Author Topic: Making sliders of sorts need your thoughts  (Read 2807 times)

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Making sliders of sorts need your thoughts
« on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
Ok I had normal tube sliders on my rig but since its a 1st gen longbed there isnt a slider i could find that was the correct length.  The ones I was using were cut down extended cab sliders but they never really fit right since cutting them to exact length I wanted would have required me to bend pipe to fix the ends.  So instead of going thru all that I came up with these sliders youll see.  Main issue is what I had pictured in my head and what they really look like to me is well not good but maybe im over thinking it.  Heres a few pics of the drivers side just at the mock up stage.  Let me know what you think. I know when they are done they would hold up to just bout any abuse I can dish out
If I decide tomorrow to go with it, I will be using 4 tie points to the frame so once its set its not going anywhere. 

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Making sliders of sorts need your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2010, 11:46:34 PM »
Not a bad start, are you only going to use them as rocker panel protection, or as a lifting point for a hi-lift as well?
Make sure to leave yourself about 1/4" gap between the slider and the cab, the cab will move around enough to rattle on them if you don't.  If you are going to weld them to the frame, I would recommend replacing the body mounts before doing so, you can also get by w/about an 1/8" clearance between the sliders and the cab w/new body mounts
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2010, 12:06:04 AM »
I wanted to do something diff but a few things kept me from getting the sliders to fit right. Main thing is the drip rail on the bottom of cab is gonna make it hard to seat it as I high I was wanted to and cut for.  I am sure if I cut a little less it would have worked better but I will make do.  I was actually planning on welding a plate which would run from the top of the outside edge at the cab and have it slant down and weld it to the inside of the square tube. Main this was to give my cab some extra protection when I the cab moves but the gap is going to be most important.  I hadnt made plans for adapting it for a hi lift but it shouldnt be hard to do so.  One of the things I really wanted to try was to cut a foot hole in the slider to help get in but I dont think it will work the way it is now.  I am pretty close to just boat siding it to the cab itself and calling it good. Well see what happens tomorrow. 

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2010, 12:53:44 AM »
You could come up at abut a 30-40* angle off of the rocker panel section and run another tube, i.e. ladder style.  The second tube would give you more protection and act as a small foot hold.  The second tube runs just below the bottom of the door and comes out from the truck a few inches.  4crawler makes something similar.

Here are a few pics of square and round on a 1st gen:

They angle up as as well.  It wouldn't take much to have a shop bend you a few 90's, about $5-15/bend, if you wanted something similar.

I myself prefer them to be flat, they stick out a little bit more, but they work better for foot holds and when using a high lift.

You could tack a couple of stubs to the frame that the legs off of the slider would slide onto, this would make it a lot easier for you during the mock up stage.

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2010, 01:02:14 AM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2010, 07:05:48 AM »
I had tube sliders on it before and I didnt like how far they stick out.  If this idea didnt work out I was gonna make some square tube sliders. 

Jrod

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
You should really consider boat siding it.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2010, 06:49:47 AM »
Next time you cut down tube sliders or whatever and have to worry about the ends, just cut the bent end off, then cut the length needed to shorten it, then reweld the end back on.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:32:40 PM »
I am all about the high, tight and straight..  Super bash proof too with my low rigs..  1-1/4" Schedule 80 pipe, 4 tie in points to the frame with 1x2" 1/4 wall rectangle tube, cant see it from the pic but the angle matches the fenders on the ends.. I like the kind of sliders you are making on jeeps for sure but the jeep has a right angle body instead of the rounded look of the toyota..I would like to see you complete these ones and work them into he body making them super clean..  keep us posted

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010, 09:38:31 PM by Pat »
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:43:08 PM »
I am running short on time since ill be on the trail friday night so I am gonna use some left over 4 link 2" DOM 1/4" wall tube like whats on your rig.  If I had the time I would finish them up.   The main issue is for them to look right I would need to cut the rocker panel out and cut some off the bed so it would be very timing consuming.  I just have too many other things to get done before I leave.  As long as my rockers are protected then im fine waiting on them.