Author Topic: Need opinions on winch  (Read 8240 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Need opinions on winch
« on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:14:34 PM »
Im shopping around for a winch for my 81 toy. I have read numerous articles about the pros and cons, but there dont seem to be many real world users out there. I am interested in a hydraulic simply because they do not strain the trucks electrical system and they will keep going without overheating. Electric winches seem like the most popular but I have seen these on the trail and I was not impressed at all. Maybe people are running stock charging systems but they had to keep pausing and wait for there battery to catch up.  Also, do milemarker winched bolt up to marlins bumpers? Im assuming the bolt pattern is the same as warn, ramsel, superwinch etc.....  thanks in advance

Luke
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Need opinions on winch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:23:06 PM »
I have hours & hours of time on my Mile Marker 9000. This was one of the first ones to come out years back and it is going on the Willys next. Money well spent if you ask me! I am going to put an electric on the rear just in case I loose the engine. It is easer to get out the way you went in.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:28:55 PM »
I've got a Ramsey REP8000 on my truck.  I've been really happy with it, but hell, it was FREE!  I run it with a stock alternator on my 22RE and an Optima battery.  I've stalled the winch trying to drag my truck over a rock that was jammed on the tcase crossmember and the rear axle (real hung up!) but never had to wait for my battery to catch up.  MY winch is hooked to the side posts of the optima- some people say this is a no-no  :nonono:  but I've never had any trouble.

Also, I'm planning on installing a cheapo Harbor Frieght winch on the front of my trailer.  It looks EXACTLY like my Ramsey, but is made in Taiwan or China or something...  I'd never use it on the trail, but on the trailer it might be just right.  Just my  :twocents:

Hope this helps-
Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I definately know the value of having a winch mounted on a trailer. If I was loading a car alone, I would chock the trailers tires, hook a strap the the back of my truck and to the car being loaded, and hope it stops rolling once you get it on the flatbed! Not fun but made the job more exciting.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:20:47 AM »
just wait til you are on your side and need to winch yourself over. or are in a point where running the motor isnt an option like when u are almost under water. there are a lot of times when a hydro winch cannot work

DRew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Supra 4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:47:39 AM »
The stock Toyota power steering pump does not have enough pressure or volume (dont know which) to run the Mile Marker hydraulic winch. A friend of mine has one on his Toyota and he rigged up a Briggs motor and pump to run the winch and allow him to be able to use the winch if his truks motor was dead. It worked fine at his house but always failed when on the trail. I think the Mile Marker is a good winch but there is a reason 99% of people use electric winches, SIMPLICITY. I have a Ramsey Pro 6000 and it has worked flawlessy for about 8 years now, a little slow but was a I could afford when I bought it.
1985 4Runner, 33" Boggers, rear spool, TJM front bumper, custom rear w/tire carrier, custom rock slider. Sold my 84 ExtraCab w/ Supra 5MGE to buy this 4Runner so my wife and kids could go with me.

DAWGTOY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 460
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Jul '04
  • aint too old & broke up to sit down yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:27:46 AM »
i've  got one of the cheepo northern hyd. ramsey clones. 8500 lb use it regulary and has never let me down. i use 2 napa gel cel batterys an never have to wait.when you are stalled in a deep water hole you will wish you had a elec.
 just m 2cents.
1983 TOY SHORT PICKUP .35/12.50S EXO CAGE HOMEMADE BED CAMO PAINT, REARS UP FRONT CHEVYS IN THE REAR, 4 WHEEL DISK, CABLE LOCKER REAR, LOCK RITE FRONT, 5.29GEARS FRONT & REAR.BOBBY LONG 30 SPLINES 9500 lb WARN WINCH. DUAL
T CASES WITH 4.7 IN THE REAR. THANKS MARLIN

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:51:22 AM »
I've got a Warn HS9500I and it's great. (now discontinued for a newer model) Spools fast and haven't had a problem overheating it yet.
"between projects"

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:13:59 PM »
just wait til you are on your side and need to winch yourself over. or are in a point where running the motor isnt an option like when u are almost under water. there are a lot of times when a hydro winch cannot work

DRew
Been there done that.  Winched myself upright on a tight trail where no one could get to me, and winched myself out of a swollen creek in Jose Basin above Fresno. Windshield Deep  :ack: It's a warn winch.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2005, 05:12:52 PM by toecutter »
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:23:20 PM »
Um... tow strap around a tree, then back around a tire? :headscratch: Thats all the winch I got  :rivers:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:51:20 PM »
sounds scary.

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:58:41 PM »
i cast the same vote as reklund. i also have a rep8000. its a great winch and i got mine new for $150.  i use the stock alternator and a cheapo battery! some guy with a harbor freight winch thought it was the same till he saw how much faster it pulled then i told him it was a ramsey
Im an OG

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:22:17 PM »
I personally think unless you are in competitions, line speed takes a backseat to value.  For a typical toyota truck, a 8K lb winch is adequate, and the Ramsey is hard to beat.  As I said above, I didn't pick mine out, but I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.  They're cheap and hard to beat.  Wind it up with a nice synthetic line and still end up CHEAPER than most Warn or MileMarker equivalents.

Again, just my  :twocents:

The trailer still gets the cheapo HF winch though, unless I stumble across another free Ramsey...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:53:03 PM »
i went with warn due to reliablility and what i have heard from other people. i got an M8000 for 589 shipped to my door in 2 days.

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2005, 07:30:55 AM »
I've got a Warn 9.5ti.  IMO this is one of the nicest winches you could ever put on a Toyota.  No external boxes, a Bosch motor.  Really it all depends how much $$ you want to spend.
in the projects nooga, anything goes

RE:Todd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2005, 08:04:20 AM »
Warn 8K or better, no substitute  8)  8)
TinBenders
Carnage Champs 2002/2003
Formula Toy #006
Thanks to:  Deaver Springs, High Angle Driveline, Rock Buggy Supply, Bilstein Shocks, Toyota SuperAxles (Longfield), Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply, PRP Seats, Rockstomper.com

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:10:02 AM »
I had a ramsey rep8000 , it worked fine until I got wedged in a rut and toasted it trying to pull myself out. Now I have a Warn 8274 that I bought used for $400 , and it's worth every penny of it.

There is a new brand of winch out called T-Max , I have seen a few of these and they seem to be an excellent winch for the price.
 You can buy a 9500lb for barely over $500. If I was going to buy a new one I might consider one of these. If you want a used one go with a Warn , they're proven.   there's my  :twocents:
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 369
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2005, 03:24:14 PM »
had a warn 8000,  bomber.  how about the newer mile marker 8000, and 9000? 4wheel drive parts has them on sale all the time for like 350.00 and 450.00 with roller fairleads and cover ect.  an idea but im kind of cautious of going with anything besides a warn again, if anyone has expirience with these let me know.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2005, 03:46:18 PM »
 :twocents: See, most of you most likley use your winches for short pulls over bolders or up hills. I on the other hand have been known to winch for almost two hours in thick mud without a break except to pull out the cable again and hook up. This is where you get into a real swampy spot and nobody can get to you and the only winch you have is on the front. You have to winch yourself around and back out. This will burnup almost any electric winch made unless it is water cooled or somthing. If you don't use a winch like that then buy an electric model. I am going to keep my hydrolic for the front and get an electric for the rear. Now if you can get a PTO winch that would be cool.

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2005, 04:48:01 PM »
Hey thanks for the advice, I went ahead and ordered a t-max australian winch (assembled in china of course)  its an 1100 lb unit and it was a fairly good price (599 free shipping) I ordered it from e-winches.com as soon as i find a way to mount ti I will let you guys know how she pulls. I also have to throw a gm alt since my 45 amp napa will not cut it.

Luke

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2005, 05:45:13 PM »
:twocents: See, most of you most likley use your winches for short pulls over bolders or up hills. I on the other hand have been known to winch for almost two hours in thick mud without a break except to pull out the cable again and hook up. This is where you get into a real swampy spot and nobody can get to you and the only winch you have is on the front. You have to winch yourself around and back out. This will burnup almost any electric winch made unless it is water cooled or somthing. If you don't use a winch like that then buy an electric model. I am going to keep my hydrolic for the front and get an electric for the rear. Now if you can get a PTO winch that would be cool.
Like this...for example....(even if we had seen the sign in the first place, I doubt it would have stopped us!)  :driving: Mark, how much did it take to get us out of this one again?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2005, 06:11:41 PM »
This was of corse after the hard pull was over and you (MWM) were able to get to the other side of that sign. We wound up using all 100' of cable, two 30' straps and 60' of chain. Even that allmost didn't make it to the closest tree.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2005, 06:21:17 PM »
That was a fun trailride. Deland to Astor, FL, about 25 miles, navigating trails through Ocala National Forest.  :driving:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2005, 09:15:36 PM »
Yes Florida mudd is legendary in reaching up and grabbing your truck. I live in the so, cal desert right now, going mudding is fun in the five weeks it acually rains here But after it all dries on your truck it looks like you went wheeling through kitty litter. I will post some pics later

benman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Upwego!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2005, 09:15:55 PM »
Does anyone know for sure if a stock Toyota p/s pump on the 22RE is powerful enough to run a Mile Marker winch?

If it's not, is there an upgrade/mod to make it work WELL?

Also, I read somewhere that Marlin has banned them from trail runs, why is this?

Killer deal on those 8000# ramsey winches for free and 150 bucks new, if I could do that there would be no further consideration!

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2005, 11:03:52 PM »
They run best with a GM pump and trans cooler on the return. The Toy pump may not have enough pressure causing the winch to stall before full loading is reached. I know the Nissan pump wasn't good enough.

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:05:01 AM »
I run a warn mx8000 that has been around the block a few times. I love the thing. Just wish I could say the same about the optima batterys that keep dieing on me.