Poll

4 (50%)
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Speedo cable died?  (Read 2269 times)

slickrock209

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jul '07
  • BRRaapppp
    • View Profile
Speedo cable died?
« on: Jun 01, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
My 88 fi s/b 4x4 toyota, speedo took a crap on me? :smack: I pulled the speedo cable frome the t-case ends and everything seems to be fine. Does the gauge just got bad, or wireing, or just the cable. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks jeff

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Speedo cable died?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2008, 01:22:09 PM »
do you have a cable  that runs from the tcase to the cab??  cause  most efi trucks dont have a cable  they have a  speed sensor, and the sensor goes bad all at once sometimes, and um yea they are like $250 at a dealer
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »
Mine has quit too, think the cable snapped, don't think I could speed in it anyways.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »
Remove the speedometer cable at the t-case & hook up a drill to it. Have someone watch the dash to see if the needle moves. If the needle doesn't move, try the reverse on the drill & see if the needle moves. If it still doesn't work then remove the gauge cluster & disconnect the cable from the back or the speedometer. Use the drill to spin the cable from the t-case & have someone watch the cable in the cab. If it spins then your cable is good & your gauge is bad. If the cable doesn't spin then replace the cable. Hope this helps.

By the way, I voted 3 but I don't know why  :dunno:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

slickrock209 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '07
  • BRRaapppp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
do you have a cable  that runs from the tcase to the cab??  cause  most efi trucks dont have a cable  they have a  speed sensor, and the sensor goes bad all at once sometimes, and um yea they are like $250 at a dealer

Yah theres a cable running from t-case to gauge cluster

Remove the speedometer cable at the t-case & hook up a drill to it. Have someone watch the dash to see if the needle moves. If the needle doesn't move, try the reverse on the drill & see if the needle moves. If it still doesn't work then remove the gauge cluster & disconnect the cable from the back or the speedometer. Use the drill to spin the cable from the t-case & have someone watch the cable in the cab. If it spins then your cable is good & your gauge is bad. If the cable doesn't spin then replace the cable. Hope this helps.

By the way, I voted 3 but I don't know why  :dunno:

ill try your steps n track down the problem. i didnt know what the hell to put there so 1 2 3 worked ???

Thanks guys :beerchug:

slickrock209 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '07
  • BRRaapppp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
I unhooked the speedo cable at t-case and spun it with the drill and it worked counter clockwise but not clockwise, it said we  were doing 110 in the driveway lol. I drove it but it still didnt work?
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2008, 06:45:09 PM by slickrock209 »

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »
With the able off at the t-case, make a mark to reference where the cable lines up. Remove the driveshaft from the back of the t-case & rotate the yoke & see if the drive in the t-case moves.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
I unhooked the speedo cable at t-case and spun it with the drill and it worked counter clockwise but not clockwise, it said we  were doing 110 in the driveway lol. I drove it but it still didnt work?

That sounds like the gear broke then.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2008, 12:50:54 PM »
just remove the gear, theres a 12mm head  bolt  right next to it,  remove that  and wiggle  the  gear holder (what the cable screws onto)till it pops right out,  the  gear is plastic
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2008, 02:05:43 PM »
Dang you guys, now you made curious I went and checked mine and the cable is broke, actually it broke at the tip and the cable by the tcase. That makes me think it siezed somewhere along the cable especially since I can't pull the cable out.

slickrock209 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '07
  • BRRaapppp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »
Yep it was the plastic speedo gear teath wore worn out, i had a spare t-case lying there so i swaped the speedo gears out and it worked. Thanks Guys im legal again :laugh:  :beerchug:

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
I've had speedo cables try to stick - you can tell, cause they start to make a clicking sound and the needle bounces around.  You can fix these before they break if by spraying penatrating lube in the cable housing from the gauge side while someone is spinning the trans side of the cable with a drill.  Just my  :twocents:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"