Author Topic: 1979 toyota questions  (Read 4362 times)

Toyota+in+Florida

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
1979 toyota questions
« on: Jun 14, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
OK i took a leap of faith a couple of weeks ago and bought this 1979 Toyota pickup sight unseen in Raleigh, NC for $2000. I spent 16 hours on a train to pic it up. After finding out it needed more work than what the guy said i figured i try to drive it home. After all the train had left and it would have been a long walk home. So  i drove it all the way back to Tampa in the dark of night without tail lights, brake lights or turn signals,  a shattered windshield, tags, fuel gauge, insurance or a clue as to what i have gotten myself into.   Yes  made it without meeting "the bad humormen". Probably only because it was Memorial day weekend . With all that said  i have begun to put this beast back together.

So i have fixed just about all the problems and have changed all the fluids except the transmission fluids. I am completely puzzled by this thing. I think it is a l-43 transmission. It is a 4 speed with the shifter that goes into the side. Other than that it has a leak and i want to fill it.     

How is the fluid put in the transmission? what is the capacity? What is the viscosity?

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: 1979 toyota questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
There should be a drain plug on the bottom, remove it and drain the oil.  There should be a similar bolt on the side of the tranny about halfway up, remove this and fill to spill.  

Sounds like allot of problems for $2,000?  I'm not knocking you just saying, maybe it has a cherry body?  Get your post count up and post us some pics!  And congrats by the way!   :beerchug:

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
Thank you so much. I will look into that. If you can get a picture of the fill plug it would help alot.

the truck has a pretty much rust free body. 2 small patches less than the size of a dollar not all the way through. The engine, transfer case, locking hubs were rebuilt, there are headers, a holly carb, electrical fuel pump and a ton of other little upgrades done to this thing. When i hit the gas it goes like crazy.    They primered it ready for paint. And it came with 2 sets of  tires and rims. One set were 3 month old 34" TSL super swampers on chrome rims and a set of 235 's on aluminum rims for street use.  I have about $2250 in it with all expenses including travel and parts. The pics will be up when i get enough posts.

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »
i found what maybe a fill plug mid way on the driver's side of the transmission.  If i'm worng can i do any damage by removing it to check?

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
No you can't there is nothing in the trans that will fall out by taking off 1 bolt. But that bolt is usually the only bolt in that area if I remember correctly.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
ok thanks.  i know dip about these 4x4 trucks.  i'm pushing foward on this thing some more this weekend. I about have it back to a respectable condition.

i'm can't upload the photos. It keeps saying the file is too large.

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
Get a photobucket account, upload the pictures and then copy the "img code" and paste it where you want the picture in the post. 
83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »
Good luck, it sounds like it's going to be your first build. I can't wait to see the pictures.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
This weekend i changed (more like filled)  the transmission and transfer case fluids. There was less than a quart of emulsified gear oil combined that drained from both boxes. I to put about 6 quarts back in to top it off. It never made any noise. got hot, or had any trouble shifting. I think i may want to start the hunt for another transmission to rebuild.
After showing my neighbor what little fluid was in there he renounced loyalty to fords and is going to convert to Toyota. 3 days later he is still amazed i didn't break something running 70mph on the interstate for 13 hours.

Here is the first go with photo bucket images.    http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/bryanlendz/

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2010, 02:31:12 PM »
That's not good but if it doesn't make any noise run it. I would start shopping for a w series just because it's a lot stronger of a tranny. Good luck with your truck. I'm glad you got that thing filled before something broke.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2010, 05:13:31 PM »
The whole project literally screeched to a hault today .  I adjusted the valves and hooked up some wiring. I took the truck to run an arrand to test the performance. I just pulled off the highway, made a turn into a drive and blam i got passed by my wheel and tire. Some how i lost all 6 lugnuts in 3 miles.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »
i did that once i was so pumped to dirve my truck again i completly forgot to tighten the 4th wheel made it about 20 miles and my truck started bouncing like crazy pulled off into a gas station and found i had lost all but one lug which was wedged in so the wheel couldnt fall off lol i was pissed
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »
Lug nuts, there for a reason.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »
Well i was going to recommend maybe changing your tranny oil in another couple thousand miles. A "flush" if you will.

But i see that you have other issues at the moment.

Do you have a damage check yet? If your rotor got damaged you might be able to find someone around you that upgraded and has the old ones? a cheaper way out, other wise up grade that stuff.

As for posting pics, you got the photobucket down, now, by every pic there is a img link. [img*** width=800 height=600]http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/bryanlendz/1979toyota085.jpg[/img] without the stars. turns into this

Sick truck by the way
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
Heres what happened when mine fell of going 70mph down the freeway, crazy as hell. Slapped a wheel back on, and have been drivin it like that for about 3 months. Needless to say, I CRANK down on my lug nuts now.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Needless to say, I CRANK down on my lug nuts now.

This can be just as bad. much harder to fix. Less problems with things if they are torqued to spec  :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2010, 11:26:20 PM by Early »

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »
No reason to EVER torque a hilux lug over 85.  Kinda as Early said, there's a reason for the torque specs  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »
That's nuts.... I have forgotten to tighten mine to but I noticed it almost as soon as I drove out the drive way. I remember thinking what is that funny sound? And sure enough.

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
off topic im sorry, but we were trying to get a wheel off a buddies 89 runner, no lug nuts, biggest hammer we had. Drove the truck up and down the street and the wheel wouldn't come off. fused to the hub

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 22, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »
I wasnt driving when it happened, I was in passenger seat, truck hit the ground and slid like a boat for about 1/4 mile before we stopped, still to this day dont know where the tire and drum went, somewhere on I-5. I know I should torque them, but there off and on so many times that it becomes a pain, so I just make sure they are real tight.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
Get a big dead blow hammer like a tire shop uses... That will get it off.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
i found what maybe a fill plug mid way on the driver's side of the transmission.  If i'm worng can i do any damage by removing it to check?
if its a 17mm  thats your fill plug,  fill with 80/90 gear oil till it runs out that hole

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »

:yesnod:  doesn't have to be dead blow though, we just have a big hammer.  Not at all uncommon for wheels to become rusted or corroded to the hub, though it's much less common on toyotas than it is chryslers.  Clean the crap out of the hub before you remount.

And I can't stress enough, do NOT just tighten your lugs till they're tight.  There are reasons why each vehicle has a specific lug torque, and you'd be surprised by how quickly 85 lb ft comes on a torque wrench, I do it multiple times each day.  You're only making things harder on yourself further down the road.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »

I guess i said that weird, driving on the wheel up and down the street with no lug nuts. swerving. hitting pot holes. This was tried after the sledge (and not a little one). Im not to woried about it, he wasn't either. I won't be going into the woods with him though. Don't want to try and change a flat in the middle of no where.

So back to yota'n'flori, any updates, how's your rotor look?

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »
Damage report:  The dust cover surrounding the rotor was pretty screwed up. I had to use some big pry bars to pull in off the rotor. The rotor looks like the rust got taken off. There was a 1 inch deep rut in the road. Any ways i'm glad nobody got hurt. I would of been screwed if i didnt happen in an idustrial park. Special thanks to JR Long for the use of their lull and their stack of tools. 6 more lug nuts and i was babying it home. I think it had something to do with it being an aluminum rim. Maybe i didn't have it all the way home when i dicided it was tight enough.
2 weeks i pulled the wheels. The lugs nuts were of there so tight 2 of us had to use a couple 3 foot long pieces of pipe to get them off. I thought they were way too tight.  Now i'm minus 1 stud on the rear. May i should put them back that tight so i don't get passed by parts from my truck again.

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 23, 2010, 11:36:07 PM »
I think it had something to do with it being an aluminum rim.

There are different styles of lug nuts...

Glad everything worked out, and three cheers for JR Long. (im assuming a shop in the industrial area where you lost a wheel.

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
Hey guys i took the truck out riding around the woods. The first time i locked in the 4x4 i experienced a major problem. I think the transfer case is shot.  It grinds and lugs the engine  almost to stalling when a load is put on the front axle. That's turning the wheels and rolling up a slight incline. Not to mention a bad growl with some pops. After puttin it back into 2wd and letting the hubs stay locked in the made a consistant rattling noise as the wheels turned. When hubs are then disengaged i turn the drive shaft and the noise is definitely coming from the t-case. So I'm looking for a replacement.
i found a guy with a 4.7:1 transfer case and twin sticks  and a w56 tranny. Could i cram that thing in my rig without major fabrication work?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 02, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »
I wonder if you have the same gears in the front and rear axles? 
RIP KYOTA

Toyota+in+Florida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 06, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »
i don't know if they are the same. How can i check if they are? 

Just in case I picked up a l43 tranny, transfer case, new clutch, brake booster, cluth and brake master cylinders, fly wheel, stock manifolds, manifolds, a  steering box and a huge box of other  stuff this weekend for $250. The way i figure i can resell the parts i dont need to get my money back for what ever is wrong.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #29 on: Jul 06, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
Jack up your truck rotate the tires by hand and count how many times the ds's rotates. If they are equal the gearing is the same, if not they're not.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you