Author Topic: welding birfields  (Read 7490 times)

85toycrawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Re: welding birfields
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »
hahahaha. the hate is strong over here on marlin today.  i felt like i was reading a thread on pirate.   i say give it a shot, especially if its a spare.  what hurt could it do... 
Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

GloNDark

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 282
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
We welded one up on Rubicon way back in the day. Buddy had his knuckle studs sheer off, and while replacing the knuckle studs someone noticed the crack in the Birf. We used an air cut off wheel and ground out a nice trench in the birf and welded it up. It was ugly and not smooth but it was a nice weld, we never ground it down, we slapped it back together and wheeled it from Big Sluice out the tahoe side with no issues. He was a cheap b*std like me and ran it for a couple more months before finally breaking it completely out at moonrocks. And he drives that truck like it's his ex-girlfriends, so I know it saw it's fair share of abuse.

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »
hahahaha. the hate is strong over here on marlin today.  i felt like i was reading a thread on pirate.   i say give it a shot, especially if its a spare.  what hurt could it do... 

sorry, i felt the same way.

We welded one up on Rubicon way back in the day. Buddy had his knuckle studs sheer off, and while replacing the knuckle studs someone noticed the crack in the Birf. We used an air cut off wheel and ground out a nice trench in the birf and welded it up. It was ugly and not smooth but it was a nice weld, we never ground it down, we slapped it back together and wheeled it from Big Sluice out the tahoe side with no issues. He was a cheap b*std like me and ran it for a couple more months before finally breaking it completely out at moonrocks. And he drives that truck like it's his ex-girlfriends, so I know it saw it's fair share of abuse.
thanks for input.  that more of what i was hoping to hear.  still havn't got around to doing it, but i'll post up when i do. 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
Don't even bother, you'll just waste your time. Get a new stock birf from a buddy and throw this cracked one in the trail box as a "better than nothing" spare...
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"