Author Topic: the official tire information thread...  (Read 23979 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
the official tire information thread...
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
We need a good tire thread. So when people (like me) who are looking to buy another set of tires, you can feel good about the 1200-2000 dollar decision they just made.

I will go first.

1st set: 35x12.50r15 bfg mud terrain measured 34 1/4 off the truck on a 15x10 steel wheel. Thin side wall, made for good air down, close to actual tire size, good road life, easy to balance, decent in snow, good in rocks except for thin sidewall, ok in mud.

2nd set: 36x12.50r15 super swamper sx's measured 34 1/2 off the truck on a 15x8 steel wheel. Good tough side wall, didn't like to air down. small for specified tire size, hard to balance, wore down fairly fast. Not good snow, decent rocks, not good in mud.

3rd set: 37x14.50r15 toyo mt's measured 36 1/4 off the truck on a 15x10 steel wheel. Good side wall, after break in they bag, pretty close to actual size, easy balancing, excellent tread life. worked good in rocks, decent in snow, good mud.

so lets have it. Not every tire you have ever ran, but the top 3 or so. all tires welcome, sizes, etc. I, as well as others would like to make a informed opinion when he/she buys another set of tires without hoping they fit, work good, type of wheelin is done with them etc.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: the official tire information thread...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »
1 set 33 bfg km1s measured 32inches good in snow sidewall wasn't bad had good wear rate relatively quite on the freeway on a 15x8 rim

2 35mtzs measured 34 1/2 has a tough sidewall did great aired down, great in mud rocks sand but sucked in snow got 5yrs of life from them easy to balance

3rd set 37mtrs what can i say that hasn't already been said great all around tire tough quiet on the road balance easy and wear rather well
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
Of the "modern tires" anyone would be looking to buy I have run are;

my current Pit Bull Rocker radials (very different than the bias tires) these things not only ride amazingly well on the street the form to the road well. Ive not had them on a trail yet (besides mud/fire roads) but I plan to take them to Hot Springs in two weeks for a shakedown run.   the balanced shockingly easy with 3 ounces on the worst tire :suprised:  They are a heavy tire. with my eagle rims they weigh 106 pounds.  much heavier than the Maxxis Bighorns

Maxxis Bighorns in a 35-12.50-15 on my 15x10 eagle alloy rims.  they had a terrific ride and only about 6 ounces to balance enough to run 80mph with no vibes. They gripped like a suction cup for having only a 1/4 inch tread when I got them.  and even at practically no tread at all this past January they stuck to the red iron ore at Barnwell Mtn very nicely.  and the snow and sleet we had here at home just before leaving for that trip. the sidewall tread did a great job. fairly light comparable in weight to a BFG mt 

the tires I had shortly before were some Wild Country (generic tires)  they rode like a bulldozer across hard pack and wouldnt grip a rock to save my life.  but they were very cheap and my first 35's.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Anyone? Just take a little time and write down your experience with the tires you have purchased wether good or bad.

I want to buy some pitbull maddogs but I don't know anyone with them.
So I go drop 2k on tires. End up hating them or loving them. I think this is a good place to read up on what people think of the tires they run.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

Cobbtunedsti

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
36 SX's not good on rocks?? Never heard of that one!!

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2011, 05:45:19 PM »
The 38.5 sx and the 36 sx are two totally different tires in my experience. I've wheeled both. The 36s sucked all around. Stiff as hell. The 38.5s on the other hand, big difference.

iRideRed

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »
i have a set of cooper discover's a/t 33x12.50x15 currently on my truck. they ride smooth balance easy and i've got good tread left at 40,000 miles on them. not the most greatest tire for hardcore off road but does great for my dd / hunting vehicle

Redfred018

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »
i have only rocked 31s so far one set bfg at and bfg km1s....both sets wore great! i would drop the coin and buy another set in a heart beat....next is goin to be sum km2 33's let ya know how they work out for me

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »
wow i started this thread a year ago

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
1.  35in BFG km1 on 15x8 rims. good wear life (cant telll how much on a truck that just sees the trail now) they rode good on road and did good in rocks,mud and snow. balancing was alright. good aired down not a bad side wall wish they still made these.

2. 37in BFG Krawlers . 17x8 rim. loud onroad wear pretty quick (blue labels) haven't had much chance to get them off road. should know in a week or 2. Balancing Sucked lots of weights on the rims. street use i dont really recommend them to much money for what they are.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
Wow that a cool thread idea yota_krawler!

My only personal experience is to compare 37" original-style MTRs VS 37" biased-ply ROCKERs

37x12.5x15 MTRs (original style) with 10"-wide aluminum wheels (installed and ran with these wheels for one year from 7/2007 - 7/2008)
Pros:
Great all-around tire.
Good in rocks
Easy to balance
Light weight compared to other tires (weighed 85 pounds with 15x10" aluminum wheels)
Good tire sizing: Measured 36-3/4" tall (mounted & off the rig)
People say the sidewalls are weak but I've never had a problem and I regularly run 3-5 psi beadlocked
Ride great on road

Cons:
Not so good in the sand
Average in the snow
Could be better on wet/muddy rocks

37x12.5x15 MTRs (original style) with 8"-wide Allied steel beadlocks (upgraded to beadlocks 7/2008, still running same tires and wheels today)
Improvements in the MTR with beadlocks:
-  WOW, running 4 psi compared to 7 psi is NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE with the 37" MTR. It is much smoother over rocks and has a lot more traction for Rock Crawling. No comparison.
Improvements in the MTR on 8" wide wheels instead of 10" wide wheels:
-  Tire sidewall squat is greatly improved and the tire rides smoother at the same lower air pressure
Disadvantage of the MTR on 8" wide wheels instead of 10" wide wheels:
-  The tires seems to ride harder at street pressure (I run 32-34 psi) than they used to with the 10"-wide rims

37x13.5x15 Pitbull ROCKER bias ply on 10"-wide steel wheels (ran for two years, 8/2006 - 6/2008)

I never ran the ROCKERs with beadlocks, so I was limited to 6 or 7 psi. Any lower and the stiff sidewalls caused air to burp out. I can only imagine they work better at 4 psi.

Pros:
MUUUUCCCCHHHHHH better Rock Crawling traction at 7 psi than MTRs at 7 psi air pressure (this is when I ran 10"-wide aluminum wheels on the MTRs)
Still better Rock Crawling traction at 7 psi than MTRs at 4 psi air pressure (this is with my current 8"-wide Allied steel beadlock wheels on the MTRs)
Perform especially well on wet/muddy rocks
Thick sidewall (if you like this or not)

Cons:
Poor tire sizing: Only measured 36-1/3" tall (mounted & off the rig)
Heavy! (weighed 108 pounds with 15x10 steel rims)
They balloon quite a bit, so you'll want to daily drive at low psi (20-25) to prevent wearing the center out, but then you'll make worse gas mileage
Bias ply flat spots, sucks for daily driver, especially in the winter months
Hard as hell to balance. Even when you think you got it balanced, just wait a few months and you'll have to rebalance them
Thick sidewall requires you to really air down to get any sidewall squat

Pics:

ROCKERs look nice and square off the rim...

But they balloon pretty bad on a 10" wide wheel...
Note the dusty/dirty contact section here. This is only at 20 psi. You'd need to daily drive at like 8 psi to get even wear.
Maybe these tires demand 12" wheels?? I never kept them long enough to find out

Tread depth:

37" MTR VS 37" ROCKER height comparison -- NOTE: ROCKER is disadvantaged slightly by the weight of my truck -- use your own judgement here

37" MTR + 10"-wide aluminum wheels VS 37" ROCKER + 10"-wide steel wheels -- NOTE: Difference in type of wheel

Front tire comparison:

Conclusion for Rock Crawling

If you want a tire sized 36-37 inches, and can settle with "good" Rock Crawling traction, then get 37" MTRs
If you can live with a smaller 35 inch tire, and desire REALLY GREAT Rock Crawling traction, then get 37" ROCKERs
Yes, I said 35 inch 37" ROCKER. It's true: the 37" ROCKER equipped rig will drag its axle housings across rocks that the 37" MTR equipped rig will be able to straddle without contact
Needless to say, if you daily drive your rig, don't get biased ply ROCKERs

Pics with 8"-wide beadlock wheels & 37x12.50x15 MTRs at 4 psi.

The Rock Crawling traction at such low PSI makes an incredible difference and I gladly trade ground clearance for this.

Nice molding around a rock under a load:

Here is an example of nice sidewall flex, this was closer to 3 psi:

Other Indirect tire experience:

37x12.50x15 Interco TrXuS MT VS 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MTRs (both using 10"-wide steel wheels)

I went on many trails with my friend Bevin who ran these TrXuS MTs, I've borrowed, daily driven for a few weeks, and have taken Bevin's rig on a few trails myself. Here is my external comparison that I experienced between our two rigs.
(Bevin has 37" TrXuS MT - 1984 3RZ-powered shortbed, I have 37" MTR - 1981 3RZ-powered shortbed)

Perceived equivalencies between the 37" TrXuS and 37" MTR:
TrXuS are sized good (appeared to be as tall as my 37" MTRs)
Equivalent in Rock Crawling performance
Light weight similar to the MTRs
Flexible sidewall similar to the MTRs (MUCH more flexible sidewall than Interco TSLs, also seems slightly more flexible than Interco IROKs)

Perceived advantages of the 37" TrXuS over the 37" MTR:
BLOWS THE MTR AWAY in the sand AND snow. MUCH better. I believe this is attributed to the side wall design, that, once deflated, creates a much wider footprint in comparison to the MTR.
MUCH BETTER sidewall design that gives a wide footprint when aired down, and "disappears" when aired up
Quieter on road
Wears as good or maybe better than MTR
Better handling on mountain roads

Perceived disadvantages of the 37" TrXuS vs the 37" MTR:
I did not experience any.

Conclusion:

In my opinion, the 37" TrXuS MT is every bit comparable to the 37" MTR, yet has a few points where it out performs the MTR. Therefore, I plan to replace my MTRs with these 37" TrXuS MT tires once my MTRs wear out.

Random internet pics of the TrXuS MTs

Ha, I forgot about this: I ran Bevin's tires on my truck for about a week while I was installing bead locks on my MTRs:
(This is from May 20, 2008)
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012, 09:47:49 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
Mike im like you i just now noticed this thing.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
:funny: :thumbs:

These aren't really comparison pictures, but here are some photos from my Facebook gallery to show my 37" MTRs with Bevin's 37" TrXuS MTs

Notes: Bevin has 10"-wide wheels compared to my 8"-wide wheels, so his tires look wider than mine as a result (both are rated to be 12.50" wide). Also, he only airs down to ~8 psi as he has no beadlocks. I think I am at 5 psi in this pic:

And here are some pics of Bevin's 3RZ-powered 1984 truck doing what it does best:

This is James (craftsman) wheeling Bevin's truck on Rubicon:

I like how the sidewall becomes part of the tread when the tire squats. For instance the rear tire in the below picture.
I believe this is why the TrXuS MT performs so well in the sand/snow: Because they are cheating by using that sidewall tread

Here is Bevin driving up above Bass Lake, CA. He really likes the TrXuS MT and so do I

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012, 10:02:15 PM by BigMike »

Toy-Cra-Ze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
What kind of life expectancy do you think you could get out of a set of trxus mt if you were also DD them or would it be better to run something else if i would be DD quite a bit also. I want a tire that i can get good mileage out of and be really good in the snow and rocks. Im wanting to run a 35 or maybe a 37x15 not really wanting to run a 17 just because of the cost difference in tires once you step up to a bigger wheel. Thanks

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
I ran 33"trxus mts and loved em all around

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
Wow that a cool thread idea yota_krawler!

37x13.5x15 Pitbull ROCKER bias ply on 10"-wide steel wheels (ran for two years, 8/2006 - 6/2008)

I never ran the ROCKERs with beadlocks, so I was limited to 6 or 7 psi. Any lower and the stiff sidewalls caused air to burp out. I can only imagine they work better at 4 psi.

Pros:
MUUUUCCCCHHHHHH better Rock Crawling traction at 7 psi than MTRs at 7 psi air pressure (this is when I ran 10"-wide aluminum wheels on the MTRs)
Still better Rock Crawling traction at 7 psi than MTRs at 4 psi air pressure (this is with my current 8"-wide Allied steel beadlock wheels on the MTRs)
Perform especially well on wet/muddy rocks
Thick sidewall (if you like this or not)

Cons:
Poor tire sizing: Only measured 36-1/3" tall (mounted & off the rig)
Heavy! (weighed 108 pounds with 15x10 steel rims)
They balloon quite a bit, so you'll want to daily drive at low psi (20-25) to prevent wearing the center out, but then you'll make worse gas mileage
Bias ply flat spots, sucks for daily driver, especially in the winter months
Hard as hell to balance. Even when you think you got it balanced, just wait a few months and you'll have to rebalance them
Thick sidewall requires you to really air down to get any sidewall squat

Pics:

ROCKERs look nice and square off the rim...

But they balloon pretty bad on a 10" wide wheel...
Note the dusty/dirty contact section here. This is only at 20 psi. You'd need to daily drive at like 8 psi to get even wear.
Maybe these tires demand 12" wheels?? I never kept them long enough to find out

Tread depth:

37" MTR VS 37" ROCKER height comparison -- NOTE: ROCKER is disadvantaged slightly by the weight of my truck -- use your own judgement here

37" MTR + 10"-wide aluminum wheels VS 37" ROCKER + 10"-wide steel wheels -- NOTE: Difference in type of wheel

Front tire comparison:

Conclusion for Rock Crawling

If you want a tire sized 36-37 inches, and can settle with "good" Rock Crawling traction, then get 37" MTRs
If you can live with a smaller 35 inch tire, and desire REALLY GREAT Rock Crawling traction, then get 37" ROCKERs
Yes, I said 35 inch 37" ROCKER. It's true: the 37" ROCKER equipped rig will drag its axle housings across rocks that the 37" MTR equipped rig will be able to straddle without contact
Needless to say, if you daily drive your rig, don't get biased ply ROCKERs

:attention:

the rocker radials are much nicer than the bias. and even at 30 psi they are still fairly square

I think the worst one only took 1 ounce of lead to balance
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »
the rocker radials are much nicer than the bias. and even at 30 psi they are still fairly square

I remember seeing your thread when you got those Glen and it looks like they made huge improvements with the radials!! :thumbs:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »
What kind of life expectancy do you think you could get out of a set of trxus mt if you were also DD them or would it be better to run something else if i would be DD quite a bit also. I want a tire that i can get good mileage out of and be really good in the snow and rocks. Im wanting to run a 35 or maybe a 37x15 not really wanting to run a 17 just because of the cost difference in tires once you step up to a bigger wheel. Thanks

I'd have to ask Bevin for more info, but they wore really great and he lived up in the foothills (lots of driving). I believe they wear as good as the MTRs. Just don't run a welded or automatic locker and you'll get at least three seasons out of them depending on how far you have to drive every day and how heavy your rig is I guess....

Toy-Cra-Ze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »
Thanks bigmike i was hoping you would chime in on my question i had!  :thumbs: I will be driving 40 miles everyday but during the summer there will be some days that i dont drive at all.  :yupyup:

Toy-Cra-Ze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
I'd have to ask Bevin for more info, but they wore really great and he lived up in the foothills (lots of driving). I believe they wear as good as the MTRs. Just don't run a welded or automatic locker and you'll get at least three seasons out of them depending on how far you have to drive every day and how heavy your rig is I guess....

Im finding the trxus mts online for about 1400-1500 does that sound like good price? I looked at 4wheelonline and one other place. Is there a better place to buy them from?? that price is for a 37x12.5x15

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
I have had 2 sets of Maxis 35-12.5R15 Treapadors.  They are great on the road, great on wet or clean granite.  They were not as good as the BFG's at the hammers, but outperform toyos everywhere.  I had one sidewall puncture from a stick playing racer in the desert.  They were also good in the snow.

1 set of pro comp mt's 315/75R16  traction was ok, ride was stiff but I think that is due to the load range D.

My brother bought Dunlop mud rovers 35/12.5R15.  Those tires are garbage and do not belong on an off road vehicle 3 sidewall punctures in 3 trails.

toyotacrawlin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '12
  • i love rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »
I need tires 33s with 15 inch rim for my 96 runner. rock crawling and daily driver.. any suggestions? thanks!
92 Toyota 6 inch lift straight axle and 35

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Get ones that are round and black. white letters are purely optional
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

toyotacrawlin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '12
  • i love rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
thanks!!!! haha
i been looking at toyos... all terrain or mud terain?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »
rock crawling or occasional moderate off road?  goodyear has 2 good options in the mtr kevlar and the dura trac
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cencalwheeler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »
I agree on the Goodyears. Cant go wrong with the Duratracs for a good all around tire.
87 money pit....

toyotacrawlin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '12
  • i love rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »
I got the duratracs!! They are amazing. snow mud ice!!! good so far!!

81_Toy4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »
I'm going to replace the 35's Toyo MT tires that have like 20% left on them on my 81 Toyota 4x4, and I was thinking of either BFG KM2's or Maxxis Bighorns. Most of my wheeling will be in snow and maybe a little bit of mud. Which tire would be better at loafing and traction in the snow?

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
Where above Bass Lake is that?  I get stuck there for a week every year and would love to go play.

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
I'm going to replace the 35's Toyo MT tires that have like 20% left on them on my 81 Toyota 4x4, and I was thinking of either BFG KM2's or Maxxis Bighorns. Most of my wheeling will be in snow and maybe a little bit of mud. Which tire would be better at loafing and traction in the snow?

Honestly id probably get.the km2s.    Every set ive seen seem to do really well