Author Topic: speedo cable  (Read 1611 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
speedo cable
« on: Jan 10, 2005, 10:49:03 PM »
ok my speedometer has been going crazy when it gets cold out, it will make an extremely loud vibrating, grinding noise from behind the gauge cluster and the speedo will wind out (broke the needle)  ANYWAY Its completely broken now, so im hunting for a new gauge cluster. Anybody have this happen? Im wondering it it was the gauge or the wire at fault.  Thanks in advance

Luke

ps: anyone convert to autometer gauges?
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:11:16 PM »
The cable was to blame.  Junkyard a good one, pull it out of the sheath and clean both thoroughly.  Spray a good white lithium lube down the housing a couple of times to make sure there's plenty inside then make sure there's a good coat on the cable itself before re-installing it into the housing.  Do this once a year and your home free.  My 91 2wd speedo bounced all over when I bought it so I just lubed the cable, it went away for a little while but came back, so I pulled it and did all that and it's been quiet and smooth for quite a while.  What year gauge cluster did you need?  I have a few I was gonna put on ebay soon and would sell you one if you want.  They're out of a 2wd, but you can switch the actual gauges themselves into your cluster if it's the right year.    Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:15:59 PM »
thanks for the advice Nate. Those clusters seem fairly hard to come by out here for some reason. I have an 81 with out the tach. I heard a rumor that the trucks without the tach are pre-wired for one. Anyway that would be great if you could scrounge one up.

Luke
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:27:13 PM »
$25 plus shipping and it's yours.  It's out of an 80 so it would fit yours, and it has the factory tach and trip meter.  There's a slight scuff in the plastic in front of the speedo, but it looks like it would come out with a little plastic polish.  I took a pic of it but haven't transfered it to disk yet, but when I do I'll send you a pic.  If you have trouble finding a t-cable lemme know too, I should be able to find one at the wrecker, they have a few of those right now and I'd just charge you my entry fee plus what the cable cost.  You can pay me with paypal too if that makes it easier.  Pm me with your email address so I can send you pics when I get em,    Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!