Author Topic: The Ultimate Shelf Road - Any Idea If This Is Real?  (Read 3324 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Shelf Road - Any Idea If This Is Real?
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
This picture showed up on my Facebook page when a friend commented on it.  It really looks like a real photo and based on its posting is hanging on the wall of a new bar and grill in town.  At some point you just have to crawl out the back and leave it where you parked it.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
if that is real that was a sketchy ride to that point
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
its probably real, Ive seen stuff like that before... who knows how wide it was getting up there... and if its SOLID ROCK... not that scary..

Fade has a picture in his posting that looks way out in the woods, he says its 10 yards off a paved road, that picture doesnt show whats ahead or whats behind
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
My grandpa has a Colorado 4x4 trails book from the 70s or something, and I'm pretty sure this picture was in it.  So for that reason, I want to say it is in CO somewhere... but I will have to look into it.  It was also used by Warn as an advertisement later on...
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
Found it!  Yep, it's in Telluride, CO:  http://flashoffroad.com/Articles/blackbear/blackbear.htm
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
Except that I just read this:  "This picture was from a 1975 Warn winch add. I found out that this picture may not be from Black Bear but it demonstrates how narrow and scary this trail really is."

The search continues.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
crazyness,
id do it

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I've been over Black Bear many times and there's nothing anywhere close to this narrow on that trail.  Webster Pass in Colorado is probably the more narrow pass I've seen and it's much better than this picture.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
bardies bar from hwy 70 is twice that wide but has eroded to about that,
a full size is right at the edge and pushin it, when I was 12 my sisters bf took us down it in a big chevy and I swear his outer tires were hangin off, and he was haulin as$
its a big canyon and almost straight down

not to mention its all slate rock and its always movin

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
There are plenty of old mine roads like that here in AZ. Every year or 2 a group in an suv gets lost, ends up on one, slides off, and dies...
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I've seen that picture in an ad, the location and the Jeep may be real but it was probably put there and not driven or like in some previous posts it's not as bad as it looks.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
If it was as bad as it looks in that photo, count me out. I am not insane, nor do I have a death wish.... and that's just plain crazy.  :twocents:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.