Author Topic: Bobby Long Beadlocks  (Read 18835 times)

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
Bobby Long Beadlocks
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »
Just got some Bobby Long Beadlocks, with the anti coning ring  :cool: Super stoked.these are going on 15x8s with some old school 37" MTR's... was gonna install them this weekend until i realized i have 2.5" bs rims which I guess means the wheels have been flipped. From what I have read this means that all(most) rims have an, inside-strong bead//outside-weak bead. the outside bead on 3" or more bs rims weaker then the inside bead. So on my 2.5" back spaced black steelies. I have the stronger bead on the outside and weeker on the inside... But for the ideal setup I would need the stronger bead on the inside of the wheel and the weeker on the outside giving more purpose for the DIY beadlock... hope i didnt lose any one there.

Anywho i got my beadlocks and just painted the outer ring. Gonna start lookin for some 3" bs black steelies so i can get these babies rollin :driving:

Inner ring gets welded inside the lip of the outer part of the wheel (that extra ring of metal is the anti coning ring)
The anti coning ring does just what it sais. It keeps the outer ring that compresses the tire between the two rings from coning. making a stronger DIY beadlock. and keeping your bolts straighter and your outer ring stays flat.

outer rings before paint

after paint, I went with the charcoal grey hammered rust "o" leum paint. sorry for the :pokinit: cell phone pics

more to come once i find some 3" bs spaced wheels :D
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011, 09:43:10 PM by swapped89 »
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 1,660
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Long Beadlocks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »
Lost me for a second, but I get it. You want to weld the ring to the weak side of the rim because the ring will then make the weak side stronger, so you will have a rim with both sides strong rather than a rim with a really strong side and still a weak side right?

oh and the paint is gonna look sick on your truck with the black steelies :thumbs:

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »
How much did you pay for them? Post pictures once you're done, anxious to see the out come.  :popcorn:

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »
Lost me for a second, but I get it. You want to weld the ring to the weak side of the rim because the ring will then make the weak side stronger, so you will have a rim with both sides strong rather than a rim with a really strong side and still a weak side right?

oh and the paint is gonna look sick on your truck with the black steelies :thumbs:
EXACTY RIGHT thanks for summing it up for me. :thumbs: :beerchug:

How much did you pay for them? Post pictures once you're done, anxious to see the out come.  :popcorn:

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/products/15%22-WELD-ON-BEADLOCKS.html

Will post pics when I'm done FO SHO!!  :gap:
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »
A little off topic, but how do you like the rustoleum hammered paint? I've considered using it but have never really heard anything on it.

Those beadlocks are going to look :cool: when there finished, too. As always looks like bobby long made another quality product.

I'd check summit for wheels if you haven't already, you can probably get what your looking for at a decent price.

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »
A little off topic, but how do you like the rustoleum hammered paint? I've considered using it but have never really heard anything on it.

Those beadlocks are going to look :cool: when there finished, too. As always looks like bobby long made another quality product.

I'd check summit for wheels if you haven't already, you can probably get what your looking for at a decent price.
I really like the hammared paint! It works best if you can paint it on a horizontly flat surface. And i would test it out a couple times... To get it to look good you gotta lay down about twice as much as a regular paint. Never got a second coat to work with this stuff. But with some practice you can make it look :boobs: with one coat. :yesnod:

I just found my LesSchwab receipt and typed in the product code on the Allied Wheels website and found that they should be 3 3/4" back spaced so I might be set to jet on the welding this weekend.  :greengrin: (reciept is from replacing a bent wheel a couple months ago) But Im gonna pull a wheel tomorrow after work and measure. My saying they are 2.5" bs was from memory about a year ago when i bought the tires/wheels used.
If they turn out to be 2.5bs I will check out Summit Racing. :thumbs:

wheel product code 5158060

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:19:33 AM »
pics yet?
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »
I got a set of bobby's beadlocks about 6 years ago. Love em, still rockin

Only pics i got

A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »
those things look so sick
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
they look even better in person!!

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
pics yet?
Read first post...I just painted the outer rings last night and still have to figure out if my wheels have the right backspacing, befor ei can install them. :thumbs:

thankjs for the pics SWEATMEAT  the new Bobby Long locks dont have the fancy touch to them like the old ones. But I think it will help keep the popo's  :eye: :eye: from catchin a glimpse of what they really are. :crossed:

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
Read first post...I just painted the outer rings last night and still have to figure out if my wheels have the right backspacing, befor ei can install them. :thumbs:

thankjs for the pics SWEATMEAT  the new Bobby Long locks dont have the fancy touch to them like the old ones. But I think it will help keep the popo's  :eye: :eye: from catchin a glimpse of what they really are. :crossed:
i did read.. i aint look at the date

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
i don't think your wheels are 3 3/4" bs maybe 3

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
i don't think your wheels are 3 3/4" bs maybe 3
I dont either thats just what the website said for my product number. Im gonna pull a wheel tonight and measure it for myself. :crossed:

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
WOOHOO! I dont know why I thought the wheels were 2.5" BS. But I just measured and they are the standard 3.75" BS so Im set to jet this weekend. Just gotta go to the sporting goods store and get some airsoft bb's to throw in when I start mounting stuff up. :thumbs:

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
wow thats crazy you must rub spring like its going out of style i have 2.5" bs and i touch spring here and there

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
do you have wheel spacers? My tires never rub the springs.

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:48:25 AM »
wow thats crazy you must rub spring like its going out of style i have 2.5" bs and i touch spring here and there

the less backspacing you have the more your tire sticks out of the fenders. the more you have like a stock 4 inch BS thats when your tire would be rubbing springs. less is better , i think a 2.5 - 3 inch BS would be ideal with a 1.5 spacer if youre runnin 37's or bigger.

edit : forgot with less BS the more your tire swings so i see how you would rub with the 2.5 with out spacers
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 07:54:40 AM by NCK4L »

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
do you have wheel spacers? My tires never rub the springs.
nope

:ladys-man:

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
good info in the post.  can someone please clarify for me what you mean when you say a 2.5bs wheel has a week side on the inside vs. a 3 or 3.5bs?  I'm getting ready to do this same set up on my 2.5bs wheels.  i really don't want to go with less bs.  is the steel actually weaker, or are you talking about the bean portion where the tire seats not being able to hold the tire on, on the inside of of the 2.5bs?  hope i make sense.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
2.5" bs spaced wheels have the weeker bead on the inside of the rim.
3" or more have the week bead on the outside of the rim.

Beadlocks on a 2.5" bs wheel still leaves you with the week week bead on the inside of the tire. Its just not the best way to go about having beadlocks. also with the 2.5"bs wheel people have a HELL of a time getting the tire over the outside of the rim. I have read about tire companies breaking machines just trying to get the bead over the outside of a 2.5"bs wheel (EDIT: after the ring is welded on) . Do some research and you'll see what i mean.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 09:11:47 PM by swapped89 »

jackson58

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »
I have 2.5 backspaced rims that the safety bead is on the inside and have never had any sign of a problem mounting tires. Rubbing springs with these wheels with no wheel spacer is also not going to happen.
Dirt is for wheelin not for wearin you filthy hippie!

91 ex-cab

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 1,660
  • Member since Mar '10
  • Honey Badger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
I have 2.5 backspaced rims that the safety bead is on the inside and have never had any sign of a problem mounting tires.
I think he might of been talking about once the ring is welded on.

1980yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
I run 4" bs rims with 35" tires and 1.5" spacers with no rubbing issues. I think I will have to change wheels when I bump up the tire size though.

Ready to see some finished pics! I was thinking about going this route with the new wheel tire combo.....

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5028692  (A little about 2.5" bs wheels)
and post #4 in that thread has another link.

:thumbs: just one of the many things I read tryin to figure it out.

I think Im goin snow wheelin tomorrow night, but I will more than likely have pics by saturday night  :D
I have 2.5 backspaced rims that the safety bead is on the inside and have never had any sign of a problem mounting tires.

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »
Picked up my "tire balancers" today during lunch, got two bags. :gap:

will take 980 of them to make 7ounces worth. Thats how much Im gonna start out with in each tire.

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »
are you going to count them out? hahaha

and i run a 2.5" bs wheel so i dont have to run wheel spacers and can still steer my pig

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:26:44 PM »
are you going to count them out? hahaha

yes Im gonna count them one by one...  :shake:  Anyways I had to work all weekend so no  beadlocks till next weekend  :hammerhead:

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
Well i got some work done on the beadlocks this weekend. Things have been pretty crazy with me brerakin up with my girl of 5 years so im havin a hard time gettin these babies done but they are almost done. Hopefully tonight i will have a couple of them put together. :beerchug:

cleaned the paint off the rim

filled in valve stem hole so i can move it for easier access

ring centered and tacked on

layin beads

teaser pic

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
Lookin good! I want to do this to my wheels this spring..... :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)