Author Topic: Think Before You Rant  (Read 2192 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Think Before You Rant
« on: Apr 23, 2011, 05:35:55 AM »
Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were.. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must Have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:
'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated..

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m . , a perfectly timed four- ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured..

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom..

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.

USAF

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Think Before You Rant
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
As touching as that is...I feel certain that's just an internet fable. A nice story used with the intention of teaching a lesson.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »
I can believe that. People are actually that selfish these days. We ran into the same thing while we were vacationing on Whidby Island in Washinton state. The locals were complaining about the same thing. I couldnt understand why, the base has been there forever and they havnt. No matter the story behind the story, it all comes down to the selfishness of the common American these days
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »
 :inthedark: I'd like to request an adult serving of crow...mashed potatoes/gravy on the side.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oif/profiles/fresquesjeremy.html

:usa:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »
I can believe that. People are actually that selfish these days. We ran into the same thing while we were vacationing on Whidby Island in Washinton state. The locals were complaining about the same thing. I couldnt understand why, the base has been there forever and they havnt. No matter the story behind the story, it all comes down to the selfishness of the common American these days

My usual response to this, if it's a civilian or a military airport. Is to ask how long after they bought their house did the base go in.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
My usual response to this, if it's a civilian or a military airport. Is to ask how long after they bought their house did the base go in.
I would prolly hate to hear all of that noise too, thats why I would never move close to a base.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »
:inthedark: I'd like to request an adult serving of crow...mashed potatoes/gravy on the side.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oif/profiles/fresquesjeremy.html

I knew it was true, don't forget I ran some restaurants there and a couple were in Sun City. Some of those people would outlaw children playing outside if they could, dang retirees.

I was also privileged enough to have been living in Santa Clarita when they had Regan's funeral, we had those jets circling for at least an hour above us.

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2011, 06:12:59 AM »
I personally love seeing air force jets flying over.  I live about 40 miles from Scott Air Force base and about 150 from Witeman Air Force Base but they never fly anywhere near St. Louis and when they do they're so high up I you can't see them and can barely hear them.   Witeman is home of the 509th Bomber Wing.  1 of only 2 Air Force units to operate the B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber.   I've never seen one of those except in an air show.

Heck we even have a squadron of F-15's from the air national guard at the St. Louis airport and I still haven't seen :pokinit:.   

****Although true this story happened in 2005. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2011, 07:29:15 AM »
i LOVE that jet sound. i go to the reno air races every year and that sound is amazing! rattles your boones. everytime i hear it i run outside and see if i can find it and figure out what it is! hell i might even go into the air force. good lesson though, people are selfish.
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »
i LOVE that jet sound. i go to the reno air races every year and that sound is amazing! rattles your boones. everytime i hear it i run outside and see if i can find it and figure out what it is! hell i might even go into the air force. good lesson though, people are selfish.
Don't get me wrong, that sound is amazing. I do the same thing when we have stuff fly over, like c 130s flyin just high enuff to clear tree tops, A 10 Thunderbolt, jets of every shape and size. Ive even seen some MIGs dog fighting in the airspace above the house. We live about 75 miles (as the crow flies) from Peterson AFB. They fly over all of the time, mostly C 130s and Blackhawks.

There is actually an interesting story around here. During WWII there was B17 that crashed in the mountains behind our podunk town here. It was suppoda land on a secret air strip in a valley over the divide from us, but they never made it. They never went into reclaim the plane or the crew because the terrain is some of the roughest terrain for a recovery. Jus a small piece of history round here
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »
When I was a kid our Boy Scout scoutmaster worked for McDonnell Douglas and while at our week long camp he had a pair of F4 Phantoms fly over the lake and they were low enough that the jets created a wake on the water.  They did like 4 passes.  It was so loud I couldn't ever hear myself yelling and you could feel it in your chest.   

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
I personally love seeing air force jets flying over.  I live about 40 miles from Scott Air Force base and about 150 from Witeman Air Force Base but they never fly anywhere near St. Louis and when they do they're so high up I you can't see them and can barely hear them.   Witeman is home of the 509th Bomber Wing.  1 of only 2 Air Force units to operate the B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber.   I've never seen one of those except in an air show.

Heck we even have a squadron of F-15's from the air national guard at the St. Louis airport and I still haven't seen :pokinit:.   

****Although true this story happened in 2005. 

Same here. I grew up near Beale AFB but they only have a limited selection of aircraft that come in and out and they would usually be pretty high up by the time they flew over my house. I was a huge military aircraft buff as a kid and I even saw the SR71 flying a few times (once breaking the sound barrier - way cool) before they were deactivated.

I now live in Davis which is on the flight path to Travis AFB. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts because I'm pretty good at distinguishing between different jet and helicopter by sound. Every time I hear one I haven't heard I run outside to see what it is. I love it. Just a couple weeks ago I saw a formation of Kiowa warrior helicopters leaving Travis. I wouldn't want to live right near a base or airport though.

That same stupid mentality caused big changes at the Costa Mesa airport. Don't know if any of you have taken off or landed there before but they built a subdivision RIGHT at the end of the runway. The airport used to be relatively far away from anything, but the city encroached on it. People bitched about the planes being too loud (gee ya think) so part of the takeoff/landing procedure is they actually shut the engines of the plane off and coast for a few minutes coming in, and as soon as they take off. They do an accelerated take off so they can get up high enough and to speed then shut the engines off until you get out over the ocean. Its pretty unnerving to feel the plane drop and lose momentum as the engines go silent. They warn you about it but it just goes to show how stupid people are. No good deal in the world would get me to buy a house with an airport in the backyard.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
We've had several war planes crash here in Tillamook, during WWII, and recently.  We have the world famous blimp hangar in town. 
It's been deactivated for many years.  But there is a collection of vintage war planes in the museum. 

When I was a kid, my uncle used to take me to Marine Dr. in Portland, Or.  And we would park and watch the pilots take off in the F-14's all day long.  There was nothing like watching the planes take off.  Especially, as soon as their landing gear was of the tarmac, they went vertical, until you couldn't see them anymore.   :usa:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2011, 02:15:51 AM »
I love them too, kinda like a security blanket knowing they are really out there. I used to live off George AFB and loved watching the Wild Weasels ( F-4 Phantoms ) take off, one day someone hit the afterburners a little early on takeoff and caused the false ceiling at the market to colapse.

Now if you really want a show attend Cal4Wheel's annual Panamint Valley Days event. The Navy trains out there from China Lake and the show is unbeatable. We usually get there on Thursday just to watch them, they'll come streaking through sometimes right on the deck just above us. Sometimes you can actually see the pilots looking at you.

Another one is the Truckhaven and Superstition Mountains, Miramar and the Blue Angels train in those areas.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2011, 03:01:10 AM »
i am currently in afghanistan...... i see and hear the planes, and choppers 24/7 (i actually worko nthe flightline, so i am clsoer to it than most people will ever be)..... it never gets old, i love the sound of the f16s taking off, even if it is every hour and keeps me awake... i only sleep about 1-4 hours a day here... we have HR ceremonies about 3-4 times a week.... it's really heartbreaking to see those... but it makes a person realize, those soldiers, died for our freedoms...

i watched a movie last week called taking chance... it was sad, but at the same time, made me open up my eyes a little more.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2011, 07:31:14 AM »
i watched a movie last week called taking chance... it was sad, but at the same time, made me open up my eyes a little more.....

Good Movie