Author Topic: TOYOTA WEAK SPOTS!! Ordered list of the things that break first  (Read 20067 times)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
When would hub gears fail?
With front locker.

Frames cracks at the front hanger.

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
 :dunno: maybe its an east coast thing. FRAMES!  always on the back side of the frame rail right next to the gas tank, seems like little rocks and grit get trapped between the tank and frame and rub a hole in it
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

95toyrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -124
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
Stock engine mounts
1995 toyota 4runner, sr5, 5" sas, ome 863 coils, extended links, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=51430.0 SOLD

1996 Toyota Tacoma ex-2wd, 2rz, 3link 14"FOAs, dual ultimate cases, chevy rear, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91724.0 SOLD

2001 Taco Dcab, king coilovers, 4.56 gears, detroit, 33's, SOLD

1999 Taco extracab, 3.4 5 speed, sas'd on one tons, 37" km2's, spooled front, detroit rear, bobbed, tirecarrier, hydro asist, high steer. SOLD

2005 4runner, sway-a-way coilovers, all pro rear 3.5 springs, 285 ko2's on method NVs SOLD

2016 4unner Trail, Icon stage 6, 285/75 Toyo's, full armor

88 4runner SAS, 37's, duals, etc

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
ignitions wear out and you can start the rig with anything you can fit in the hole
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
This thread seem skind of unfair... You could just baout pregnant dog about almost anything posted so far on any make or model of older rig. :dunno:

And a lot of the stuff seems like a driver error item... A stock driveshaft or hub or whatever isnt gonna hold up to the weight of a vehicle on it or running big tires and a front locker on any rig without some work. :twocents:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Well said Blake!  Maintenance and abuse speak volumes, and the same type of people flog the Toyota they bought to replace the ranger they had.  I've beat unmercifull on the toyotas I've owned and had surprisingly few issues, many of which perpetuated by laziness or due to having inferior aftermarket parts. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
The rear c-clip axles always break in a notch and the dana 30 front shafts break like glass under only moderate load... oh wait that was all my buddies with jeeps.  :)

To put in in perspective, I wheel with jeep guys who break something major nearly EVERY TIME we go wheeling.  Toyotas do have some weak spots for Toyotas, but compered to some of these other rigs they are vastly superior!

That being said my stock 4 speed in my '80 just took a crap and before the SAS on my '94 I broke alot of CVs.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

slabcs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 329
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Everything Toyota is a weak spot.  That said, you can make parts last forever or you can grenade your entire truck if you're trying to.  I feel that this thread has missed a couple important points.

I'm basing this post off of a Toyota running all Toyota drivetrain and 37" tires.  Think cookie cutter Toyota trail rig.  This is what I've had the most experience with personally, and from watching others.

New birfs are the first step.  37's will pop stock birfs before any other parts most of the time.  If you're strapped for cash or don't want to dump too much into a Toyota axle, I've seen 27 spline chromo birfs and stock inners hold up to a lot.  Longfield's are great, and come with a warranty.  Both the 30 spline set and the 27 spline set are plenty strong.  You will not worry about shafts again.

Steering, go high steer with an IFS box.  Most do.  Stock push-pull will not take abuse, the J-arm will break.  I've never seen anybody blow up the FJ80 tie rod ends that come in the package, those will be fine.  Not saying it can't happen, it's just not something I worry about.  If you add hydro assist or go full hydro, the weak link in your steering will be the knuckle studs.  Put ARP's in if you do.

Hubs, the stock Aisin hubs are very strong.  The weak link is the hub studs.  Stock hub gears, in my experience, will hold up longer than the stock studs will.  If you put ARP hub studs in, then I'd put the Longfield hub gears in.

Diffs, gear it if you drive on the street. I haven't been convinced that any ratios are particularly stronger than others.  Shock loads kill diffs.  If you're on an incline pinning it and hopping around, I'd be most worried about the rear diff.  Put a V6 diff in the rear because there is no good reason not to, high pinion in the front if you can.

For lockers, ARB's won't break unless you're engaging and disengaging them while moving quickly, e-lockers have one weak side gear, and Detroits have been known
to break from the shock load of a shaft breaking.

Stock rear shafts are very strong.  I've seen a lot more blown up rear diffs than I have seen broken shafts.  I wouldn't bother upgrading them.  If you break one, spares are cheap and easy to find.  I'd say shafts will pop if the tire is very bound up or trying to climb an undercut ledge very slowly.

As far as the drivetrain goes,  transfer case output shafts and input shafts are the two common breaks.  Rules of thumb here are: 21 spline crawl box + 21 spline rear case = broken rear case input shaft.  21 spline crawl box + 23 spline rear case = broken output shaft.  If you put Longfield's chromoly output shaft in the tcase, you move the weak link to the front output.  There is a chromo front output available now if you continue to go through tcase breaks.  If you're breaking things this far up into your drivetrain, think about ditching Toyota stuff.

The front axle housing itself is a weak link.  They are easy to bend.  Gusset them.  I'm on my third one.  If you like to jump your truck or charge through whoops with your solid front axle, that's when the housing will bend and when you should be worried about your trunion bearings and pins.  Aftermarket housings are available and stronger than stock.

Only other thing I can think of is Toyota driveshaft u-joints.  Toyota made these out of Unobtainium.  If you break a stock Toyota driveshaft u-joint, feel proud of yourself.  Very rarely do these let go.
Relentless

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
-IFS R&P's 86-95
-CV's
-Stock birfs & axle seals
-21 splines in 2nd case
-plastic timing guides
-radiators
-IFS steering idler arm
-4cyl rear spider gear
-SA steering components, mostly J arms and tierods
-window regulators
-rear slider latches
-stock 4'' speakers
-horn brass connector
-3.0 head gaskets and 22r/e head gaskets if you get them hot
-22re IAC valves
I've managed to snap one rear ujoint.... and a 1st/2nd gear shift fork,  but i was askin for it :yupyup:
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2010, 07:02:02 PM by twistedtoy92 »
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Good list TT.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

matchan420

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Bank account, broke...

09roramo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
shifter seats for the 5 speeds always wear out. i bought the marlin shifter seats and it shifts like a dream. makes u feel like your trans is new.

clutch slave and master start leaking pretty quick and when the master leaks it leaves fluid on the floor by the clutch. (good reason why a lot of people's floors rust out over there)

for the 1st and 2nd gens rust in the door gutters on the roof. it sucks
'84 toyota pickup 4x4
22r, 38 weber, 261C cam, headers
4" all pro springs, 5.5" shackles
4:88 gears with e-locker in rear

2001 Dbl cab tacoma 4wd
5 speed conversion
Pavement pounder

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
I ripped the 3rd out of the rear axel on the Rubicon.  :chew: on that.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

95toyrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -124
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
Everything Toyota is a weak spot.  That said, you can make parts last forever or you can grenade your entire truck if you're trying to.  I feel that this thread has missed a couple important points.

I'm basing this post off of a Toyota running all Toyota drivetrain and 37" tires.  Think cookie cutter Toyota trail rig.  This is what I've had the most experience with personally, and from watching others.

New birfs are the first step.  37's will pop stock birfs before any other parts most of the time.  If you're strapped for cash or don't want to dump too much into a Toyota axle, I've seen 27 spline chromo birfs and stock inners hold up to a lot.  Longfield's are great, and come with a warranty.  Both the 30 spline set and the 27 spline set are plenty strong.  You will not worry about shafts again.

Steering, go high steer with an IFS box.  Most do.  Stock push-pull will not take abuse, the J-arm will break.  I've never seen anybody blow up the FJ80 tie rod ends that come in the package, those will be fine.  Not saying it can't happen, it's just not something I worry about.  If you add hydro assist or go full hydro, the weak link in your steering will be the knuckle studs.  Put ARP's in if you do.

Hubs, the stock Aisin hubs are very strong.  The weak link is the hub studs.  Stock hub gears, in my experience, will hold up longer than the stock studs will.  If you put ARP hub studs in, then I'd put the Longfield hub gears in.

Diffs, gear it if you drive on the street. I haven't been convinced that any ratios are particularly stronger than others.  Shock loads kill diffs.  If you're on an incline pinning it and hopping around, I'd be most worried about the rear diff.  Put a V6 diff in the rear because there is no good reason not to, high pinion in the front if you can.

For lockers, ARB's won't break unless you're engaging and disengaging them while moving quickly, e-lockers have one weak side gear, and Detroits have been known

Stock rear shafts are very strong.  I've seen a lot more blown up rear diffs than I have seen broken shafts.  I wouldn't bother upgrading them.  If you break one, spares are cheap and easy to find.  I'd say shafts will pop if the tire is very bound up or trying to climb an undercut ledge very slowly.

As far as the drivetrain goes,  transfer case output shafts and input shafts are the two common breaks.  Rules of thumb here are: 21 spline crawl box + 21 spline rear case = broken rear case input shaft.  21 spline crawl box + 23 spline rear case = broken output shaft.  If you put Longfield's chromoly output shaft in the tcase, you move the weak link to the front output.  There is a chromo front output available now if you continue to go through tcase breaks.  If you're breaking things this far up into your drivetrain, think about ditching Toyota stuff.

The front axle housing itself is a weak link.  They are easy to bend.  Gusset them.  I'm on my third one.  If you like to jump your truck or charge through whoops with your solid front axle, that's when the housing will bend and when you should be worried about your trunion bearings and pins.  Aftermarket housings are available and stronger than stock.

Only other thing I can think of is Toyota driveshaft u-joints.  Toyota made these out of Unobtainium.  If you break a stock Toyota driveshaft u-joint, feel proud of yourself.  Very rarely do these let go.

this is some good stuff
1995 toyota 4runner, sr5, 5" sas, ome 863 coils, extended links, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=51430.0 SOLD

1996 Toyota Tacoma ex-2wd, 2rz, 3link 14"FOAs, dual ultimate cases, chevy rear, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91724.0 SOLD

2001 Taco Dcab, king coilovers, 4.56 gears, detroit, 33's, SOLD

1999 Taco extracab, 3.4 5 speed, sas'd on one tons, 37" km2's, spooled front, detroit rear, bobbed, tirecarrier, hydro asist, high steer. SOLD

2005 4runner, sway-a-way coilovers, all pro rear 3.5 springs, 285 ko2's on method NVs SOLD

2016 4unner Trail, Icon stage 6, 285/75 Toyo's, full armor

88 4runner SAS, 37's, duals, etc

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
x2   nicely stated

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
I ripped the 3rd out of the rear axel on the Rubicon.  :chew: on that.

hell yeah
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
the horn, e-brake, bent front housings, window cranks

I had to run outside and make sure you didn't steal my truck
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
I had an air powered blender that stripped its spline once, at a stopover between Caples and Strawberry.  I like my Margaritas blended not stirred.    :beerchug:  Blender write-up coming soon.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I had an air powered blender that stripped its spline once, at a stopover between Caples and Strawberry.  I like my Margaritas blended not stirred.    :beerchug:  Blender write-up coming soon.

:rofl:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Yoda4x478

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Transmissions...

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
i kinda like being able to take the keys out while the truck is running, it comes in handy sometimes
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
 pickup tailgate latches, I've replaced two.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Transmissions...

troo ive replaced probably 5 reverse gears in my own transmissions
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
those reverse gears seem to be problematic in the W-series transmissions. I have seen SO many of my friends trucks with blown reverse gears
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
yuppp was in my w-56's
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
4runner rear window switch . i love 12 volt guys direct switch

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile

I have broken everything stated here except for a front output.

I'm about ready to ditch the Toyota :pokinit: if this keeps happening.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

k-nutty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
the pull out cup holders!!!

79yota4x

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
i kinda like being able to take the keys out while the truck is running, it comes in handy sometimes
but it sucks when you dump your truck on its side and the keys fly out and you cant find them to turn it off :p happens all the time
Get oN iT anD Stay on iT
79 pickup doved, locked, half cage, boggers
88 ext pickup linked with fox airs up front, 39.5 iroks,Beadlocks, 5.29s, 4.7s, chromolys, 6shooters, hp arb,  spool and 56 chevys in the rear

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
thats where a battery disconnect comes in real handy :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)