuff I don't understand.

To the dumper it goes  :toilet2:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:59:18 PM »
The sad thing is...enough people fall for these things to make it profitable for the spammer. I am constantly amazed how many relatives I have in Malaysia, China, Japan and Nigeria. Despite my surname being notable in Japan...we're Jewish and Bri'ish, among others...but all European.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)