Author Topic: what size of tires  (Read 4072 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
what size of tires
« on: Jan 21, 2005, 10:39:32 AM »
Got a few concerns thoughts going into this. I need new tires, I really like what I have got (goodyear MTRs) and I'm thinkin I will just replace those with another set.  I have ridden in vehicles with swampers and other tires, and since my truck is also my DD, they seemed to be the best all around tire.  The question is, I am not quite sure what size of tire to go with.  I have 37"s, and they rub in the front on hard bounces and going into driveways.  Not much more I can do in the trimming department either.   I have 5.29s fornt and back, and fully locked, even with the IFS.  SHould I drop down to a 35" tire?  would that get some strain of the diff gears, I know it will help with the rubbing and prevent me from breakin CVs in the front.  What are other benefits of running a slightly smaller tire, aside from price?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: what size of tires
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2005, 11:59:41 AM »
what are some comparative tires??  I got some prices from American Tire company that seemes pretty good for these tires, I've heard them quoted eslewhere for a lot more

37" $188
35" $169

these are all for 15" rims

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

mplatzer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 126
  • Member since Jan '05
  • if you aint done jack you dont know :pokinit:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2005, 01:09:57 PM »
well the advantage with running a smaller tire:  better gas milage, less strain on your clutch, but the damage has already been done most likely, less strain on the ring and pinion. just my :twocents:  :welcome:
HAMMERS THE BEST TRAILS IN THE WORLD

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2005, 01:12:35 PM »
well, its a newer clutch, about a year old, so hopefully not too much damage has been done.  I am thinkin droppin down becasue right now this is a weekend wheeler/DD.  I put 800-1000 miles on my truck every month, sometimes more.  What preformance changes could I expect going from a 37" to a 35" tire with 5.29s?

-Ronald Reagan

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2005, 02:15:35 PM »
How's the performance with the 37's and the 5.29 gears? 

That's kinda of the route I want to take and I think my little 22R is going to hate me  :greengrin:   If I didn't want to drive it to the trails and stuff, I would leave the 4.10 in the axles and just run the dual ultimate setup.  But I want to try and drive it to the trails and I think I could get by with the 37's, 5.29's and just dual cases.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2005, 02:21:14 PM »
with the 5.29s and 37"s, it runs like spotter's dad's truck used to run with stock ears and tires.  Same type of preformance.  I think the 5.29s are as good as you are gonna get to power the 37"s.  I dunno how your 22r is gonna like them though :driving:   I've got the 3.0, and it doesnt mind too much

-Ronald Reagan

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2005, 08:23:58 PM »
It depends on how much power your engine has.  My friend has a newely rebuilt 22r, 4.88's and 37's.  He can bomb faster down the road then i can with my 22r, 5.29's, and 35's.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2005, 10:15:50 PM »
37's are really to much for IFS IMO if the rig is running the trail a lot, especially with both diffs locked.

I haven't ever seen where an extra inch of ground clearance made any difference at all on the trail, nothing a different line or a well placed rock wouldn't fix. 

I think given your trucks dual duty, the added weight of the 37's and the power needed to turn them, along with the added stress this puts on the IFS, you would be better off dropping back down to 35's.

As to the 22r turning the 37's, if you rebuild the engine, you should be able to turn them easilly enough, providing you have 5.29'
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2005, 02:08:26 AM »
thats kinda what i was thinkin as well snowtoy :beerchug:  my truck has plenty of power, I just want to keep in it good running shape longer

Keep up the input guys, appreciate it

-Ronald Reagan

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2005, 02:09:44 AM »
If a sas is in the near future then Id get 37's.  If its gonna be awhile Id just get 35's to save on the front end parts.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

toyhunter

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 263
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since Dec '04
  • I Dont Brake For Queers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2005, 10:11:57 AM »
Go with the Toyo open country mudd terrain tires for your weekend warrioir :yumyum:
Everyone starts off in life crawling but lots of us grow up and still are crawling around everywhere

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2005, 02:12:57 AM »
I dunno, I have been really happy with my MTRs :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

sickfab

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2005, 09:28:55 PM »
I like my 37" MTR's alot too.
Imo, I also think that the 37's will eat steering components on the IFS stuff too..... :(
Rocks in my head

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2005, 09:32:01 PM »
If a sas is in the near future then Id get 37's. If its gonna be awhile Id just get 35's to save on the front end parts.

I agree with that. Id get MT/Rs for good road manners and the amount of time they will last on road too. My 37" MT/Rs have 800 miles on em and still have some nipples. Its crazy. And that is 2 snow trips too...

Chris
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:37:41 PM »
I've pretty much settled on MTRs, now it is a matter of what size. Hopefully an SAS will be done soon, but  :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:29:54 AM »
blackdog,  what kind of wheels do you have,   if your running steel wheels and 37's now you will have a BIG improvement going to 35's and alum alloy,   but either way the 35's are what i would do if i was you, afterall,  i believe Marlin runs 35's,    it will make things much more easy on your suspension and steering
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2005, 12:37:17 PM »
:dunno: what rims I have, they came with the tires.  Got'm for $400 from a 4x4 shop.  The owner's bro had a buggy, and tried'em once, decided he needed swampers, so he put them out in the lot with a sign said for sale, and the rest is history. :thumbs:   They were siped?  and everything.

-Ronald Reagan