Author Topic: Replacement exhaust for stock 22RE for perormance air flow?  (Read 10848 times)

PadawanYota_Stovy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 154
  • Member since Apr '09
  • I drive , I wheel , I crawl , I am Toyota
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
 I'll be looking at replacing my stock 22RE whole exhaust sometime this spring from the manifold on out.I was curious what would be the better way to to buy a muffler then steal piping or a whole unit system?Looking to spend under 300 or less as possible.My 85 pickup has the 22RE 5 speed in it.I would like to try and have the exhaust get some good air flow and quality performance if possible as well as a good sound.Any ideas or thoughts would be good.

Stats : 85 Toyota 22RE , 3" body lift, 32" wild country's, Duel Marlin, Lock rights front and rear, full inside cage. 

I drive , I wheel , I crawl , I am Toyota

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
You want a good header with 2.25" pipe all the way back, and please for the sake of god, put a quiet muffler on it.  

What part of WA you from, if I remember right, you are close to the Tri-Shitties area?  If you are, get ahold of White Trash, he has several headers, and just might have what you need.  He is the master of collecting stuff.  

Cause, if you go new header, that will blow your budget right there. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

PadawanYota_Stovy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Chess thanks for the reply,
 Don't worry I won't go with a loud ugly coffee sound exhaust noise.I hate loud mufflers btw.I hear to much of them and would never put them on.I never though about getting rid of the current headers good point there.I will look around for those are they really that spendy?Yes I do live out by White Trash, probably in the same area.But will look around still for prices as I am saying up for other bills right now.Would you recommend I take it to a muffler shop near by?We have a descent one in the area.

Stats : 85 Toyota 22RE , 3" body lift, 32" wild country's, Duel Marlin, Lock rights front and rear, full inside cage. 

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
If you are good at welding, then buy some exhaust pipe kits and weld up your own pipe.  Or just go to a muffler shop and have them do it up in less than an hour.  I vote on a good muffler shop and be done with it in a couple hours.

A new header will run ya anywhere from $160 to almost $400. 

I'd look into a header that has a very thick flange. Your cheaper ones will have a tendency to warp.  And another thing to look into, is a mild cam, this will help get more air into the chamber.  I know LCEngineering and Enginbldr carry good ones. 

Another trick is to have the muffler guy bend ya up a new piece of pipe that will go from your AFM to your TPS/intake.  This will give a smoother inflow of fresh air.  And no restriction.

Yeah, to be honest, you will probably be spending more than your budget to do it right.  But you can also do it in stages.  Some/most headers are direct replacements for factory exhaust.  Meaning they fit between the block and will bolt right up to the cat. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

PadawanYota_Stovy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
 OK well I think I am going to just stick with my stock exhaust and not change anything for air flow or performance.I've looked around and won't be able to do for how much I wanna spend.Which alright.I mean this is just a trail rig any how.Do you have any sites on where I can look at prices for a full exhaust system from the header down and out,because really nothing wrong just all holed out and falling apart etc.I can't seem to find any good exhaust sites on google . Thanks again.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I just did a real cheap 2 1/4" on my 88.

I got one 4 foot piece of Summit exhaust tube, part # SUM-64022 for $11.95

Two 45 degree mandrel bends, part # IMM-52014 for $18.95 each

One cat, many under $60. Magnaflow have free shipping right now. From Summit

One muffler, tons to choose from, cheap.

I already had the header and cut existing hardware/hangers off old parts. Welded them to new system all in stock location.

If you have a stock engine and gears with bigger tires, you will be disappointed in a larger exhaust. It will kill  any low end torque you have. It did on my wife's stock 86 4Runner. However, On my modded engine with correct gears for my tire size, my truck runs great. Noticeable difference.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

PadawanYota_Stovy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
OK thanks 2many2toys.Also one more questions.On the cat part is there anything I gotta use off it or can I just buy a new one and be good?Right now I am a stock motor,and duel cases no gearing and only 32" tires for now.But won't be going over 40" if I do. I just really want a stock exhaust because mine rattles like a mother :pokinit: can down the road.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
You might be surprised and find the stock exhaust is not too expensive. I bought the stock cat back part of the system from the dealer cheaper than a muffler shop was going to charge. That was a long time ago though.

It was complete from the cat to tail pipe, all welded up and a perfect fit. Try toyodiy.com. Punch in your VIN and see how much for the stock system. Once you get the part number, google it and see if you can find a better price.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress