Author Topic: 1984 22r -- Need heat shield tube/hose to air cleaner  (Read 5509 times)

mrtt999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
1984 22r -- Need heat shield tube/hose to air cleaner
« on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
Hello, I am new to the forum, and I am looking for CA smog equipment information for the truck I recently purchased.  It is a 1984 standard cab with a 22r.  It is missing the hot-air tube/hose that connects from the exhaust manifold heat shield to the air cleaner assembly.  So far, I believe that is the only thing missing for emissions testing.
I have a heat shield, that is not currently installed on the truck, but no other related hardware.  Could someone please post a pic of what this looks like, preferably installed?  Also, I am looking for a good manual, a FSM would be great, but anything at this point, for vacuum and emissions diagrams.  Is the Haynes manual of any value?  Awesome forum by the way! -- Thank you!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
The shield just bolts to the exhaust manifold with I believe 10mm bolts, the tube you can get from Autozone and connects to the air cleaner.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

mrtt999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Thank you for the information.  Maybe I have the wrong heat shield.  It has 3 bolt locations, to attach to the exhaust manifold, but there isn't any provision for any tubing.  I was told the tubing attaches to the heat shield via a piece that clips on. ?? Not sure.  I had a Fiat 124 Spider with the same type of setup, and the heat shield had a built in hose connection pipe, 2-3", on the manifold side.  I can fab something together, as long as I can get through the visual part of the smog test.  The emissions tests all passed.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Let me see if I have any shots for you, I was at work when I posted and had no images. :crossed:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Here's the best shot I could find, it is on a header so your sheild looks a little different than the tube on my header.

mrtt999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Thank you for the pic, very helpful!  I am putting something together that should hopefully work. 

mrtt999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Rocksurfer, thank you again for the pic.  I had the wrong heat shield, which didn't have any provision for the hot air intake hose.   :smack:  I picked up the correct one and I am finally getting the truck back together for smog/reg..